Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 unexpectedly crashes----new thing

Greetings all-

I have been playing BF2 for a couple of months now, and no complaints regarding preformance. Last night (and today), it crashes like crazy when I either try and place myself on a map, or when the server is starting to load. And when it crashes, it completely restarts the whole computer.

Here is my machine:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    Processor: AMD Sempron(TM) 2500+, MMX, 3DNow
    Memory: 1280MB RAM
    Page File: 284MB used, 1614MB available
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904
    DxDiag Version: 5.00.2134.0001

GEForce 5700LE
    C-Media PCI sound card.
    I am on DSL.

Everything has the latest drivers, etc.

After it started to crash, I un-installed BF2 and reinstalled with the updates, re-installed the latest Directx, and scanned for viruses/spyware.

Lastly, the machine runs BF1942 just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks-

Re: BF2 unexpectedly crashes----new thing

Have a look here:

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53585

and/or here:

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53688

Looks like that it is a problem with the latest (automatic) PunkBuster update and Win2k.

Maybe it's your problem too. :hmm:

Comment

Holy ****, me too.

THIS IS SO ****ING ANNOYING.

Comment

You need to upgrade to 2gig of ram, you need at least 2gig of ram to play this game, bf2+sf is a memory, system resources hungry game!

Comment

Originally posted by markus1012
          You need to upgrade to 2gig of ram, you need at least 2gig of ram to play this game, bf2+sf is a memory, system resources hungry game!
          Man, I hate those posts to every issue with upgrade memory/cpu...when the OP's issue is obviously something else.

Comment

Originally posted by markus1012
            With all respect to Marcus, I can play this game absolutely perfect with no performance issues with 1 gig of RAM. Maybe his problem is related to the pb udate problem or video?

BudJar

Comment

I am reminded of a situation in a Simpson's episode in which Prof. Frink is discussing horses used in a specific episode of Xena with Linda Lovelace, in which she says "when anything like that happens, a wizard did it." Given my experience with seriously evil BF2 crashses, I am inclined to say such is true in this case. I had that problem, and for reasons unexplained, it just went away after about a week. At the moment however, I think the bloody game may have corrupted my associate's boot-loader so... Take comfort that maybe a kind wizard will cast a spell and bring peace back to the land of BF2

Comment

Ok here is my problem from another post.

Originally Posted by fighterpilotx
                alright, i just got a new power supply. from 350-500watts. I got tht in and i reinstalled bf2 and then i started it up. I was able to join 2 servers. I joined the first then dissconected.Then i join the next and i got in. But when it went to load the next map my computer reset. I sent an error report when i got the "your system has just recovered from a serious error" message. But instead of getting alot of crap i got this:

Error caused by a device driver
                Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.
                Error report summary
                Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
                Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
                What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
                Cause : Unknown device driver
                Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
                Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

So i dont really want to reinstall bf2 just so i can play like 2 times everytime i feel like playing :? so does anyone have any ideas?

I have been having the same exact problem also.
                My specs are
                500W PSU
                6800GT 256mb
                2gigs ram
                3.0P4 HT
                160GB IDE HD

Let me first start off and say this problem has been happening to me whenever I play Special Forces after a while and not regular BF2. My pc is 1 year old and I have been playing BF2 since it came out fine. It was when I got SF that I encountered problems. I had the problem installing the 1.1 patch which froze so I restarted my pc and then installed the 1.2 patch and the game played fine for a while. After about a couple of weeks, my pc kept restarting whenever I was playing SF or BF2 regular now and would do the disk check then come back on or reboot again until I finally could get on for a while before it happened again. This also happened whenever I tried to defrag my pc or play any other games besides BF2. I took it to some people I know at a pc repair place and they figured my Harddrive was dying and it is only a 1 year old harddrive.

So I took it to the person who built it for me and he said it was the hard drive also. So I replaced that one with a brand new one and when I got it, I reinstalled BF2 and SF. Had the same lock up during installing 1.1 patch, so I restarted my pc and it loaded fine the next time and then I played SF. After
                about 3 days, my game shut off suddenly when I was in a multiplayer game in SF and restarted again and then it came up with an irror message which said what the guy posted above. So I d/led newer drivers for the game and the same problem happened again and again. And now, the guy who built my pc said he went into safe mode and said I must of been shutting my pc off during the windows updates which I have never done. I also had up to date drivers as well which were the 8.94 or 5.

I also don't think reinstalling it would help because my pc might shut off again suddenly.

I am sure I can still play regular BF2 fine, but it is SF which is doing something.

I could use help bad because I want to play SF, but I don't want to risk installing it until I get an answer.

O, and also after I got my new hard drive , whenever I had my pc restart, it made a weird, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound which kind of sounded like metal bulkling or bending under a lot of weight. Anyone have this or know what this could be? This happened when I got my pc back and not when I originally played the game with my old hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BudJar(UK)
                  With all respect to Marcus, I can play this game absolutely perfect with no performance issues with 1 gig of RAM. Maybe his problem is related to the pb udate problem or video?

BudJar
                  Yea thats a possibility mate, but i was letting him know of my experience with getting 2gig of ram, it plays flawlessly now and lagg is a thing of the past, i can play on any map, on any size!

You are correct with keeping pb updated though champ!

Comment

BF2 needs XP, can't be played on win2k

Cheers

Comment

Definatly need xp to play this game, dont think you can play it with 2000!

Comment

Up until Friday, BF2 runs completely fine on 3 seperate WIN 2000 boxes I have played on

My old machine a PIV 2.4ghz with 1 gig of RAM and a 6600GT. This machine ran BF2 fine from the day it came out through till November with maybe 5 crashes to desktop, NEVER a crash to a blue screen of death. It still runs BF2 fine, I use past tense because the PIV is now a backup machine or a 2nd machine for when a friend comes over.

And my new machine an AMD 3700+ with 2 gigs RAM and a 6800GS runs it fine. Built my new machine in December and played fine with it up until Friday of last week.

Then there is my friend, a PIV 3.2ghz with 1 gig RAM and a 6600GT. He's been playing atleast 3 months without any such crashes.

Windows 2000 has been entirely stable in my experience, until what happened last Friday.

Some additional information on this bug. I experienced it last Fri/Sat when I took my new machine to a friend's house for a weekend of LAN gaming. We tried to get online and we both experienced the crashes.

However, we could play single player fine AND I was able to host a single player game to which he joined so we could play co-op together. We were able to play for over 1 1/2 hours in a co-op setting without a crash or single hiccup.

The crash to blue screen was only if we were trying to connect over the internet to other servers.

It's gotta be a punkbuster related issue, it's the only thing that makes any sense.

At some point Mid saturday after lunch the problem was resolved and we were again able to get online and play. Not a single thing had been changed on my PC in an attempt to fix it, my friend tried reinstalling drivers and a fresh install of BF2 on Friday night which worked to no avail.

My machine is running again just fine, probably due to a punkbuster update that automatically ran at some point Saturday. If people are still experiencing the problem a manual update downloaded from punkbuster's site will probably help.

Comment

Working...
                        X