this is amazing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is amazing...

this is my 3rd BF2 problem in a row...I installed the latest patch and got out of my second problem, but now a couple seconds into the game things start to jerk out of control, and then the message "there is a problem with your connection" appears. I eventually have to quit. I join the lowest latency servers I can find, but what's weird is all of them always say 100+ until i click on them, only two are less than 100 at 74 or so initially. Again, I have Aluria Security Center, and Microsoft AntiSpywarre, but I exit Aluria and the Microsoft one never caused any problems before.

What is going on here?

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: this is amazing...

Drivers or internet connection.

Comment

I have Age of Empires III, and that didn't work online either. Exact same problem: Getting online was fine, but when the actual game started, there was a ten second delay, no matter what server I was playing on. I'll have to see what to do about my connection.

Comment

Download pingplotter http://www.pingplotter.com and do a few traceroutes to some BF2 servers.

It will help you see if the problem is at your end, at your ISP, or somewhere 'out there'.

You could also try disabling QoS packet scheduling.

Also, make sure you manually update punkbuster.

Comment

The problem is definitely on my end. I've been having all sorts of weird problems with my internet: some downloads, web pages, and even the iTunes Music Store stop loading halfway and don't continue. I have Aluria Security Center, and I used to have Trend Micro PC-Cillin, but it destroyed my internet and I had to make a new user account and spend 3 hours creating all my settings over again.

I'm connected to a network in my house, and I used to have some trouble getting my computer to see the rest of the network. It looks fine now, but that might be related.

I hope I can get out of this mess without wiping my computer clean and starting over.

Comment

Sounds like you need to either: 1. You need to update punkbuster or; 2. You need to configure your router. Because you are on a network, your connection will interupt when others are robbing your bandwidth. See what kind of router you have and set up your ports to stream direct to your comp.

Comment

Have you tried doing a traceroute with PingPlotter yet?

If not, you can simply use the DOS command followed by the IP: tracert

Comment

Some sort of packet shaper would be good if a number of people are on the same network using the same WAN port.
                A friend of mine had similar problems we tested the packet routes, and pings were fine. We later found out that his little bro was downloading pr0n of some websites while he was gaming. The other time he was sending emails with video attachments.

Comment

Pings have very little to do with this game... maybe in a 64 server with everyone on 56k

Comment

Pings have EVERYTHING to do with this game

Comment

I ran a test on ping plotter to a BF2 server that said it had a latency of 63.
                      I didn't show the full picture because I didn't want to give away any IP's in case mine was in there, but you can see the bottom right the graph, showing a pretty normal data flow with no red lines. On the bottom graph, the highest point on the y axis was about 32.

I found that very weird, because the problem still persisted when I went on this server. Does that mean that a program in my system could be causing it, like maybe Aluria Security Center or Nvidia Firewall? Maybe even Microsoft Anti-Spyware? I disabled the first two before I ran the game or the test...

Any more help would be appreciated.
                      Dan

Comment

Even though I doubt it's causing the problem, turn off MS Antispyware and ANYTHING that you do NOT need to run BF2.

So we've ruled out latency as the issue.

I believe it is simply a problem with the in-game browser.

Try using the All-Seeing Eye instead.

Comment

I figured something else out: the game only freezes up when my character begins to move. If I shoot without moving, it's fine, but once I start moving all hell breaks loose. Exiting Microsoft Antispyware didn't help either.

I remember back in my counterstrike days some guy posted on the forums complaining that his game froze whenever he shot. Don't know if it's a connection, but they're both caused by a certain in-game situation.

Comment

i know this may sound stupid but are you wireless, if not try changing the ethernet cable if you have a spare one

Comment

yeah, i'm not wireless.

by the way I couldn't run counterstrike either.

Comment

Working...
                              X