Being an Effective Squad Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being an Effective Squad Leader

Hi all. Haven't posted here in awhile, but have been playing BF2 since it came out. Lately I've become pretty good as a squad leader (I'm sure there are better out there however) so I thought I'd post some tips here, for those of you who regularly are squad leaders or perhaps would like to become better.

A couple of must have's before starting.

- Buy a microphone / headphone combination to play with. I use the free one that came with BF2. I have a sweet Klipch 400 Watt speaker system but found the game sounds interfered with me trying to communicate with my squadies.

- *Recommendation* Once you have a microphone working, play on only VOIP enabled servers. There's an a filter for this called 'Battle Comm' you can select in your browswer thus only showing you servers with VOIP enabled. You don't have to do this, but using the Microphone greatly enhances your abilities to lead / manage a squad. Even if people on your squad don't have a microphone themselves they can hear you and thus respond more quickly.

As a new round / map begins:

-When round begins, immediately create a 'custom squad.' This way you can name it something different, so it will stand out. I usually name mine 'GunFightrs.'

- Once this is done, click on 'Manage Squad' and randomly invite people to join by clicking on their names. Folks are much more likely to join your squad when a new round starts.

- Continue doing this for until you have a full squad. Usually takes me about a minute. If you don't invite people to join your squad there is a good chance you'll never have a full squad regardless of your leadership abilities. It may take you longer, just keep on selecting new players until you'll all full.

- Once full, introduce yourself to your squad via microphone let them know you're competent, don't yell, treat them as adults. (Most are anyway)

In Game Squad Leadership

- OK you're a squad *leader* peeps, so lead. Think about the best flags to attack first, or defend first depending on your team. Once you've decided this, select the flag on your minmap and create an action. This could be 'defend' or 'attack' etc. This will let your entire squad (and only your squad) know the plan. I also then communicate with them over the microphone, letting them know the plan.

Expample: Me talking to my squad via microphone. "OK guys I just highlighted the village flag on your minmaps. I'm going to flank right advancing along the beach and we will then come up parallel to it. Appreciate your help if you could follow me. I'll get us a UAV and Arty ahead of us to help us take it."

- Talk to your commander. As a squad leader you can verbally comminucate with the commander even if he or she doen't have a mic. (They can still hear you.). The default key for this is either 'c' or 'v'. Let the commander know what you're doing and identify yourself by your squad number. Commanders can't easily see the squad name in the command map.

- Ask for supplies, arty, and UAV from the commander using the ingame selectables. My key for this is 'T' but yours may be different. As squad leader you can ask for all of these either via the map or by simply pointing at where you want them, select 'T' by holding it down, then pick, 'Need UAV, Need Arty, Need Supplies." These will fall where your crossharis are pointed.

If I'm close, like needing supplies after just taken a flag, I point to the ground select 't' and ask for a supply drop. This makes it very easy for a commander to simply see this request and fulfill it. The easier you can make it for your commander to give you stuff, the more likely it will happen and the more appreicate your squad will be.

- Try to stay moving, although if you're defending this isn't always possible. Opposing commanders love putting arty on a bunched up squad. Try to avoid this.

- As the game progresses just continue this process. If you've just take a flag, highlight the next one to take, or mark on your map to defend this one for a counter attack. Continue to ask the commander for UAV, Supplies and Arty. Your goal should be to make the commander your personal assistant, by continually demanding arty, supplies and uav.

Squad Tactics

- OK you're a small team of 6 people out of a team of 30 on a large map. You cannot single handedly take on the entire enemy team, so hit them where they ain't. (MacArther coined this phrase in Korea when he flanked the N. Koreans.)

Think about it. On most maps, fighting tends to get bottlenecked and people assault head on. Why be a lemming? Always flank! On Stike at Karkland, always stay to the sides of the maps, then come in paralell to the flag (when possible.) Advance where there is little resistance, flank when there's a lot. Flank left, flank, right, never head one (unless flag is totally undefended and the uav confirms this).

- Kits. OK this is more of a personal preference, but as a squad leader I prefer playing as anti-tank. Intially it might strike you as an odd selection, but I've found most of my squad mates play either SF, or Medic or machine gunner. As an anti-tank kit I can take out most armor while freeing up my squad to flank it, and with my unlocked shotty, defend myself at close range against infantry. Try and get a blanaced squad such as one medic, one support, and a mix of everything else.

- Spawning. Remember as a squad leader your entire squad can spawn on you if they die. So stay out of tanks, or atv's or vehciles that only hold 3 people. If the vehicle is full and you're in it, nobody can spawn on you. I usually stay on foot as a matter of habbit. It's funny when I join another sqad just to see how it's run, and I see the Squad leader driving a tank, when he's got 5 other peeps on his team. Also generally speaking, try to stay alive, even if your team is getting shot up, so when they respawn it can be on you.

- Call out all threats and encourage your team to. 'Armor coming in front,' Contact left, contact right, two coming in behind you,' etc. Communication keeps people alive, again hence the importance of a microphone.

