Bugs R Us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs R Us?

I've read several threads where people have been slagging BF2 for being seriously bug ridden.

Well apart from the ones that are being sorted in patch 1.2 and things like the invisible wall on Dragon and the pourus walls that only let cheats in. Is this game really that buggy?

This game is under the spotlight more than most others cause it has such a huge online following, so obviously more some bugs may be identified where on other games they would be ignored.

And compared with many Massive Multiplayer games the bug list and balance issues are tiny. Anyone played AO, Everquest or SWG?

I know that some of the present bugs are annoying but the way some people carry on you would think that their life depended on it and that EA or DICE are #1 criminal organisations.

Re: Bugs R Us?

all in all, it really isnt that bad, yes the name glitch is annoying, yes the random crashes happen, but to be honest, if you have a clean comp (no spyware, etc & literally clean, get the dust out) & make sure youre not running a ton of things in the b/g, youll prolly be fine

the majority of ppl have managed to get it running pretty well by now & if you have even a basic grasp about what slows down your comp, you should be able to get it running top notch

it aint perfect, but it did just get pc gamers game of the year (and multiplayer game of the year) and when it finally works, its well worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Chickenhawk
      I've read several threads where people have been slagging BF2 for being seriously bug ridden.

Well apart from the ones that are being sorted in patch 1.2 and things like the invisible wall on Dragon and the pourus walls that only let cheats in. Is this game really that buggy?

This game is under the spotlight more than most others cause it has such a huge online following, so obviously more some bugs may be identified where on other games they would be ignored.

And compared with many Massive Multiplayer games the bug list and balance issues are tiny. Anyone played AO, Everquest or SWG?

I know that some of the present bugs are annoying but the way some people carry on you would think that their life depended on it and that EA or DICE are #1 criminal organisations.
      The game isnt that bad... however, I enjoy complaining about the bugs and making fun of EA/DICE...
      And I am for, people putting pressure on them so they can think a little more before releasing new games when they are not ready.

Compare the game to halflife2, farcry, doom3, FEAR...
      the game has MASSIVE bugs...

I enjoy the game either way... my pc still needs lots of tweaking in order to gain more fps... but I manage to play it just fine.

The game is fantastic, however it is very obvious that it was Rushed like a kid doing his 2 hour homework in 15 minutes...

Examples:
      -Lack of backwards compatibility for older pixel shader technology making a lot of Geforce4 TI users unhappy when they paied lots and lots of money for top of the lign cards that SHOULD run the game...
      (having the nvidia logo at start makes it funny, and taking out the game for XBox witch uses a geforce3TI is also funny)
      -Game crashes back to desktop
      -files in battlefield2 directory that are not in use such as sounds and voice commands (not 100% sure on that one... just herd of it)
      -blue and red name tag glitch
      -Friendly seaking aa missles needing so much work
      -server brouser is sadly slow

Those are just some issues that show how bf2 has been rushed due to a crushing lack of time.

I respect EA because bf2... is a fantastic game... but I just think they should push back release dates even if its 1 year and provide people with a finished product...

Comment

I used to be one of those "bug complainers" well until I purchased bf2SF. Whatever bugs bf2 seemed to have they are nonexistent once you play the expansion pack. The expansion pack seems to expand every bug , or performance issue that bf2 had. After seeing how buggy BF2 potentially could have been seeing SF and all, I no longer notice anything wrong with bf2. and after the week of playing SF i sadly havent been back.

Comment

I would agree there is not that many but that make the game unplayable but thats not the main thing I think Dice did wrong. The entire engine was very poorly writen, as mentioned above compair BF2 to HL2. BF2 requires nearly twice the resources yet it only produces half the quality and stability that HL2 does.

Comment

How can you possibly compare BF2 to HL2 or Doom 3? Neither have huge maps like BF2 and neither have vehicles that are anywhere near as good (although with a small amount of tweaking I think HL2's buggy would be much better).

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt Doom 3's engine could support 64 players on a map the size of Karkand and still work faultlessly.

I can't comment on Farcry as I never liked that game and didn't play it online.

