work around for the performance difference in bf2:sf vs bf2:vanilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work around for the performance difference in bf2:sf vs bf2:vanilla

a lot of you are going to say duh. that's fine. it occurred to me so i thought i'd share it.

i hated playing bf2:sf because i had to play it on 1280x1024 to get good frames (good === unconditionally no less than 40fps). I stopped playing for a while becuase of this. i spent much much money on my rig, and i want to play at 1600x1200. bf2 vanilla can handle this.

so, the workaround:

create two batch files, one sf, one vanilla. put the following:

sf:

@echo off
    cd d:\program files\battlefield 2
    start /high bf2.exe +modPath mods/xpack +szx 1280 +szy 1024

vanilla:

@echo off
    cd d:\program files\battlefield 2
    start /high bf2.exe +szx 1600 +szy 1200

The awesome thing about this, is that sf doesn't have to re-optimize shaders (didn't for me anyways). This was convenient. now i can play bf2 and sf without having to re-optimize everytime i switched. my enjoyment level has rised.

anyways, as i said earlier, a lot of you are going to say "duh". oh well. Thought i would share.

Re: work around for the performance difference in bf2:sf vs bf2:vanilla

I'm ovbiously a complete N00b at this kind of stuff 'cos I have no idea what you just suggested to everyone. Any chance of putting it in laymans terms?

Comment

What rhohan has done there is basically created two "batch" files which are simply files that do a command in a series of steps without having you to do it. His first batch file heads into the BF2 folder and makes the game resolution set 1280*1024. If he wants to play special forces he clicks on the other "batch" file to make his settings optimal, i.e. 1600*1200 without having the need to go into game settings everytime and changing them. This does the change of settings automatically through the batch file.

Summary: Those files basically change the video game settings without having to actually get into the game menu settings which I know can be annoying. I guess this ignores the matter of having to go through that lengthy time of Optimising shaders and whatever it does

Comment

What does the /high switch do? I don't have that in any of my BF2/SF shortcuts?

Comment

the reason you dont have to re-optimize is that each mod (sf is a mod) will have its own settings, if u wanna have diff setting for sf, just change em in the normal settings place (make sure sf is activated) & it should keep em separate... worked for me

Comment

It doesnt have to optimize if the only thing you change is the resolution anyway IIRC.

Comment

hahah not true. every time i change the resolution it re-optimizes.

and no, if i set bf2:v to 1600x1200 bf2:sf will ALSO go to that resolution. if i set bf2:sf to 1280x1024 , vanilla follows. that is the whole purpose of forcing the res.

Comment

Working...
              X