Modeling: The Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling: The Basics

Note, this is for TotalBF2 only atm. However, you may find a few of my copies out there. Anyways, I found an old tutorial of mine that I made a while back. This one was written for GMAX, but will easily translate to 3dsmax. As you can see, it is not the same format I use now, but it'll work. Have a good read :P

-----------------------------------------------
    First off, you need GMAX or 3dsmax.

Install it and continue:
    #1 Open up GMAX.
    Once you open it up, you notice certain things. The top menu, the 4 inside windows, and the right panel. The 4 inside windows show you 4 viewports of the 3d space; Top, Left, Front, and Perspective. Modelers use all 4 of these to get good and accurate dimensions and the perspective for viewing the model.

#2 Insert a box shape
    Look to the right panel. You will see a drop down menu called "Standard Primitives" and below that are several buttons with names of shapes on them. Click the square button. Its now hilighted. Now move your cursor into the perspective inner window and click and drag to create the box shape.

#3 Viewing Commands
    Now you have a box. You see it in all 4 viewport windows. Each of these windows has viewing commands. The first and most basic is the mouse. If you have a middle button in your mouse, you simple click and hold that in any of the 4 windows and you can pan the screen. Then you can scroll a mouse wheel if you have one to zoom in and out. The other viewing options are in the bottom right. You can click one of those and use them on the viewport windows. Mainly use these on the perspective window.
    Go ahead and try them around a bit.

#4 Manipulating Objects
    Once you have your view commands done, you should learn how to move, rotate, scale, and do various other things with your box. Look on the top for a set of buttons; A + sign which means move, a rotation, and a scale:
    The + sign button (Means move) moves the object, the rotation rotates it, and the scale scales it. Go ahead and click these and then click and drag your box and initiate these commands on your box. Test and practice makes the best.

#5 Exploring more shapes
    You know where the square button is now. Go ahead and drag in all of the other shapes. Move them, rotate them, do whatever with them. Models are made up of many of these shapes in combinations so its just a must know to play with these. Note that the teacup is not one of these shapes hehe.

#6 Starting over with more advanced features
    Use your mouse, and select all the shapes in the perspective window. Delete them. Now redraw a box (the only thing you should have is a box). Now you will take a look at the parameters. To do this click your box. Then look at the top panel for a little blue ribbon tab:
    Notice Length, Width, And Height, along with the Length Segs, Height Segs, and Width Segs. For now only touch the Length, Width, and Height and set them all to 64 to create a perfect box, Do not touch the segs. This sets all the parameters for this object. The same thing can be done for other shapes.

#7 Vertex and Mesh Editing
    So you wonder about what those segs are. For now, leave them all at 1. Click your box in the perspective window again. Now on the most top text menu, look for and click Modifiers->Mesh Editing->Edit Mesh. This automatically puts a drop-in menu to your right panel. Click the + sign to expand it and then click vertex:
    Now look back in your 4 viewport windows. You now see tiny blue little dots on the corners of the square. These dots are called vertexes. Modelers manipulate these dots to add even more detail to their models. Go ahead and select a dot and move it. It distorts your box, haha! Go ahead and experiment with this a bit more. Now remember that thing with the seg's? Well you now notice in your right that below the Edit Mesh expand menu is "Box". Click that and your back to your parameters. Go ahead and increase the segs to 2 each. Oops! Now your model is really distorted. If you want to get it back to normal right click Edit Mesh and delete it then reapply it by Modifiers->Mesh Editing->Edit Mesh. Now its all back to normal. You now notice that there are double the amount of vertexes on your box. You can keep on increasing these by increasing the segs. Experiment with this a bit more until you feel confortable going on with the next step.

#8 Testing your abilities
    Well you know all the basics by now. Now to perform a test on your skills. Show them to me! Make me a tank turret with all your skills you acquired. Doesnt have to look good, just make it look decent enough to show off. Remember it took most people weeks and even months to learn modeling. The only good modelers are the ones who show their work.