Comment

none of you have played halflife2 if you think that hl2 is less buggy than bf2 lol
              all in all i am very satisfied with the game - i have never seen but a handful of these issues in game
              and its laughable to compare the poorly optimised FEAR with the bf2

Comment

The dragon valley glitch is such a joke because it is rarely ever useful

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r
                  none of you have played halflife2 if you think that hl2 is less buggy than bf2 lol
                  Well I own both games and I disagree entirely. Aside from a couple of early problems with Steam (not even HL2) I haven't had an real problems. BF2 on the otherhand gives me intermitent sound problems, crashes frequently (about 1 inevery 15 times I play) not to mention the red tag bug that is responsible at least 1/3 of my TKs. Then there is SF which I can't even play it runs so badly and crashes so frequently.

Now don't get me wrong I love BF2 and it's worth every bit of the grief it gives me (can't say the same about SF unfortunately) but HL2 was/is much more stable for me.

Comment

Yes the game is very buggy and somewhat unpolished more so than other games. Let me give you a few examples.

The MI-28 wire guided is seriously bugged.
                    In fact all wire guided are somwhat bugged. They won't respond to some clicks. They refuse to fire or fire only air so you have to reload again. They don't hit consistently due to bad hitboxes. If you hit a player dead on in a blackhawk only that player dies not the whole blackhawk. If you type something when dead sometimes the spawn selection menu will come up and destroy what you've typed so far. The same happens if the menu is brought up manually. Some time you don't spawn even if you've selected a spawn point and clicked enter. You can't paste IP#. The in game browser plainly sucks. Vehicles dissapear when you aim at them in a tank. The lod is messed up so you can se a jeep driver driving on thin air at a certain distance. The bombers laser guided arbitrarily misses. It fires air from time to time. The netcode is messed up so you can hit something on your screen and not having it do any actual damage. I'm thinking of rockets versus helos and tanks. AA is more or less broken. The red nametag bug. Installer will not install on windows user names with special characters (åäö). The installer will not install if you have less than 3GB on C: drive regardless of where the game is placed (Can be fixed via registry pm me if interested.). Colission meshes are totaly fubar. You can hit people without doing any damage. You have rockets going straight through tanks jeeps and helos.

That's just a few bugs and polish issues I remember by heart. Some of the bugs I mentioned will be fixed in the upcoming patch.

Comment

And yet there are thousands of us out there who have had very few of these problems. I've had both BF2 and SF since the day they were released and have had a total of 5 crashes to desktop - my Outlook at work crashes more than that - and I've experienced the red nametag bug exactly 3 time

Comment

Originally posted by Rafterman
                        And yet there are thousands of us out there who have had very few of these problems. I've had both BF2 and SF since the day they were released and have had a total of 5 crashes to desktop - my Outlook at work crashes more than that - and I've experienced the red nametag bug exactly 3 time
                        QFMFT
                        i feel sympathy for those who have had problems with the game - its a similar situation to the problems i had with halflife 2
                        but for everyone who has had major problems with battlefield 2 i wager there are many more who have not

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r
                          I own and have played HL2 extensively, both campaign and online, and it is no where as buggy as BF2. And BF2 isn't that buggy to me, for what it does. Huge maps, 64 online players, tracking over 200,000 players stats, I tihnk is does pretty ok. The only two bugs that bother me are the rednametag, and the occasional CTD.

Comment

Kattspya, sorry to hear that you have encountered all of those bugs. I have'nt seen any of those, although you did remind me of one, where the rocket goes right through the jeep if head on.

I hav'nt seen the TOW problems you mention, mind you I'm crap with TOW so probably wouldn't notice.

Comment

Kattspya, sorry to hear that you have encountered all of those bugs. I have'nt seen any of those, although you did remind me of one, where the rocket goes right through the jeep if head on.

I hav'nt seen the TOW problems you mention, mind you I'm crap with TOW so probably wouldn't notice.
                              I'm not taling about TOW missiles. I'm talking about the Hellfires and Hellfire-like rockets fired from helicopter gunships. Both TOW's and Hellfire-like rockets are wire guided and I don't know the correct names for the Mi28 and Z10 hellfire-like wire guided rockets so I used the term wire guided instead. The TOW sometimes fire air as well but that happens very rarely.

Also I didn't mean to imply that all of the bugs I mentioned happen on a regular basis. Just that I've seen them from time to time.

Also you can't really compare compatability bugs with game code bugs. HL2 stuttered on a lot of systems initially but most of that has been remedied. There has never been as many game bugs in HL2 gameply as there has been and are in BF2. In CS:S there are no irritating bugs that I'm aware of and in DoD:s most of the annoyance come from some balance issues. There used to be a sticky bug problem for a few versions but that could easily be avoided and when it happened all you had to do was prone.

Comment

Working...
                              X