Video Card Issues with Game... Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card Issues with Game... Please help

I just started playing Battlefield 2, I instantly fell in love with the all around gameplay however im having issues. I recently checked this site and noticed "Supported Video Cards" and mine was not on the list, however the game is ran online and in single player... but im having issues with extreme lag and then after less than 30 minutes of gameplay the game just shuts off to desktop. So im guessing i should purchase a new video card, and would this correct the problem. Im using an Nvidia 6200 OC (AGP) and wishing to change it to a Nvidia 7800 GS OC (AGP) would this effect the game greatly or atleast enough to ensure solid gameplay without crashing or lag issues. I have an AMD +3000 Processor (2.01ghz) i believe, and running 1GB of Ram so i doubt i would have any other issues causing this other than the video card... I HOPE!? Any comments about this would be greatly appreciated well of course advice! Thanks.
    ...LoSt

Re: Video Card Issues with Game... Please help

The upgrade to the 7800GS will fix most problems, but you may want to get another gigabyte of RAM, or at least another half a gig.

Comment

Originally posted by kaheiyeh
      The upgrade to the 7800GS will fix most problems, but you may want to get another gigabyte of RAM, or at least another half a gig.
      more memory wont make a lot of difference...... the 7800gs will make a huge difference, ram and proc' are alright !!! but before you buy, check if you can get a PCI-e motherboard ( doesnt cost that much money) and go for the 7800GT PCI-e... oh and post your powersupply... because the 7800GS/GT will take a lot more power than a 6200

Comment

You will need the video card 1st to play. Then if you want to load up ALOT faster lets say a difference of 20 seconds and FPS gain then you will get another gig or RAM in Dual channel.

Get atleast a 500wt PSU or you card will get FOOKED

Comment

Wait a mo...are you saying the 6200 isn't supported at all? That's not what it says on the game box. I wouldn't mind so much, but I'm a bit short of cash right now and got a 256mb 6200 to play the game until I could get enough money together for a major upgrade.

Comment

@lost...

Don't worry about the ram. You'll be fine to start off.
            What you should really be worried about is getting a new video card.
            7800 series surely are a bunch of nice cards. I'd also recommend one of those.

I personally use an OC'd 6800GT, and very happy with it at the moment.
            At work I use a 6200, and it's honestly not even worth a humid poop.

You'll be able to notice a HUGE difference just by switching to a new better card.

Jade Falcon,
            BF2 works with the 6200. But it doesn't work well. Even with 1 GB RAM it does not make BF2 well playable. If you're willing to play with all settings low, and resolution of 800x600 to have fps around 25-30 then you're good to go with the 6200
            Keep saving mate, and once you're there and want to spend your $ on a PC invest in a completely new rig. Upgrading an old machine with brand new components is just not going to pay out in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaNut
              Jade Falcon,
              BF2 works with the 6200. But it doesn't work well. Even with 1 GB RAM it does not make BF2 well playable. If you're willing to play with all settings low, and resolution of 800x600 to have fps around 25-30 then you're good to go with the 6200
              Keep saving mate, and once you're there and want to spend your $ on a PC invest in a completely new rig. Upgrading an old machine with brand new components is just not going to pay out in the long run.
              I'm willing to put up with the low performance in the meantime while I save up. And by upgrade I generally mean transferring HDD's and other drives over. However, I can get the game to function unpatched, but when it comes to patching that's when the problems begin, but that's explained in another thread. Let's just say that the EA tech help people are as useful as a concrete life preserver.

Comment

Well i also found info on my motherboard and noticed i have one AGP Slot and then 5 PCI slots, so i guess im all set. Ill just go out and get a 7800 series but of PCI format. Sounds good to me. Thanks for all the help... oh and one more side question, if i dont have a "registered" copy of XP Pro, could this lead to any PC problems being i cant install any updates etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by ...lost
                  Well i also found info on my motherboard and noticed i have one AGP Slot and then 5 PCI slots, so i guess im all set. Ill just go out and get a 7800 series but of PCI format. Sounds good to me. Thanks for all the help... oh and one more side question, if i dont have a "registered" copy of XP Pro, could this lead to any PC problems being i cant install any updates etc.?
                  You have PCI, the 7800 is PCI-Express, excluding the 7800gs of course.

PCI is not the same as PCI-E

Comment

You will definately need an AGP graphics card. Not PCI-E. You don't have 5 PCI-E slots, all you have is native PCI.
                    I just don't want you to go out n buy something that won't fit in your PC.

Comment

Just buy the 7800GS. It's an AGP graphics card.

Comment

6800gs works nicely too..
                        just in case you need it in the future(if you order an AGP card), hopefuly this will come by then around the world instead of just japan...

Comment

An upgrade to two gigs of ram will slightly improve performance and dramatically improve loading times of maps. The upgrade from a 6200 to 7800 gs will dramatically, and I mean dramatically improve graphics and performance. And as said, get AGP, because pci slots are not the same as pci express.

later,

G

Comment

Originally posted by Grudge
                            An upgrade to two gigs of ram will slightly improve performance and dramatically improve loading times of maps. The upgrade from a 6200 to 7800 gs will dramatically, and I mean dramatically improve graphics and performance. And as said, get AGP, because pci slots are not the same as pci express.

later,

G
                            well sayd :cry:

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys... i slowly started to notice what the new PCI deal was about... i used to wonder why the hell is everyone gettin all excited about PCI cards when i always thought AGP was better... well they are but not when it comes to this new PCI-E crap, i barely even noticed but ill have to upgrade to that later on when i want to build another machine thanks a ton, but for now as of the 20th (payday) im going to purchase the EVGA e-GeForce 7800 GS CO Superclock for my machine... i believe thats the best right now for what im going for (AGP) i mean.

This badboy...

Comment

Working...
                              X