I've got a strange problem going on with my setup. Here are my specs:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
    AMD 64 4400+ X2 (dual-core CPU)
    4GB PC3200 DDR RAM (Geil)
    2x eVGA nVidia 7800GT's running in SLI
    74GB WD Raptor hdd
    300GB WD hdd
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
    23" Apple Cinema Display @ 1920x1200 (running at 70fps average in-game)

Okay. That said- I have been experiencing some crazy stuttering problems in-game. If I reboot my PC before playing BF2, the game runs smooth as silk at a steady 70fps. But if I do any work-related tasks in Visual Studio, Eclipse, Photoshop, whatever, and attempt to play, I get massive stuttering. I defragged the partition that the game resides on, but still am getting this problem.

Any ideas, folks?

Re: Strange Stutters In-Game

As part of my try to help all for the new year...

Call who ever made your computer.

Comment

that'd be me. doh!

Comment

probably too much info left in the cache from the other programs hogging it up .. this would be why a reboot helps .. it clears the cache

I would have assumed 4gb would be more than enough, but ya never know

Comment

:|: :|: :|: :|: :|: :|:
          THAT IS THE MOST FREAKING UNBELIEVABLE COMPUTER IN THE WORLD!!!
          (Sorry for getting off topic)
          How much did that goliath cost you?
          The 7800GT SLI is what my friend deams about. He even named his account after it lol

Anyway maybe you could run an application like memtest to see if your memory is not corrupt or anything
          http://www.memtest86.com/

Another thing you could do is "optimize" it
          http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=5787
          There are several sites which give you tips on this.
          But with your computer I have no idea how your having problems. Maybe some problem when you put it together?

Comment

total price of the system? i don't want to admit it...because my wife would most likely kill me. :P i think probably around $4000 for the PC and the display. (the display alone is $1700 new). i didn't build it all at once- rather i pieced it together and finalized the deal with the motherboard, RAM, and dual SLI video cards. now i've got a perfectly good ASUS motherboard and 6800GT sitting in the closet gathering dust. another server machine, maybe?

anyways, i ran the memory test (thanks for the link), but didn't find any corruption in my RAM.

it's not a big deal to have to reboot when i want to play, i guess. just puzzled why everyday tasks would cause stuttering like that. i can play BF2 for 4 hours solid after a reboot (hypothetically) without ever encountering stuttering, but as soon as i start copying files or whatever and attempt to play, i get stutters.

ungh.

note: for the record, i was actually hoping to get 2 7800GTX OC's when i bought the 7800GT's. unfortunately they were out of stock at Fry's.

Comment

I have the same issue, however my computer is like only 10% as fast as yours. (want to hook me up?)

Anyway i do the same as you, restartingthe computer onlt after i use photoshop, lightwave and maya, and the game runs fie. IF not its choppy as hell and thoes damn shutter issues. I thik its just the game.

Comment

You should thank me for bring attention to your tiny topic.

Comment

Actually your problem is not at all unqiue. At work, a lot of the artists complain that their high end machines don't run 3d games very well. those machines are mostly designed for running 3DSMAX , photoshop and all their other artsy software at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Soup Nazi
                    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
                    4GB PC3200 DDR RAM (Geil)
                    2x eVGA nVidia 7800GT's running in SLI
                    74GB WD Raptor hdd
                    300GB WD hdd
                    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
                    23" Apple Cinema Display @ 1920x1200 (running at 70fps average in-game)
                    I want to slap you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Question
                      You should thank me for bring attention to your tiny topic.
                      yes. thank you, sir. here's a cookie for you!

Comment

Originally posted by D|sso
                        I want to slap you.

i do, too. that could've added to a nice down payment on one of these:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Edition. yum.

Comment

What is your windows page file size set to? I know photoshop and VS both consume a great deal of the page file even if there is more than enough RAM.
                          You might want to try not using a page file and see if that helps (with 4Gigs of ram you shouldnt have a problem) or maybe INCREASING the page file will help. I suspect the stuttering you are experiencing is due to read/write to the page file. Windows Xp (32bit) maxes out at 4GB RAM and is a terrible memory manger as far as OSes go. Even if you have more than enough RAM windows continues to use the page file.

Comment

Moved to support.

Comment

Originally posted by virussnt
                              What is your windows page file size set to? I know photoshop and VS both consume a great deal of the page file even if there is more than enough RAM.
                              You might want to try not using a page file and see if that helps (with 4Gigs of ram you shouldnt have a problem) or maybe INCREASING the page file will help. I suspect the stuttering you are experiencing is due to read/write to the page file. Windows Xp (32bit) maxes out at 4GB RAM and is a terrible memory manger as far as OSes go. Even if you have more than enough RAM windows continues to use the page file.
                              aye. i had looked into this, as well. i disabled the Windows Paging File, but Windows still only recognizes 2.75GB of RAM (while my BIOS states 3.9GB at POST). the stuttering seems to be less of a problem now, but Photoshop complains about a lack of Paging File each time i start it.

thank you for the suggestions and for moving my thread to the appropriate location.

Comment

Working...
                              X