it isn't hertz/resolution, it isn't profile, it isn't driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it isn't hertz/resolution, it isn't profile, it isn't driver

What else is there that can cause the crash to desktop after black screen once I install 1.12. What did they add into this patch that would cause my system to no longer play the game. I can play retail (unpatched) version for hours. I've read all the threads on here, deleted BF2 from My Documents, downloaded latest drivers (from links here), updated MB drivers, fresh install of everything, etc. I've changed refresh rate to 60hz, changed resoltion, etc before trying to start the game.

Now I've read it could be a dual channel RAM issue. Are you kidding me! Is this a possibility? I can't disable dual-channel from Bios, I would need to manually move sticks. Don't understand why the dual channel would only effect after the patch though, so I'm hesistant.

I have:
    Athlon XP 3200
    6600GT AGP
    2 x matched 512mb DDR (dual channel)
    Abit NF-7
    NEC LCD 19" Monitor

Thanks for any help!

Re: it isn't hertz/resolution, it isn't profile, it isn't driver

Have you installed a ***** crack or similar??

Some of those replace bf2.exe and/or other files and these files won't be updated by the 1.12 patch, and this can cause BF2 to not start.

Comment

I wish, rather then having dropped $50 on this game that won't play.

No, game is full retail with no cracks, *****, nothing installed.

Comment

I doubt its ur ram, EA just needs come out with a better patch

Comment

Try messing with sound settings in BF2 from Hardware to software & vice versa, good luck.

Comment

Since I can't get into the game I cannot do it from inside the game. I can try and hack the .con files in the profile folder.

Comment

Originally posted by gaeric
              What else is there that can cause the crash to desktop after black screen once I install 1.12. What did they add into this patch that would cause my system to no longer play the game. I can play retail (unpatched) version for hours. I've read all the threads on here, deleted BF2 from My Documents, downloaded latest drivers (from links here), updated MB drivers, fresh install of everything, etc. I've changed refresh rate to 60hz, changed resoltion, etc before trying to start the game.

Now I've read it could be a dual channel RAM issue. Are you kidding me! Is this a possibility? I can't disable dual-channel from Bios, I would need to manually move sticks. Don't understand why the dual channel would only effect after the patch though, so I'm hesistant.

I have:
              Athlon XP 3200
              6600GT AGP
              2 x matched 512mb DDR (dual channel)
              Abit NF-7
              NEC LCD 19" Monitor

Thanks for any help!
              I just saw in a tech support forum that the 6600 gt (AGP/PCIe) is NOT supported. WTF is that I wonder, I'll try and dig it up and post it for you to read G. Thanks for the info, Im glad to not be alone in this problem at least....

Here it is I just found that thread....It's like half way down, read it from the beginning.:
              http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbat...92&tid=1807287

Comment

Taken from EA official forum & how crashing to desktop was solved, make sure you have no 3rd party overclocking/system monitoring software running.

Good Luck.

Quote:

The problem was solved because I had SYSTOOL installed... this program is used for cpu, gpu and memory overclocking. It installs a driver and that is what was interfering.
                Worked with every other game.. but not BF2: SF

Comment

In the readme file that is installed w/ BF2 it says the 6600GT PCIe is supported, but does not mention the AGP version. But it works fine until I install 1.12.

I do not have any OC monitoring software running, I have nothing running, not even Anti-virus.

Last night I took the 8xAGP down to 4xAGP to see if that would anything, but it does not

Also tried modifying the video.con to every possible display size and refresh rate since I heard that helped some....still nothing.

Sux...I'm now a master of the single player game since that is all I can play!

A new patch is due out soon (1.2) but I'm not holding my breath that it will fix anything.

Comment

Ok, it sounds like it could be Punkbuster related, go to the punkbuster site http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=announce.php & download the manual Punkbuster update for BF2, save this little program into your BF2 directory, go online & double click it, it will manually update your Punkbuster installation, i've seen this problem before & it may help.

Good Luck.

Comment

How could it be a punkbuster problem? Does that try and initialize during startup at the initial SPlash screen?

Also, I'm running SP1 so could that be the problem. should I upgrade to windoes XP SP2?

-Eric

Comment

6600gt's AGP run bf2 absolutely FINE regardless of patch - use one myself as do 2 of my clanmates no prob.... sounds like something else.... whats your power supply at?

Comment

I will check when I get home, but it is 430 or 450w. It was the best one available 1 yr ago when I bought it, so it isn't a regular powersupply. Also, if it were powersupply why would it only not be putting out enough power for 1.12 patch. Remember the game runs for hours just fine retail, the 1.12 patch is when my problems start.

Comment

YES, DICE AND EA ARE EVIL ZOMBIES IN CONTROL OF THE DEVIL, PATCH 1.12

Comment

conspiracy theory

Comment

Working...
                              X