Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Motherboard question for the Tech Priests

Originally posted by rombaft
    I mount pc's togheter on regular base, I also have replacd mobo's with difirent models .

Not reinstalling XP (or whatever OS you are using) is a risc, sometimes it works (when having same chipset) , but most of the time you encounter serious problems , even with the same chipset .

So I do recomend reinstalling the OS , it's more work, but better have a good start with the new PC.

For all the boso's here saying you need to remove drivers, and use driverclaener , well FYI , drivers for chipsets can't be removed, only upgraded or downgraded by the use of restore points or image .
    Hmmm....so, I gather that even if I re-use my current CPU, that's not the same thing as the 'chipset' rombaft is talking about. So even if I do that, I won't be using the same chipset - so when I reboot after the swap I'll more than likely encounter serious problems.

Seems the best plan is to build a new comp from scratch (including new OS). It seems to be the course of action that will produce the least headaches.

Thanks again for everyones help. If anyone has anything further to add, please do.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue845
      Hmmm....so, I gather that even if I re-use my current CPU, that's not the same thing as the 'chipset' rombaft is talking about. So even if I do that, I won't be using the same chipset - so when I reboot after the swap I'll more than likely encounter serious problems.

Seems the best plan is to build a new comp from scratch (including new OS). It seems to be the course of action that will produce the least headaches.

Thanks again for everyones help. If anyone has anything further to add, please do.

the chipset isn't the CPU, chipset is like the Nforce 4 or something , the chipset is the most important thing on your pc , it gives you stability etc....

Comment

Ahh...thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

the chipset isn't the CPU, chipset is like the Nforce 4 or something , the chipset is the most important thing on your pc , it gives you stability etc....

For someone who "Builds PCs all the time"

You sure dont know how to describe anything very well.

Comment

Before this turns into a flame fest - i didn't know that the CPU was different from the chipset - so don't take any offence and thanks for pointing out the difference.

Comment

To put it in laymans terms, it's the boss of all the hardware, telling each what to do.

Comment

OK, but the long and the short of it is, if I upgrade my mobo, it's gonna have a different chipset, and thats gonna bugger everything up.

(right?)

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue845
                  OK, but the long and the short of it is, if I upgrade my mobo, it's gonna have a different chipset, and thats gonna bugger everything up.

(right?)
                  I'm not gonna lie, there is a chance you will kick and burn and spit on your computer during this process. But if you take your time and do it right, 90% of the time, it works, no problems. Really it is uninstalling and reinstalling, pulling everything out of the case resetting the new motherboard, and then putting everything back in. It will take you 6 hours the first time you do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X