Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What processes i can end! The thread disappeared i swear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What processes i can end! The thread disappeared i swear!

well recently i got extra ram, and learned that by clicking on nvidia settings from the little icon on the desktop you can find out exactly how much is actually available.

well, i have 1024 mb, and usually it says 820,000 kb free when i turned off all programs before starting BF2.

however, recently its down to about 620, 000 kb free, even with no difference in processes or programs.

about half of this is "svhost.exe" which has about 65 instances in the task manager (slight exaggeration, theres actually only maybe 10) but all of them use of LOTS of data, ie, the same that running itunes does, about 10-15 000 kb.

and together all of these stupid processes eat away at my ram. i just want to know which ones i can turn off without my computer exploding.

i have a nasty feeling that this "svchost.exe" is actually some stupid spyware thing or similar.

also, the decrease in available ram has nothing to do with reformatting windows, a virus or trojan or spyware. this is because it actually only happened when my computer lost its internet temporarily because telus was having problems.

Re: What processes i can end! The thread disappeared i swear!

First of all, make sure it's not svchost.exe because that is a windows file. If it is svhost.exe (which it probably is looking at your description) it is a part of a virus attack that uses firedaemon.

Comment

um my bad, it is svchost.exe, except there are still 7 of them and they still eat up lots of ram.

its just recently ive noticed ALL of the system tasks seem to be eating up much more ram.

Comment

OK, well since I'm too lazy too type much right now, read this thread and it should help you:

Comment

didnt really quite help, could you get me a link that hs every process that i can end?

Comment

I'll give you a rough 'run-down'.
            svchost.exe does lots of things. It is sort of like a folder with a bunch of files in it. In this instance, each file is an individual .EXE. Some of these exe's are important to the system, so turning any of them off is not a good idea. At the moment, I have 5 svchost.exe's running.

If you have tons of processes running, then I suggest you do this:
            Take each process name and plug it into Google. Click on any of the first few sites to find out what it is and what it does. If you find that a certain process is in control of some random updater thing of some obscure program that you installed 6 years ago, then it's probably safe to turn it off. Just don't get too "end process" happy, because if you turn off a system .EXE, then your computer will self destruct leaving a crater the sive of Texas (hopefully, you don't live within many miles of other people ).

Right now, I have 34 processes running. After deleting anti virus and other unimportant processes, I have 20.

Hope that helps

Comment

Ive found a program that I use that closes all the processes that are not required by windows to use its called Smartclose (google it) You can also add any program that you do not want to close onto its no close list (i.e. Xfire)

Comment

Originally posted by MrCool
                Ive found a program that I use that closes all the processes that are not required by windows to use its called Smartclose (google it) You can also add any program that you do not want to close onto its no close list (i.e. Xfire)
                I tried this, and it worked beautifully. It brought me down to 17 processes running at one time.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartclose.html
                Link to SmartClose.

Comment

Working...
                X