Frame rate drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame rate drop

Hi all, I bought BF2 a few months back and on the old comp it ran fine. The only thing i have changed is the RAM from 512mb to 1024mb and i now have a massive drop in frame rates. before it was hovering around 30-40 now its somewhere around 15-20.my specs are

CPU: 2.4ghz Pentium 4, 478pin socket
    Vid Card: Radeon X-700, 256mb
    Ram: 1024mb, DDR400 (One chip)
    Motherboard: Foxconn 478 socket, http://www.avault.com/hardware/getre...xconnru&page=2 (closest i could find to the actual thing)

i have about 30gb free for the swap space on the hardrives as well and ive unblocked it from the firewall but i just cant figure out what is wrong with it. Before i start up i always close extra programs that are running yet it still doesnt fix it. Ive tryed everything and cant figure it out, replacment is not an option so what would you guys suggest?

Cheers
    Chickenhawk

Re: Frame rate drop

Try deleting your cache:
    ..\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache

Delete anything under that directory.

Start a new game, load a map, wait for the shaders to optimize

Close BF2

Defrag your HDD

Reboot

Try BF2 again.

Comment

cheers, ill give that a shot

Comment

Hi I've recently had a similar problem and it was the chipset drivers, the agp was switched off and updating gave me the option to knock it on. (Thanks Talus you helped me on that one). I'm running AMD ath 3.2 with x800pro and today I went and spent £30 on another 512mb (Now 1.5) to try and improve things further, this is despite lots of advice that BF only chews on less than 1Mb, the difference in speed is well worth the cash, and there is seemingly no slow down anywhere whilst playing on med/high settings AA x4, worked for me when i was getting 25 fps and now getting 50+ throughout the game, with stock cooling.

Comment

yeah talus, i want to optimize my shaders because im sure its been giving me problems, but i cant, because i cant find this folder to delete!

i cant find a cache folder there! i just see AI and all that.

Comment

You're in the wrong folder. You're in the GAME folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2)

You want to be in the My Documents folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USERNAME>\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2

aka ..\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2

Comment

Working...
            X