Okay so that does it for the modeling tutorial, and you now know your basics. Any questions or your work can be shown in this topic. Remember to continue your 3d learning by studying more tutorials and practicing!
    -----------------------------------------------

Yep, rather a bit confusing than my others. Just keep working at it and enjoy,
    tibmaker

Re: Modeling: The Basics

I dont think i'm going to be a moddeler :hmm:

Comment

Heh, this is kind of vague, but I'm gonna give modelling a shot anyway. Will defiantly help me make statics for my maps.

Comment

Originally posted by darth_master
        I dont think i'm going to be a moddeler :hmm:
        GMAX is the wrong tool to think modeling is over the top for you. GMAX sux there are alot simplier interfaced programs out there. I preffer lightwave cause modeller and scene animation lay out are too diffrent programs alot less clogy. But then again anything decent as far as I've seen is expensive.

Comment

3dcafe is a good source of free tutorials too.

Comment

Originally posted by hemimotorz
            GMAX is the wrong tool to think modeling is over the top for you. GMAX sux there are alot simplier interfaced programs out there. I preffer lightwave cause modeller and scene animation lay out are too diffrent programs alot less clogy. But then again anything decent as far as I've seen is expensive.
            try this

FREE PERSONAL MAYA

dont know about maya but its not supposed to be bad... I use solidworks here at work all day every day..

if anyone uses that i would be happy to help with modelling questions.

never done a model for BF though.. i could make one no trouble at all but get it into the game ?? wouldnt even know where to start.

Comment

Modeling is a difficult art to master in the beginning, but as you gain more experince it gets more fun, goes faster and becomes easier.
              There's a Gmax forum where you can ask about any question about Gmax and 3ds Max.

Making a low-poly weapon tut:

That should get you started pretty fast

Comment

heres my 1st attempt of modeling its and M4A1

Comment

That's great! Doesn't matter where you learn modeling, it's just about introducing people to a whole new world :P Now I can assure you, this tutorial I wrote was really basic, but if you find another way, go ahead and post it up on here!

Comment

Heres my first model...rate it please (for a first)

Comment

That's very good for a first, definately better than my first

Comment

Can I use 3DS Max 3 for modeling objects for BF2? 3DS Max 7?

Comment

Hey I made this Uzi as my first model :

Anyway I have a few questoins cause I know I did a bunch of things wrong. First off... what do I need to get just a basic model into the game (or any game for that matter). I really have no clue as to how to texture, animate, and do whatever else i need to do.

Also, for things like those bump-lines (for lack of a better term) on the sides, I just make other shapes (like cylinders in this case) and have them partially inside the main body of the gun. Is there a better way to maybe mkae "bumps" on objects? Also, I'm having trouble making indents and the like in objects. I can use boolean to cut holes in objects (like the on the butt), but when i try to just make indents (anything that doesn't completely cut through the object), it doesn't really work. How can i do this?

I really feel like I have too many questions to ask. I have read a bunch of tutorials, but they all only cover small subjects or are very vague. Is there anywhere I can go for some COMPLETE info on 3ds max7? I'm thinking of gettting a book for it.. would that help? Thanks for any imput!

Comment

Well I didn't get any response from my previous post, but thats ok cause I completetly re-did my Uzi, starting over from scratch. I figured a bunch of things out and feel like I'm rapidly improving at using 3ds Max7.. althoguh I know I still have loads moe to learn. Anyway, this is the new Uzi:

I feel like I'm pretty much done with the modeling part of the gun and now need to work on texturing it and putting it in the gme. I've read a bunch on this and haven't accomplished much. I can sorta texture the gun, although I'm not totally sure how to texture it well. Also, when i try to texture the weapon, if i texture too many parts, 3ds Max just crashes. So far, I haven't been able to texture more than half the gun. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comment

looks nice. How long did it take you to make it ?

Comment

Working...
                              X