Skinning: Basic Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinning: Basic Wood

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS ON ANY OTHER SITE. I HAVE GIVEN THIS TO TOTALBF2 ONLY! THANKS!

I have decided to create a tutorial for all you regular BFers having a hard time finding some quality photoshop wood :P This will teach you to create some decent looking wood for anything you might be needing to skin.

Things you need:
    Photoshop

Tutorial:
    1) Open up photoshop. Then go to file->new and use a 1024x1024 transparent background. You can have any size you want, but for this purpose, I have chosen 1024x1024.
    2) Now choose 2 brownish colours for your foreground and background. I have chose C8AD72 as my foreground and A9925F as my background.
    3) Next, go to filter->render->clouds just once.
    4) Go up to Filter->Distort->Shear. This is the point where you can make your wood look grainy. Go ahead and mess with those settings to something like this (Note you can have this shear anyway you want, but this is just what I used):

5) After that, we are going to add some minor decal. Go up to Filter->Stylize->Wind. Do blast from left and press okay. Because we want to repeat for added effect, press CTRL-F to repeat. After this, do it from the right side twice.
    6) Go up to Filter->Noise->Add Noise. Set it at 5%, Guassian, and Mono checked. Press okay.
    7) In order to get some good meshing of the noise and such in later steps to come, we will need to do a -45 degree and 1 pixel Motion Blur (Filter->Blur->Motion Blur).
    8) After this, add noise again with same settings except change it to 4%.
    9) Now for the real grains. Go to filter->blur->motion blur. Use 0 degrees, and 15 pixels wide.
    10) Then go to filter->sharpen->sharpen. You need to do this twice, so just press CTRL-F.
    11) Go to filter->noise->add noise again. Use same settings as step number 8.
    12) Now, the main bulk of the work may be done, but I want to add some minor decal. Set your foreground color to black. Create a new layer, and draw many verticle lines about (65px soft brushed) about evenly spaced. It should look simular to this:

13) After this is complete, go up to Filter->Distort->Shear. KEEP the default settings because photoshop stores the ones you last used.
    14) Then, go to Filter->Stylize->Wind. Wind From Left or Right depending on which side you feel confortable with.
    15) Change that layer to overlay with 15% opacity:

16) Now! We are almost done! Merge that overlay layer down to the regular wood one. Then go to Image->Image Size and shrink her down to 512x512. The reason you do 1/2 shrinks is to get better quality overall. It does not matter if you use a 2048x2048 or a 1024x2048. Always remember to shrink those in half. It helps a ton in getting good looking skins.
    17) Go to filter->sharpen->sharpen just once. Now, this is the finished colour project. Congrats, you made wood. Keep in mind you should play around with all the settings I used above to get even more unique wood types in Photoshop. The final wood without the extra steps should look something like this:

Extra Steps:
    1) Well, maybe you want a redish brown wood. Thus, that is what I will show you how to do. Go to image->adjustments->hue/saturation. Use -15 for hue, and -20 for saturation, and 0 for lightness. Press okay.
    2) Go up to image->adjustments->brightness/contrast. Set -30 for brightness, and +20 for contrast. Press okay.
    3) Now, that wraps up this tutorial. Again, go ahead and mess with settings to get more different results! The finished product with the added steps should look like this:

Thanks,
    tibmaker

Re: Skinning: Basic Wood

Nice tut dude and a useful one.

Comment

sweet!

Comment

Nicely done man, this might come in handy later on!

Comment

Very nice, I was a little bored and decided to follow it in PS myself, end result looked exactly like that.

Comment

Very nice. I've got a tipp too: make a new layer, make it black and put the noise filter on it. Then delete all black area, moitionblur it Horizontally and apply a Bevel and Emboss in Layer syle (blending options). Play around with the options and youll get some nice results

Comment

i have just finnished my own wood and am gunna apply to a pkm thx alot dude i would have no idea if not for this

Comment

Nice tutorial.. it can come handy.

Comment

Too fking complicated. It stopped when I had to add those fat black lines on the wood! Why the **** do I have to add them?

Comment

To give the wood some change in coulor?

Comment

Originally posted by Overcloud
                      To give the wood some change in coulor?
                      My wood was beautiful until I that phase

Comment

good tutorial! you should submit it www.pslover.com ;D

Comment

Wow TBF2 would really need a tutorial section

Comment

Originally posted by Power_Terminator View Post
                            Too fking complicated. It stopped when I had to add those fat black lines on the wood! Why the **** do I have to add them?
                            So you get depth to your wood.

Comment

looks good i am pretty good with photoshop. this wasnt too hard

Comment

Working...
                              X