No announcement yet.

does the psu affect the video card....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does the psu affect the video card....

does the psu affect the video card temperature. my specs r in the sig. umm.. i have a 6200 256mb 64bit video card. it doesnt have a fan. it is a heat sink. bought it for a reason. anyways.... my psu is 250watts and the video card wants 300. i am going to buy a 350 watt this weekend or so. but... will the psu affect the video card temperature. it is around mid 50s and low 60s when i am just using the computer. while i play.... it goes up around 70's. can any1 help me. will it drop if i upgrade my psu. dont worry, i WILL buy the 350 watts.

Re: does the psu affect the video card....

any1!??!??!?!?!

Comment

I may not be right on this, but from what I know, More power = More heat. But you can always open up the side of your tower and put a fan next to it. (so cooler air can run across the heatsink of your vid card)

Can someone else input on this?

Comment

More power = more heat sounds fine.
        Then again a newer powersupply may be more efficient and lose less heat. Or manages to get the heat more effective out of your computer box.

I would say it's hard to call and wouldn't worry about it.
        Anybody got other experiences?

FYI, I'm running a passively cooled 6600GT in a small shuttle box which only has a 80mm fan and a 40mm for the psu. If I alt-esc out of bf2 the temp is about 76, and it's stable enough to play bf2 for hours and hours.

Comment

more power does mean more heat, but your components will only request so much power & only so much will be sent, so changing the psu would only change the temps if the psu itself was more/less efficient in its cooling

the problem you have to look out for is your parts asking for more power than the psu can provide, this usually leads to major stability probs & crashes/restarts.... a good psu can solve a lot fo probs before they start

Comment

the psu is pretty important for cooling too because it powers all the fans and such and a psu with enough power will make everythin work fine

Comment

you run a 6600GT passive like that with no problem? I have a fan on the 6600 card i am using and i had to put another fan in the case pointed at the thing

Comment

Originally posted by catskill
                you run a 6600GT passive like that with no problem? I have a fan on the 6600 card i am using and i had to put another fan in the case pointed at the thing
                Yes runs fine can play for hours. It's winter here though ;-)
                My only 'problem' is if I use smart cooling to aggressively, then my 80mm fan is controlled by the cpu temp, so if that does not get warm the fan does not run at all, and that's a bit too much and the gfx overheats. The passive heatsink is close to the 80mm fan, so that helps I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by kewl e-man
                  does the psu affect the video card temperature. my specs r in the sig. umm.. i have a 6200 256mb 64bit video card. it doesnt have a fan. it is a heat sink. bought it for a reason. anyways.... my psu is 250watts and the video card wants 300. i am going to buy a 350 watt this weekend or so. but... will the psu affect the video card temperature. it is around mid 50s and low 60s when i am just using the computer. while i play.... it goes up around 70's. can any1 help me. will it drop if i upgrade my psu. dont worry, i WILL buy the 350 watts.
                  No, a bigger PSU won't affect the GFX card temp at all. 70C is also within the acceptable range for a video card core.

Comment

Working...
                  X