Helms Method - Recomended Config for BF2 (and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helms Method - Recomended Config for BF2 (and

Ok, I have done the following and my performance has greatly increased and I have yet to crash at all in months ... ROCK SOLID!

I call it the Helms method, check it out:

1. Do a dual install of XP Home just for gaming
    2. disable every un-needed option (anti virus/autoupdate/etc)
    3. then run windows update manually and patch up
    4. Imediately run msconfig after install and uncheck any services/processes you dont need (careful of removing ms ones that may be important)
    5. Install gaming software (joystick/mouse/pad/teamspeak/etc)
    6. re-run msconfig and remove any unwanted processes/services
    7. Install necessary audio and video drivers
    8. run msconfig once more
    9. Install BF2 and patch
    10. boot into dual mode and play play play

Ongoing notes:
    -all steps above done on the new / parallel install (aka dual boot)
    -reboot into dual mode to play bf2 and games only
    -i did the parellel install to a seperate disk (recommend 10k rpm+)
    -reboot again into primary OS to do normal pc stuff.
    -disks needs to be basic not dynamic for dual boot (see disk manager)
    -Run antivirus in regular mode, do scans there, no Av on game OS necesssary if you use it exclusively.
    -Try not to do any IE stuff / active x installs / pop-up (anything that could lead to attack) etc on your gaming boot up os ... (since you dont have realtime AV going)
    -always remember to manually patch your gaming OS (windows update) at the end of the second tuesday of every month (just go to windows update site, although its "manual" its still automatic once you click "express")
    -try and use the same cd key upon install as your origional os, if need be, buy another copy of XP home off ebay or something, i know this stinks, but this runs sooo smooth and nice it is well worth it.
    -view system/hidden files and modify the boot.ini file if you want to change boot order or give your second gaming boot-up a really cool name. (back it up first! and be carefull! - changing the description within the quotes is cool, but changing boot order may be a problem if you don't enter all the correct paramaters like disk partition number etc.)
    -i installed bf2 into a seperate directory than the origional bf2
    - i got that weird error again with the verion "server requires unmodified content" when running special forces, i bought it from the ea downloader. all i did was copy the files from the main install path over to the new path and it worked ... weird i know. i guess i left out step 11 ... run ea downloader again to reinstall special forces ... only if you bought it from ea downloader you have to do this. Oh, and if you do, run msconfig again and stop that ea downloader from running automatically.

Other things I have done to max performance:
    -Max out the memory, 2gb (duh). until we see truly written 64 bit games that take advantage of that extra memory space, 2 gb is fine.
    -Get a soundblaster x-fi fatal1ty with onboard memory (creative did for sound what nvidia did with video ... seperate memory / cpu to offload the main cpu and memory ... nice)
    -get a fast spinning drive for bf2 and OS (and page file if low on memory)
    -do all gaming hardware configs in the gaming software in case you need to reinstall. also easier to move around and play on foreign machines.
    -nostromo game pad like device rocks
    -laser mice really do make a difference, especially the logitech g5 so you can change dpi on the fly. accuracy is much better and movement is very smooth
    -i tried using the microsoft strategic commander as yet another device for gunning in the attack heli ... worked nice but can be done on the game pad as well in case you dont have the dough
    -joysticks i found much better but not experienced as others on this

Just a brain dump ... I hope someone finds this useful ... and here is a disclaimer
    This information is solely the config used by Helms and simply shared for the purpose of others to maximize their online gaming experience. Do not try this if you are not comfortable with this process and please test if you need to. Bad mistakes can make bad results, especially that boot.ini file.

Stats:
    Crashed bf2 once every other day for years.
    After implementing this method, have yet to crash in months at all.

Other Just for fun configs:
    I have a fiber optics 30mb down and 5 mb up connection, this rocks!!! go to verizonfios.com and see if you can get one. Try and get them to give you the 30/5 plan for 55 bucks if you commit to a year. No modem, just a straight ethernet connection into the fiber box at the side of your home ... sweet. oh, and the different technologies (voice, tv, data) all use different color spectrums ... so absolutely no interference between the signals as hardware only picks up the color being used. Example: if data uses red ... as long as the other technologies (voice, tv, etc.) don't use red, then it won't even know it's there ... nice.

regards,
    Helms
    bf2combat: [82] Helms
    xbox 360: HelmsZKX

Re: Helms Method - Recomended Config for BF2 (and

Right....

Comment

Re: Helms Method - Recomended Config for BF2 (and

Most people are too ..umm specail for this and there computors arnt well for this..so i would recoment anyone doing this..this could really screw up ur computor if u do it wrong.

Comment

Working...
      X