harddrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harddrives

i am looking to upgrade my harddrives now i know this is off topic of bf2 but i figured u players can help me. thier are 2 possibilies i am looking into doing. first is a 74 gb raptor and a 320 gb 7200rpmer. i would put windows and games on the raptor and have the 320 as my storageor i go for 2 320's in raid. i do not know much about raid so i dont know which would be better. so let me know wat u guys think they are 150 a harddrive so thanks for ur time.

Re: harddrives

RAID 0 for fast reads and performance, but no fault tolerance.

RAID 1 for mediocre performance but data is mirrored onto both drives, so data is not lost if one drive crashes.

Sounds like you want RAID 1 since you will have non-storage data on the Raptor

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html <-- read up if you want.

Comment

so i could have the raptor and the slower 320 gb on raid it doesnt have to be the same exact ? now my mother board has a raid 5 settings would that be better?

Comment

I used to have RAID... really all it did was screw up twice, first time data got so screwed up that programs were acting real funky and eventually Windows didn't start up and I had to reinstall. Second time Intel Storage Manager said a drive was messed up, but I didn't really notice anything weird.
        Anyway, now I don't have RAID and I really can't say that RAID gave me a performance boost. http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=10

Comment

Don't put these drives in Raid...They are different sizes and different speeds. You will only have the size of the smallest hard drive available. Just use them separately like you said and don't worry about RAID.

Comment

If you have 2 320 GB that are only for storage, then don't put them in RAID 0. you don't need speed for storage and if one drive fails data is lost on both drives.

The RAID 5 option is good for storage solutions because it will only use 1 harddrive for security no matter how many HDD in the array, so if you got 3x320 GB drives or more, RAID 5 is the way to go.

The size of a RAID 5 volume is e.g. if you have 3 100 GB drives => (100x3)-100=200 and with 4 hdds in a RAID 5 volume (4x100)-100 = 300. So the more drives in a RAID 5 volume, the loss of one drive for parity is less of a problem.
            So IMO if you only have 2x320 GB for storage then don't put them in a RAID 1 (security) or RAID 0 (performace - zero security), just use them as normal drives.

If you plan to use a 74 GB Raptor for system drive and for games why not get the new and better/faster 150 GB Raptors??
            Review of it here: http://www.storagereview.com/article...500ADFD_1.html

For security best pratice would normally be to use RAID 1 on the system drive.
            For home use, that is up to the user and if you can live with loosing your data if system HDD crashes. RAID 1 saves you in such situations.

RAID 0 is okay but hardly needed, just stick with normal drive configuration or RAID 5 for storage IMO.

If you mix the 74 GB Raptor and the 320 GB in a RAID config, you could create a RAID 0 drive but it would only be 74 GB and the speed of the drive would be the speed of the slowest hhd. So don't mix high performance HDDS with slower HDDs. The best way is to always use drives of same size and speed in RAID configurations.

In short use the Raptor for system and games, and use the 2x320 GB as normal drives with no RAID defined. If you get 3x320, then use RAID 5 option.

Take a look here for more info on RAID:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID look at bottom of page if you need more information.

Comment

well mayb since i am goin to spend 300 anyway i should opt for the 150 gb raptor. i can always get the 320 for storage or even a 250 gb cause they are so cheap.

Comment

The drives will have to be basically identical in ALL specs to run in a RAID array.

You don't need RAID 0 for simple storage of media/data.

set up a RAID 1 array if you want some fault tolerance, otherwise just leave it to a single drive.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJordus
                  The drives will have to be basically identical in ALL specs to run in a RAID array.
                  It isn't a necessity, but it would be prefered.

Comment

Well, its pretty much gonna be weird if its not the same size and speed of disks.

I think it definitely should be the same size if he is running RAID 1

Comment

ok so forget about raid i will get teh raptor 150 gb as main hd wit windows and agames and a 320 as a storage drive

Comment

Originally posted by bspun3D
                        ok so forget about raid i will get teh raptor 150 gb as main hd wit windows and agames and a 320 as a storage drive
                        Just found one more raptor 150 review from yesterday:

Comment

Working...
                        X