How did you learn Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you learn Commander?

So, I am trying to pick up various skills in the game, and my next conquest is Commander. How did you learn it? Last night in a game late late at night, I jumped in the Commander slot, figuring the server wasn't full, people might tolerate a little newbness. No, my squad leaders were freakin out. "My god dude, learn to command.", "Dude, you suck ass, learn to command", "My god we need a new commander". Mind you, we were barely losing, and in fact, while I was Commander, we actually GAINED on the opposing team. I thought I was doing fine. I was calling clean arty strikes, I was dropping needed supplies, I was putting UAV's where my attacking squads were, I was giving concise orders, I was even calling correct "spotted" calls, all the time, keeping my guys updated. I was being very vocal to my squads over VoIP, telling them exactly where they needed to be, etc.

How am I suppose to learn this stuff? It's very grating when you are trying to learn, and you are doing what you are supposed to do, and the squad leaders are just being asses.

Re: How did you learn Commander?

Remember to do scans before you uav, and also when you are just sitting there, maybe watch over a squad as they take a base, and spot enemies that are hiding around, remember you can zoom in so close that u can ACTUALLY see the battle as it happens, just right click > zoom.

Comment

Originally posted by Souperfro
      Remember to do scans before you uav, and also when you are just sitting there, maybe watch over a squad as they take a base, and spot enemies that are hiding around, remember you can zoom in so close that u can ACTUALLY see the battle as it happens, just right click > zoom.
      Yes, I was doing all of this. That's why I was so frustrated and just gave up. For a first time commander I thought I was being very adept. I was in CONSTANT, and I mean CONSTANT communication with my squads. Always calling out more than just what my "spotted" calls here. "Hey squad 1, you've got a hostile sniper 30m to you're right", "Squad 2, you have three hostile infantry coming 50m to the NW"...

I guess I just don't know what more I could have been doing

Comment

Ha, I've found most newbs play on the smaller servers...so if your computer can handle it play on larger servers...aka (ranked #1 of all servers)War is Hell, along with TeamHAF, and SFR, I have those three as my top three favs(all 64 people). It seems to me the people you were playing with were just not good enough to understand what you were saying/doing, but the servers I listed could use commanders that ACTUALLy command, and not run around in tanks/airplanes, but you sound like a good commander from everything you say you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Souperfro
          Ha, I've found most newbs play on the smaller servers...so if your computer can handle it play on larger servers...aka (ranked #1 of all servers)War is Hell, along with TeamHAF, and SFR, I have those three as my top three favs(all 64 people). It seems to me the people you were playing with were just not good enough to understand what you were saying/doing, but the servers I listed could use commanders that ACTUALLy command, and not run around in tanks/airplanes, but you sound like a good commander from everything you say you did.
          I was on TeamHAF I am actually applying to join TeamHAF, it's the only server I play on. Mind you, these weren't HAF members riding my gode, it was just random idiots. I was in the HAF TS at the time and they said I was doing fine, gave me a few pointers, etc.

I doubt I am a "good commander" yet, I haven't done it enough...but I just didn't think I deserved that kind of crap slung at me when I was doing my best. We were already losing when I took over, and I brought us back (well, my team brought us back, I just pointed them in the right direction) quite a few points.

Just frustrating is all. Wanted to get some tips on how you guys learned, without ****ing a bunch of people off.

Comment

I learned by just playing commander when I could get the slot (i.e. it wasn't filled by a higher rank), but this thread helped with some tips as well:

Most of it is pretty basic (hence the name) and common knowledge, but it's good to read to get some tips as well. As for your case, sounds like your team was just saying that stuff to mess with you, because it sounds like you were doing much better than my first time out. Don't let some of the idiots out there ruin your fun. It's just a game.

Comment

Most people like to shift blame on bad situations to teh commander, or someone else. It is not possible to keep 100% accountability on the while battle, as squads will often do something you are not leading them to, if you do, than people would complain about something else. Squad A wants UAV, but so do squad B and C, so you give it to B because they have more enemy there, but A gets waxed by one lone snaiper, and it's your fault somehow.

You did what a commander should have done from your details.

Comment

Originally posted by Rez_K'awil
                I learned by just playing commander when I could get the slot (i.e. it wasn't filled by a higher rank), but this thread helped with some tips as well:

Most of it is pretty basic (hence the name) and common knowledge, but it's good to read to get some tips as well. As for your case, sounds like your team was just saying that stuff to mess with you, because it sounds like you were doing much better than my first time out. Don't let some of the idiots out there ruin your fun. It's just a game.
                Thanks for the link

I figured the "talk to squad" button was B, but when I press Y (I remapped my talk to all key), I get a little speaker icon in the corner telling me I am speaking...but not when I press B. Should I just assume I am speaking to him regardless? I probably annoyed some SL's last night by over-using Y/V a little bit :P

Comment

Working...
                X