All terrain is black.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All terrain is black.

I can drive around, and everything in it. But ALL of the terrain is black. The terrain shows fine in the editor!

Re: All terrain is black.

Originally posted by {HHx}b14ze
    I can drive around, and everything in it. But ALL of the terrain is black. The terrain shows fine in the editor!
    As I’ve stated before, a “Layer” is made up of both a Detail texture and a Color texture. Notice the three buttons in the Paint Mode section labeled “Detail”, “Color”, and “Both”. These buttons determine what is actually painted onto the terrain. This allows you to paint just one aspect at a time or both. What this means is you can lay down the basic overall color and detail and then go back and paint with just the color of another brush to change the texture without disturbing the Detail Texture. Don’t worry if you don’t understand all of this yet. It will make sense as you experiment.
    from the BF2 Modding tutorial #1

^ I think that might be your problem

Comment

Yea when i painted it i had both selected. It worked up until now and now textures are messed up and have black squares where textures should be. Im awfully frustrated right now..

Comment

Go into your editor folder and copy your colormaps folder and then paste it into the main directory if you don't have texture when you go into the map then copy over the detail map folder too.

Comment

Thank you glitch. IT WORKED. I have my textures back! But, now my undergrowth is all rainbow colored ( not kidding), but the overgrowth seems fine?

Comment

I had this same problem when I was making a generic map to learn the editor. And I made a huge cliff (really high) and textured everything. Load BF2 to test, and noticed maybe half way up the huge cliff face, all the textures were completely black. There was a rough horizontal line on the cliff that seperated the textured (bottom half) and the completely black (top half). I could never figure it out.

I can't remember exactly what I did to it to make it randomly show up. I think I added some over/undergrowth on the top where it was black or messed with the light source. (can't remember)

Curious to try what Glitch suggested.

Why you're in this thread glitch, what would be the best settings to have, to have terrain/textures render at long distance. I know of the view distance, but there a way to change the fog distance? I wanna be able to see as far as possible if ya follow me.
            I remember seeing something about fog in level settings I think, example: 400/4/7, but not sure how it works. (I'm at work)

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by -R|F-Glitch
              Go into your editor folder and copy your colormaps folder and then paste it into the main directory if you don't have texture when you go into the map then copy over the detail map folder too.
              Ok I am muddling through this, can you please specifically tell me which folder to get these colormaps and detailmaps from and exactly where to copy them to?

I have copied from map\Colormaps\Tx00x00.dds etc. to the \map directory, is this what you mean? Because that is what I did and it still is a completely black screen, I have control points, spawn points and dirt. I went through the tutorial, but when I get to the point of you should get in the map and look around I see objects but the terrain does not show.

Comment

thx, that did it for me.

i had to copy the battlefield 2\mods\bf2\levels\mylevel\editor\colormap|detailma p one level back over the corresponding directories in blah\mylevel\

but why is this? shouldnt the editor do this itself?

Comment

Originally posted by BadLizzard
                  Ok I am muddling through this, can you please specifically tell me which folder to get these colormaps and detailmaps from and exactly where to copy them to?

I have copied from map\Colormaps\Tx00x00.dds etc. to the \map directory, is this what you mean? Because that is what I did and it still is a completely black screen, I have control points, spawn points and dirt. I went through the tutorial, but when I get to the point of you should get in the map and look around I see objects but the terrain does not show.
                  No, go into the editor folder in "your_level" folder, copy both colormaps and detailmaps folder to "your_level" folder. This made my black terrain get normal texture like the editor shows.

Comment

Barrump Bump.

I Still have black textures. Everything but my grass.
                    I copied from my levels\editor the detail and color maps to the \levels folder.

Still no change. Help appreciated.

Comment

Do a google search for this little program called BF2_TPaint v0.32

It will help if you can't get it working.

Comment

pulled from the virtual forum grave eh

Comment

can someone just please specify which folder im copying and to where?

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2......

To:
                          C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2......

Comment

Working...
                          X