Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the MOD community being setup for a letdown??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the MOD community being setup for a letdown??

I've been thinking about how the BF2 community have been obsess with their stats and how when maps come out like the totalbf2 team map pack they can't even keep a server up and running for it since its always empty...

Now I'm sure the big mods like POE and Shattered Faith or even Forgotten Hope 2 will find a following... but what about all the other mods!?!?!

Can we honestly believe that a month after its release we'll find servers with 40 people in it!?

Now I don't want to discourage anyone but I wanted your taught on it and personally I don't know why some of the teams don't try and merge to create less but better mods.

Re: Is the MOD community being setup for a letdown??

Originally posted by Sgt Sly
    I've been thinking about how the BF2 community have been obsess with their stats and how when maps come out like the totalbf2 team map pack they can't even keep a server up and running for it since its always empty...

Now I'm sure the big mods like POE and Shattered Faith or even Forgotten Hope 2 will find a following... but what about all the other mods!?!?!

Can we honestly believe that a month after its release we'll find servers with 40 people in it!?

Now I don't want to discourage anyone but I wanted your taught on it and personally I don't know why some of the teams don't try and merge to create less but better mods.
    i agree with you ,that ppl are indeed obsesed(me included)with stas
    but i am looking forward to abr(alternative bf rankings)i tryed bf2statistics but that is hard toget wotking (for me anyhows)

if for example abr gets released from what i hacve read it should be easy enough to put in to mods ,thus creating a ranked mod which may or may not purswade ppl to play other mods.

ita just a matter of "whatchthisspace"
    im hoping that it will work with all mods.

Comment

I could see how it could attrack those who progressed enought to get all unlocks but the others will still want their official points...

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Sly

I totally agree with you about people being obsessed with stats. It's hard to find servers (with a low ping) with people in them unless you are looking at ranked at servers.

Everytime I log-in the first server I check is the US TBF2 Map Pack server and the most I ever see in that server is usually two people...that doesnt make for much of a game.

I too think mods like FH2 and POE2 will have a following but the mod community is definetely being hurt by stats. I personally play ranked servers because everytime a patch or booster pack comes out with new weapons, I'm hoping I have enough points to unlock those weapons.

Comment

I think those mods that already existed in BF1942/BF:V (PoE, FH, DC) will do very well in BF2 (especially from the ex-BF1942/BF:V players, for those mods that are completely new to BF2 only I think they'll have to create something pretty good to survive longer than a few weeks.

It doesn't surprise me that new maps and mini-mods don't really survive too long, I think their limited content tends to be insufficient enough to drag players away from their stats. Plus it's also difficult to find servers running the same maps. It's a real shame, because there are some good ones out there right now, such as DCON's CTF.

I think your idea of multiple mod teams merging together would be more beneficial to all, particularly all the members that put their time and effort into producing these mods.

Comment

I would love for the MapPack server to be populated again, I only got to play four maps, and now it seems there's never anyone on it.

Comment

Abolish Global Score. Leave everything else.

Comment

If there is one thing UT did better than BF2, it's the descimination of custom maps. You could log in to any server, running any map, and if you didn't have it, it would stream it to you. This was a huge boon to the custom map community. I feel that's one of BF2's short comings. EA or DICE needs to open up some kind of process to get community maps "certified" for ranked servers.

As far as full mods, it's hard to say...but I think the lack of ranked capable maps is hurting this game. Hell, I've only been playing for a short time, and I am already bored of most of the ranked maps.

Comment

Originally posted by slosh
                  ...I too think mods like FH2 and POE2 will have a following but the mod community is definetely being hurt by stats. I personally play ranked servers because everytime a patch or booster pack comes out with new weapons, I'm hoping I have enough points to unlock those weapons.
                  ya the stats thing is definately hurting mod servers. they should just make it so you can use your unlocks on non-ranked servers and keep it so you you only gain global points / time on ranked servers. that would be win/win.
                  "Crunch's First Officer"
                  twitter: @signaprime

Comment

i'd play on modded maps if they weren't almost always empty...

Comment

the mod problem is directly related to the mentality that stats bring, only way to get more players, is stats and unlocks in a mod.

Comment

I hope the smaller projects get together somehow... some of the mods coming out are really similar in theme and it would be pretty simple.

I just feel there will be a lot of dissappointment for those team...

Why would the Totalbf2 team even work toward another map pack when there latest great release isn't even being supported by the community!

Comment

i dont think the mods will be affected. fh2 and poe will not have stats because WHO NEEDS THEM there are no unlockable guns (to my knoledge), and stats tend to ruin a team oriented game. i stopped caring about stats a long time ago

Comment

I'm actually hoping and praying that the mods will be a huge hit. The big ones anyhow. I'm so tired of having to play on ranked servers just because they are the only ones with people in them.

If I get tk'd one more time while trying to get in a jet, I'm going to scream. If people weren't playing for points, but were playing just to win the game, this would be greatly diminished.

Comment

As soon as i've unlocked all the weapons thats when i'll start playing the mods especially FH2. Will probably have to start downloading them now they are that big these days. How long until they are out. Rough guess?

Comment

Working...
                              X