Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux v. Linux64 v. Windows Server (Technical Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux v. Linux64 v. Windows Server (Technical Discussion)

I've been playing in a varying amount of different server types the past few days. I have noticed some quite odd variety in the way the servers handle things, run, perform, pings, dynamics, etc. The following is what I've noticed. Anyone who has experience in these things (MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, CCIP, Net+, etc) I'd love to hear your reasonings behind these findings.

Windows Servers:

MD5 checksum is activated, and loading times seem to be very slow and erratic. Gameplay, however, is smooth and often not a victim of lag. Hitbox issues arise often, but textures and standard game physics/dynamics seem to be spot on.

Linux Servers:

MD5 checksum is off (or wasnt coded into the Linux Distro Server). Load times are FAST, even with servers with terrible ping, the maps load almost instantly. Goes even faster with Checksum off. Map rendering time is erratic and erroneous. (For example: The first screen you see in Wake island when it loads is the bridge on the south side of the map, often times in Linux servers the bridge doesnt appear for 7-10 seconds, while its instant in almost all Windows servers). Lag effects Linux severs terribly, even those with good to decent pings. Hitboxes appear to be spot-on, however. Physics are all jumbled (IE, players will die, fall down, and then stand up and fall down 2-3 times before a respawn). There seems to be many bugs with textures and static objects (much more than WinServer). Also, the blue/red tag bug appears to happen drastically LESS in Linux servers.

Linux 64-bit edition:
    Same as Linux32, however the lag issues seem to be miniscule, but the physics and dynamics still seem to be screwed up. Servers seem to have even better load times.

These are all speculation, and all things ive noticed from playing servers from each OS with similar pings. I realize that server load, system specs, bandwidth issues, among other things will cause the results to be flawed, and thats why i offer this as a general consensus based on my experiences. I also realize that the game physics/dynamics/hitboxes have little to do with the server, other than the connections and processing the server does to process client-side information. I'm not looking for flames here, I really want to see a good technical discussion from IT professionals, general gamers, Server Admins, and if we are lucky someone who works with BF2 servers running in windows AND linux.

Bring on your thoughts.

Re: Linux v. Linux64 v. Windows Server (Technical Discussion)

as long as my ping stays under 40 ^_^. I have heard that Linux servers are better for servers than windows. But I cant really tell the difference. It seems to have gotten to the point where it is more about hardware than software.

Comment

Working...
    X