Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thief Deadly Shadows - Blue Screen of Death..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief Deadly Shadows - Blue Screen of Death..

I was playing Thief DS and I went to open a door and I got that annoying monotone screech and once I pressed another button on my keyboard my screen changes to the 'blue screen of death.'

Thinking it was a one-off glitch I did the same again and I got the screech and the screen once again. I've checked my CPU and GPU temps and they seem to be fine, infact they are lower on Thief than they are in games like Quake 4 and BF2 so I shouldn't think the temps are the problem.

I run it via WinLauncher due to it looping on the intro video when both cores are enabled.

I know this is a BF2 forum, but do any of you have any ideas as to why it's doing this and any ways to overcome it?

-Ben

Re: Thief Deadly Shadows - Blue Screen of Death..

Have you installed the latest patches?

Comment

Yep.

-Ben

Comment

:cussing: i hate the bsod (blue screen of death)

hey uncle_adolph, read this, then read below.

Types of blue screens
        Windows NT/2000/XP

Windows XP
        Windows 2000 (can be configured to display debug info like the example below)
        Windows NT 3.5In Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, a blue screen of death occurs when the kernel, or a driver running in kernel mode, encounters an error from which it cannot recover. This is usually caused by a driver that throws an unhandled exception or performs an illegal operation. The only safe action the operating system can take in this situation is to restart the computer. As a result, user data may be lost, because users are not given an opportunity to save data that has not yet been saved to disk.

Blue screens are known as "Stop errors" in the Windows Resource Kit documentation. They are referred to as "bug checks" in the Windows SDK, DDK, and WDK documentation..

The "Stop" message contains the error code and its symbolic name (e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) along with four error-dependent values in parentheses. Depending on the error code, it may display the address where the problem occurred, along with the driver which is loaded at that address. Under Windows NT and 2000, the second and third sections of the screen contain information on all loaded drivers and a stack dump, respectively. The driver information is in three columns; the first lists the base address of the driver, the second lists the driver's creation date (as a Unix timestamp), and the third lists the name of the driver. (Microsoft et al, 1996)

By default, Windows will create a memory dump file when a blue screen error occurs. Depending on the OS version, there may be several formats this can be saved in, ranging from a 64K "minidump" to a "complete dump" which is effectively a copy of the entire contents of physical RAM. The resulting memory dump file may be debugged later, using a kernel debugger. A debugger is necessary to obtain a stack trace, and may be required to ascertain the true cause of the problem; as the information onscreen is limited and thus possibly misleading, it may hide the true source of the error.

Windows can also be configured to send live debugging information to a kernel debugger running on a separate computer. (Windows XP also allows for local kernel debugging.) If a blue screen error is encountered while a live kernel debugger is attached to the system, Windows will halt execution and cause the debugger to "break in", rather than displaying the BSoD. The debugger can then be used to examine the contents of memory and determine the source of the problem.

The Windows debugger is available as a free download from Microsoft. [1]

Windows includes a feature that can be used to manually cause a blue screen. To enable it, the user must add a value to the Windows registry. After that, a BSoD will appear when the user presses the SCROLL LOCK key twice while holding the right CTRL key. [2] This feature is primarily useful for obtaining a memory dump of the computer while it is in a given state. As such, it is generally used to aid in troubleshooting system hangs.

A BSoD can also be caused by a critical boot loader error, where the operating system is unable to access the boot partition due to incorrect storage drivers or similar problems. The error code in this situation is STOP 0x0000007B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE). In such cases, there is no memory dump saved. Since the system is unable to boot in this situation, correction of the problem may require booting with the Microsoft Windows CD. After booting to the CD, it may be possible to correct the problem by performing a repair install or by using the Recovery Console (with CHKDSK).

make sure you get your drivers updated for your videocard, and also if you have to have your CD in the drive to play the game, it may be a good idea to get the drivers for your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM etc...

try what it says in bold above, then send me what it says in the blue screen (just copy and paste what it says) then with the memory block address you can usually figure out what the problem was.

I had this same problem a long time ago with a game called RED ALERT. back in 91-92

I had a 32MHz processor, 51MB HDD (yes a 51 MEGABYTE hard dsk drive), 8MB of RAM, no CDROM drive, no 3 1/2" floppy, just two 5-3/4 inch floppy disk drives (the real floppy disks) and Windows 3.1 installed. Whenever i tried a specific function in the game (i had to select a few tanks to guard this hill that overlooked the entrance to my base) it would read the floppy disk then bam! it would show the infamous BSOD. so i read the error program, and with Internet Explorer 1.7 i went online and found out that my floppy disk drive wasnt installed correctly. I installed it correctly then went on to playing the game!

i played until the next error popped up, of course

let me know! ill be happy to help!

Comment

Thanks!!!

I'm Dling the debugger now.

I noticed that it only appears when I do things on a certain map (Audale). The BSoD doesn't appear on any other maps so it may be an error with the map.

-Ben

Comment

Working...
          X