Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Sergeant Rank?

Hi

http://bf2s.com/player/VenomDevil/ - I swear ive done everything to get to First Sergeant Rank.

Can someone kindly please tell me what Im missing here?

Many Thanks

VenomDevil

Re: First Sergeant Rank?

at this moment I don't think you are missing something, but, did you get some badge after you where promoted to master sergeant ?? because once you are master sergeant, you will stay master sergeant untill you reach sergeant major

Comment

What Rombaft said

Comment

ah damn yes your right

at least i know now... cheers

Comment

I thought you needed all basic badges to get the "special" ranks?

The fact it says you are missing Basic Transport implies that too.

Comment

You don't need basic transport for 1stSGT, you only need it (+ basic combat badges) for CSM.

Comment

Csm>?

Comment

Army for Command Sergeant Major, I guess in the Marines it's just Sergeant Major? In the Army we have both, SM, and CSM, same as 1stSGT and MS, one's considered staff, and the other has command over troops.

Comment

same as 1stSGT and MS, one's considered staff, and the other has command over troops.
                  Not true. Squad and team leaders are the only NCOs that command troops. This is because there are no lateral officer positions at this echelon. Higher ranked NCO typically do not command. A Sergeant Major is usually the Noncommissioned Officer-in-Charge of a staff element, brigade or higher. A CSM is the senior enlisted person at Battalion and higher. This is how it works in the Army. The Marines have a similar setup; just substitute Master Gunnery Sergeant for Sergeant Major and Sergeant Major for Command Sergeant Major.

Comment

Originally posted by Wa$tedTalent
                    Not true. Squad and team leaders are the only NCOs that command troops. This is because there are no lateral officer positions at this echelon. Higher ranked NCO typically do not command. A Sergeant Major is usually the Noncommissioned Officer-in-Charge of a staff element, brigade or higher. A CSM is the senior enlisted person at Battalion and higher. This is how it works in the Army. The Marines have a similar setup; just substitute Master Gunnery Sergeant for Sergeant Major and Sergeant Major for Command Sergeant Major.
                    Sorry bud, but in combat arms, which I was an engineer for 5.5 years, a Command Sergeant Major is in charge of usually a battalion/battery, Brigade, Division, and a Sergeant Major is usually in charge of operational duty positions. A sergeant Major is the top NCO in his particular place, such as 1st Infantry Divisions CSM, or 82nd Engineers CSM, where as some places will have an S4, or S3 at Brigade level with a Sergeant Major in charge as opposed to a battlions S3, or S4 having a Master Sergeant. And as such a 1stSGT is in charge of a Company, SFC in charge of a platoon, and Staff Sergeant in charge of a squad, Sergeant as team leader.

Comment

I'm not sure that I understand where we disagree. I was trying to communicate that NCOs, except at the team or squad level, do not command. At higher echelons command is the domain of commissioned officers. SMs are usually s shop NCOICs, CSM are the senior enlisted at echelons of battalion and higher. Their roles are as advisers to the unit commander. They also act as mentors to the unit's NCOs, but they do not command.

Comment

Originally posted by Wa$tedTalent
                        I'm not sure that I understand where we disagree. I was trying to communicate that NCOs, except at the team or squad level, do not command. At higher echelons command is the domain of commissioned officers. SMs are usually s shop NCOICs, CSM are the senior enlisted at echelons of battalion and higher. There role is as advisers to the unit commander. They also act as mentors to the units NCOs, but they do not command.
                        We're saying basically the same thing, except that I guess "Command" is the misunderstood term here. No, they don't take charge and get a group of privates to sweep the motor pool, but they do make rules/descisions, and provide guidance for senior NCOs under them, so yea, we agree

We always looked at it like the officer is accountable, but the NCO is responsible.

Comment

And as such a 1stSGT is in charge of a Company, SFC in charge of a platoon, and Staff Sergeant in charge of a squad, Sergeant as team leader.

But both a 1SGT and a SFC answer to a officer, for the most part, they are not in charge. But those who have been in those positions or have served in Infantry or CE unit know the real deal.

Comment

Like I said, accountable as opposed to responsible

Comment

As a former SSG I agree. NCOs are the ones who make it happen. The term "command" has very specific meaning. Is has less to do with who gets the job done and everything to do with who is ultimately accountable. That was my original point.

Comment

Working...
                              X