Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Won't start on Laptop

Hello all,

I guess I will first say that I am new here, I hope to be as cooperative as possible in helping you all to help me with my current problem

Now for the business,

A friend of mine who is currently coming home from Iraq, has ordered a Hypersonic Aviator FX7 with the following specs in the DXDIAG File attached. He has shipped it to me, to setup for him and test out before he gets back on the 19th. I would love to get BF2 to work for him.

This computer is brand new, current DirectX, BF Patch, and more than exceeds requirments. Now I get the usual problems with BF2 startup problems: splash, black screen, back to desktop. Now the only problems that I have had while trying to fix this problem, is that I cannot update nVidia drivers for the go 7800gtx...in which I get "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit". I am not sure how to bypass this. And, that the refresh rate is at 61hz. Which I cannot change, and have seen in the BF2tweak guide that it says to have it at 60hz.

Now I was wondering if anyone would know, with this go 7800, can I install the drivers from the BF2 CD, or drivers from the nvidia site that aren't specifically for the go 7800? I would hate to try this and ruin anything for him, since I have seen that nvidia has it's own drivers for this specific card. I have so far had nothing that has helped me with this problem, and I thought this would be the best place for some help.

I would be more then happy to answer any more questions anyone has.

Thanks

Re: BF2 Won't start on Laptop

Drivers for the card, right on the main download page too:

Comment

Tryed to redownload those 81.94, and those are the exact ones that come up:

"The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit"

So I am still stuck at a digital brick wall

Comment

If you don't have anything important on the drive, try putting in the restore disk and reformating the drive.

Comment

Even though this computer is brand new? It has been out of the box for about 4 hours..

Comment

"The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit"

If you get this error on a laptop it generally means that you need to download the gfx drivers direct from the laptop manafacturer and not from Nvidia. They are usually never as up-to-date as the Nvidia ones but it is probably your only option.

My brother has a laptop with a 7800 (Acer) and the Nvidia drivers never work while the Acer ones are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ptegan

If you get this error on a laptop it generally means that you need to download the gfx drivers direct from the laptop manafacturer and not from Nvidia. They are usually never as up-to-date as the Nvidia ones but it is probably your only option.

My brother has a laptop with a 7800 (Acer) and the Nvidia drivers never work while the Acer ones are fine.
              Cool, I'll go try and see if they have drivers, maybe the game will let me in then

Comment

Originally posted by Goober
                Hello all,

I guess I will first say that I am new here, I hope to be as cooperative as possible in helping you all to help me with my current problem

Now for the business,

A friend of mine who is currently coming home from Iraq, has ordered a Hypersonic Aviator FX7 with the following specs in the DXDIAG File attached. He has shipped it to me, to setup for him and test out before he gets back on the 19th. I would love to get BF2 to work for him.

This computer is brand new, current DirectX, BF Patch, and more than exceeds requirments. Now I get the usual problems with BF2 startup problems: splash, black screen, back to desktop. Now the only problems that I have had while trying to fix this problem, is that I cannot update nVidia drivers for the go 7800gtx...in which I get "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit". I am not sure how to bypass this. And, that the refresh rate is at 61hz. Which I cannot change, and have seen in the BF2tweak guide that it says to have it at 60hz.

Now I was wondering if anyone would know, with this go 7800, can I install the drivers from the BF2 CD, or drivers from the nvidia site that aren't specifically for the go 7800? I would hate to try this and ruin anything for him, since I have seen that nvidia has it's own drivers for this specific card. I have so far had nothing that has helped me with this problem, and I thought this would be the best place for some help.

I would be more then happy to answer any more questions anyone has.

Thanks
                One of the reasons the drivers cannot load is because it might not be a "reference GPU" meaning the manufacturer has specially designed this GPU to use their own driver set (possibley because instead of a true 7800 it is a hybrid GPU or worse...)

Comment

Try downloading modded/tweaked drivers they often add support for laptop versions of ati or nvidia cards.

E.g.:

I can't see a readme so not sure if this particular driver has added support for it, else just try some of the other modded nvidia drivers.

Comment

I solved the problem.

I had to go within the video.con file in the my documents/profile area and manually change the refresh rate that the game starts and plays in to 61hertz. I guess that was my only problem, since his laptop only has that refresh rate to run on . thanks to all who gave me some suggestions. If I run into anymore problems, I'll be sure to come back here for some help.

Comment

Originally posted by Goober
                      I solved the problem.

I had to go within the video.con file in the my documents/profile area and manually change the refresh rate that the game starts and plays in to 61hertz. I guess that was my only problem, since his laptop only has that refresh rate to run on . thanks to all who gave me some suggestions. If I run into anymore problems, I'll be sure to come back here for some help.
                      lol I have never heard of that.

Comment

Originally posted by sackynut
                        lol I have never heard of that.
                        Neither had I..

It was on www.tweakguides.com on tweaking BF2. Went through the pages and saw where you could change it to the res and refresh you wanted, without starting the game. Works perfect now. When my buddy gets back from Iraq, he is going to love this new laptop

Comment

Working...
                        X