Pilots license revoked!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilots license revoked!!!

Alright let me say that I'm horrible in a jet. If that enemy jet on my tail only knew.. He wouldn't be trying to shoot me down. I'm probably killing my team more than he is.

Before you flame me... I'm always ground pounding. It has only been recently that I've tried to fly a jet when no one else is wanting to. Just trying to see if I can get better. I'm mortified at the amount of friendly fire I'm inflicting and trying to figure out how to stop this.

So my question. What indicators are there to go by as to whether I'm bombing a friendly or enemy? It seems that all armor, friend or foe, lights up with a green box. Is this so? Is the only way I can tell friendlies by the blue dots on the mini map? If so I might have to hang this up, as the minimap is kinda hard for my eyes to catch when doing a bombing run in a high speed jet.

Any tips Top Gunners?

Re: Pilots license revoked!!!

You get green boxes in 2 situations:

-a vehicle or emplacement is manned by an enemy soldier
    -a vehicle or emplacement is empty and was recently vacated by a friendly (this is a bug)

I try to never bomb a flag that has blue indicators on the mini-map. The co-pilot on a bomber can handle this situation.

Comment

Think about it this way -

When a friendly hops out of a vehicle - the engine is still hot, and your indicators pick up on that and show it as a target. The only way to avoid this is to hit moving targets - or just make sure you glance at your radar to make sure there are no blue or green dots there before you drop your payload.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerStein
        Think about it this way -

When a friendly hops out of a vehicle - the engine is still hot, and your indicators pick up on that and show it as a target. The only way to avoid this is to hit moving targets - or just make sure you glance at your radar to make sure there are no blue or green dots there before you drop your payload.
        So, am I to conclude that the only indicator of friend or foe is the mini map? (or you get so close you can see their tag)

I've seen friendly armor light up green box too. is this suppose to be?

Comment

maybe a graphical problem

Comment

if its moving and has a green box , its enemy. If its green and is stationary like ILGA/Stinger/AT , its enemy. If it isnt moving and green , chances are it is enemy or nobody in it and friendly left it shortly before.

Dont bomb maps with friendlys around , no matter if they attack the flag or defend it. If you see a flag of your team go white , and no bluespots around , bomb the flag. If you see a blue point close to it , circle and watch if the blue spot stays or not , if it disappears , bomb the flag. Otherwise leave it toi the ground forces.

hink like the enemy , where would you search ? Between their and your flags, so patrol the area between friendly and enemy flags , anything coming from a red flag to a blue flag is in 99% cases enemys attacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
              I try to never bomb a flag that has blue indicators on the mini-map. The co-pilot on a bomber can handle this situation.
              And a good copilot can be surgical with that mofo.

Comment

i thought if you were looking, and the green boxes show up, friendly have a green x in the box and the enemy has a plain green box around it. At least those are the 2 different boxes i can get when bombing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigrsmith
                  i thought if you were looking, and the green boxes show up, friendly have a green x in the box and the enemy has a plain green box around it. At least those are the 2 different boxes i can get when bombing.
                  Ahhh.... I'll have to look for this.

Thank you everyone for your respectful and insightful advice. Much appreciated. My team mates will thank you.

Comment

Just to recap so you are clear, enemy vehicles will show as a clear green box, clear red triangle, or clear red circle; depending on which countries jet you are in. Friendlies will have the same symbols but will have an "X" through them.

***IMPORTANT EXCEPTION***

When a friendly exits their vehicle, the vehicle will show up marked as an enemy for a couple of seconds, if you come in and bomb you will very likely get a TK because the friendly is probably still close by.

To be safe you really need to just get used to taking a quick glance at the minimap. At first this might mean you will need to abort your first run and turn around and come back, but after a while you get good at it and can do it very quickly.

Another tip for avoiding TK's: Be very, very careful when firing AA missles. Firing AA missles if there are friendly planes or choppers in the background is a very bad idea. A missle will miss the enemy jet 30 feet in front of you and then make a 90 degree turn to go blow up the friendly chopper 300 yards away. For example, if you get behind an enemy plane that is chasing one of your planes, don't fire your missles, 9 times out of 10 you will hit your team mate. Instead just switch to missles so the enemy jet hears you lock on, this will usually get them to break off the plane they are chasing and then when you are free and clear you can light them up. If they stay with the plane they are chasing use your guns to scare them off, but don't use your missles when your team mate is in sight.

Comment

dont bomb people or near a blue marker on the mini map

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
                        You get green boxes in 2 situations:

-a vehicle or emplacement is empty and was recently vacated by a friendly (this is a bug)

Regarding the bug comment

If you open your mods\bf2 folder. Then look in the Objects_server.zip . Inside the zip file you navigate to Weapons\common\TargetObjects. These are all the objects that can be added to vehicles. Laser Target is added to ground objects to make them show up on the hud of the bombers (and used by the guided ground munitions) I can't remember what Unique target is used for. Heat object is used for aircraft, helos, and that damn burining tower on Oman.

This was taken from the LaserTarget_Vehicle.con:

ObjectTemplate.create TargetObject LaserTarget_vehicle
                        ObjectTemplate.timeToLive 0
                        ObjectTemplate.saveInSeparateFile 1
                        ObjectTemplate.targetType TTLaser
                        ObjectTemplate.disableWhenEmptyVehicle 1
                        ObjectTemplate.disableWhenEmptyVehicleDelay 5
                        ObjectTemplate.disableWhenWreck 1

The code that is in bold leads me to believe that, "a vehicle or emplacement is empty and was recently vacated by a friendly" is a feature. Not a bug.

If this is common knowledge or if the feature is bugged then I apologize.

Comment

The unique target is used for things that only the parent weapon should control. That way your TV guided missile doesn't veer off to track anothe target that someone else placed for their missile.

It's not so much a bug, or a feature, in my eyes. It's just thoughtless adding of things to the game. You people can keep saying "well just don't bomb CPs with friendlies" all you want, but the jets are so fast, and the minimaps have a mind of their own. Often the minimap doesn't show anything until last second, and it could verywell be it's either bomb, or lose the control point. It also creates confusion where it's not needed, as both a friendly and enemy vehicle will receive this box for 5 seconds after they bail out.

It's an easy fix: Just change that delay to 0. Don't think EA will understand that though and would probably remove all the target objects before they figured this out.

Comment

Ppl that hate "jet whores" say there is no "skill" in bombing, so it should not be a prob

lol

peace

Comment

Originally posted by BeerStein
                              The only way to avoid this is to hit moving targets - or just make sure you glance at your radar to make sure there are no blue or green dots there before you drop your payload.
                              exactly

Comment

Working...
                              X