BF2 (legit) locks up at splash screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 (legit) locks up at splash screen

I am having trouble getting BF2 to run. The problem is the game locks up at the BF2 splashscreen.

This is not a requirments issue I do not believe. I am installing this on a Dell 9300, 1.8 centrino, 1GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce with 256MB.

I have installed a torrented copy of BF2 and ran the game with no problem. The torrent copy used a ***** BF2.exe. I liked the game, it ran fine with no performance problems, so I decided to buy it.

I uninstalled the copy I had and then installed the retail version. The install went fine. Upon start up of the game, the game locks up at the splashscreen.

There is some type of disconnect going on that I am unable to figure out. I have installed/uninstalled several times to no avail. I have even taken the full retail version, installed it, then used the ***** bf2.exe and the game will run fine.

The game simply will not run from CD.

Now, I have not tried to use a virtual drive program like Alcohol 120 and see if that works. I have doubts that it will since running from the CD results in a hang up at the splash screen. Using a virtual drive would probably yield the same results.

I know the game will run on this machine, it's proven. A buddy has the exact same system as I do, he used the same torrent'd copy then bought the retail version and had no install problems running the retail version from CD.

Any ideas would be great as to how to solve this problem.

Re: BF2 (legit) locks up at splash screen

Using a ***** and you have to get one that fits what version you are using of BF2. A ***** of BF2 v1.0 won't work on BF2 v1.2 . IMO don't use *****s that replace the orgianal .exe because you will only run into problems when updating the game or when going to servers that have custom Punkbuster checks and kick for mismatched .exe files.

Just make an ISO of your CD/DVD or download the 4 MB mini-ISO and mount it in Alcohol or Daemon Tools and will most likely work.

Why it won't work with the CD/DVD drive can simply be a case of copy-protetion working too good and causing troubles.

Comment

Okay, I will give it a try and see. I have read about the ***** not working with the new patches, I bought SF and found that out when it patched to 1.11 hence the reason I bought the legit copy of BF2. I'll give Alcohol a try and see if that works. Thanks

Comment

Hmm, still no dice on getting it to work.

One thing that is odd, one time during the several installations of the retail copy I clicked "register now". During that process towards the end, I received a messaging saying the key was invalid. I then typed in the same CD-Key I had typed in before. It accepted the Key. I am not really sure why it told me this. I have read issues when the game says CD-Key not valid, however during installation I was never told this. Only when I was registering the game. Even then, I typed the same key and it was accepted.

Another thing, when I installed the torrent'd copy there was an ERGC folder in the registery. However, when I install the retail copy there is not an ERGC folder with the registry key.

I am at a loss. I am going to install the torrent'd copy I have, use my retail copy's cd-key and try to mount the torrent'd mdf file and see if that works.

BTW the mini-iso threw an error. I made the mini-iso file from the retail copy. Used Alcohol to make the mini-iso. Used DT to mount the image. When I run the game, the splashscreen comes up, and then I get an error window talking about bf2.exe encountering a problem and has to close. clicking on the details it says the following more or less:
        AppName: bf2.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName.~df394b.tmp ModVer:0.0.0.0 Offset:000c486b

I don't have a clue what all that means.

This is supposed to be simple. Fat chance.

Comment

Originally posted by dps50
          This is supposed to be simple. Fat chance.
          Morale of the story, you brought it on yourself... at least in part by using a torrent version

If the ergc folder is missing and registry is messed up may I suggest to do a clean and manual uninstall of BF2, which includes registry entries???

Then install only from the org. CD version and use mini-iso.

Comment

Just a thought, do you run norton internet security, because before i allowed BF2 access it just used to freeze up too, so if you have NIS make sure you allow it access

Comment

Okay, I take back that about the ERGC file. It was infact present after the retail install. The CD-Key was in the encrypted format that has been mentioned on EA's site. I changed it, tried to run, still locks at the splash screen.

Re-made a mini-iso and tried to run, same thing.

hehe, yah karma is a b!tch. But that last time I bought a game straight off the shelf (NFSMW) I spent a week trying to get it to run only to have EA say it wasn't tested for a laptop and I ended up returning it.

I do have Mcafee, I will look into that as well. Yet another round of uninstall/re-install.

Comment

Both bf2.exe and bf2_w32ded.exe has "allow full acess"

Comment

Okay, I think it is working. I got it to run 1 minute ago. It is running with no mini-iso. It is running directly from the CD-rom.

I went thru and did a manual uninstall. Then downloaded RegCleaner. I looked for anything named battlefield. There were 3 entires, deleted those.

I was about to try the mini-iso a try and but crossed my fingers and ran it straight from the CD. Low and behold it worked.

I guess somehow there was a registry entry from when I used the torrent'd version lingering around. Thta is my only guess. I attribute success to the RegCleaner. I wouldn't have found the entry without it. I had looked in the usual spots.

I have been d!cking with this since last night. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and in about 30 seconds I will be back to playing.

Take care.

Comment

I love it, it was a fluke.

When the game started, I was given an error about the screen being at 1920x1200. I didn't pay much attention. I was too happy to get the game running.

As soon as I tried to run the game again, I am faced with the same fate. The splashscreen comes up and the game hangs.

Gonna go back to the drawing board with this one. ciao for now.

Comment

You say your BF2 is "legit" and your trying to get it working with mini-iso

Comment

I am trying to get it working period. Would you like me to scan the receipt?

Comment

I have been able to get the game to run a half dozen times now. But not every single time. I am suspecting a issue with either the cd/dvd drive and or McAfee.

Here is how I have been able to run the game so far:

Boot up machine, when windows XP SP2 loads up I open McAfee personal firewall, open "allowed internet apps" check to see that bf2.exe and bf2_w32ded.exe are allowed full access. Click on start-->Program Files-->EA Games-->BF2

I can hear the drive spool up, the splash screen shows, the HD light flashes for a second, then the games starts running it's course.

I have quit the game, gone back to desktop and run the game the same way as described above. Runs great.

I have tried clicking on the icon on my desktop to run the game and I hear the drive spool up slowly, the head it sounds like it moving back and forth (cd/dvd drive) and the splash screen appears. However I get an error window telling me bf2.exe had a problem.

I have rebooted, run thru the sequence mentioned above, opening the McAfee crap, executing the game thru the start menu. I can typically get the game to run. The cd/dvd drive spools up albeit slowly and most the time will start the game. But not always.

This inconsistency with the drive is putting up a red flag. I know the McAfee personal firewall should send up another as well.

Especially since I just "disabled" the McAfee personal firewall and tried to run BF2 thru the start menu. The cd drive attempted to spool up, the light came on but never full got up to speed. I let it run it's course and it thru the bf2.exe error encounter window. Now, this next pass I enabled the firewall, ran bf2 thru the start menu. The cd-drive spooled all the way up, splash screen, then entered the game.

I think I have found the culprit. Strange that even with the firewall set to disabled, I can't run the game. But with it ENABLED I can. Gotta love it.

Comment

yay my firewall shizzle helped

Comment

Something is screwy, that is for sure. Half the time I can run the executable, the drive spools up and the games runs. Other times, the drive spins up and slowly spools down and I get a bf2.exe error encounter.

Comment

Working...
                              X