Final Thoughts

- When done right, running a squad is an amazing, rewarding thing. I take personal pride when even though we may lose the game, my squad gets 'Best Squad' at the end of the score. Or when toward the end of the map, a guy on my squad thanks me for being some organized and communicative. It's immensely rewarding.

- Most of this here is common sense, but you'd be *amazed* of how many squad leaders simply create a squad and never say a single word (either spoken or typed) to their squad mates. They just run around and kill things. I've joined other squads just to see how they're run and this is quite common. Or when I'm commander and I offer arty, uav and supplies to all squad leaders, not a single one takes me up on it.

- And lastly of course, have fun, it's just a game afterall. And if you every see a squad called 'GunFightrs' I'll be running it so feel free to join!

Thanks for listening.

Re: Being an Effective Squad Leader

Great post, should be stickied

Comment

I don't like leading squads, I'd rather spawn on someone else. Don't just randomally invite people too, wait for a few minutes to see who is actually any good or is hanging around near you and doing the same thing.

Comment

Probablem with that is you'll be basing your decision on score alone, and we all know those with the highest scores may not be the best team players which is crucial to a good squad.

Remember you can always kick non performing squad members after they've joined. Personally I feel having a completely full squad makes you more effective even if you have a few 'sub-par' players vs having only 3 good people in total. And by inviting people randomly at the beginning of a map, you'll get full quickly.

Plus if you're a good leader, communicating reguarly, you'll find people on your squads will actually being listening to you communicating back, moving with you, even if they're not incredibly skilled.

To sum it up I guess, good teamwork in a full squad, outweighs individual player skill.

Comment

Originally posted by alextaylor29
          In Game Squad Leadership

Once you've decided this, select the flag on your minmap and create an action. I also then communicate with them over the microphone, letting them know the plan.

Expample: Me talking to my squad via microphone. "OK guys I just highlighted the village flag on your minmaps. I'm going to flank right advancing along the beach and we will then come up parallel to it. Appreciate your help if you could follow me. I'll get us a UAV and Arty ahead of us to help us take it."
          Ok, Chatty Cathy.:laugh: They have to be told that you've given an order to attack? It just came over the Comm, "Attack this position!" I think you can safely assume they'd follow you. If they don't, kick them off the squad. I don't think most players would appreciate someone chatting redundant info in their ears while they try to listen for opposing forces.

Continue to ask the commander for UAV, Supplies and Arty. Your goal should be to make the commander your personal assistant, by continually demanding arty, supplies and uav.
          Personal Assistant? :laugh: I'd start ignoring you after about the 5th request. Your "job" is to use your own support and medic for supplies, take tickets, and avoid ticket loss. The Commander has a birds-eye view of the battlefield, and knows where uav and supplies are needed most. I can't say I've ever had a request for an arty strike from someone that wasn't in an area where there were more than 2 defenders.

[/quote]

Comment

Good Advice, Good Guide and a Good Comment by me.

Comment

Goof72 to your comments. I've found when I highlight a flag to attack or defend on the min-map for my squad, many people either don't see it, ignore it, or don't know what it means. That's why I follow up with a verbal, "OK guys let's go for the next flag, which I've highlighted on your min-map." It may be redundant but if you keep your verbal communications short and crisp to your squad won't get annoyed.

As for asking the commander for UAV, Supplies and Arty, you make a good point, don't over do it. Try and have a medic and support in your squad for health and ammo of course as you correctly point out.

However I'll just have to disagree with you on demanding UAV and arty support on flags your attempting to take. Most commanders are happy to oblige when you make it easy for them asking for arty and uav, but I try not to over do that as well. (I don't ask for it five times in a minute for example.) Depending on what I'm trying to do, I usually ask for a uav and arty every 3-5 minutes per flag.

Again, that's how I do it, doesn't mean it's the right way. I've jut gotten good results from this technique.

Comment

If only people could figure this out themselves. Three cheers for teamwork.

Btw, nice post

Comment

Thanks Dooshy, yeah none of what I posted in complex, just basic fundementals. Peeps just don't take the time to break it all down and figure it out on their own I guess.

Comment

It's a good thread and something a squad leader should read. My buddy and I normally play in a squad with him being the leader. I would call him an ideal squad leader and he uses suggestions you have made.

I will give a few more plus thoughts on what you posted.

1. I don't randomly invite people to a squad. If they want to join one, they know where to find them. One thing I can't stand is people who join a squad and not try to stick with the squad's objectives. Sure it's hard to keep a full squad together all of the time. But as long as the people are heading to wards the objective on the map, I am cool with that.

2. Custom names might be cool, but a real squad is one that sticks together and works together. A name such as "Teamwork" or "Voice" might help attract the right kind of player.

3. Asking for UAV, Artillery, and Supplies on the map is very effective for both you and the commander.

4. I believe a squad leader should be the last one into battle. Some times, they should only go in when a flag is neutralized. This depends on a variety of variables, but having a spawn close to the flag your going to capture can save a lot of time.

5. I think an ideal kit for a SL (with a fairly full squad) is support or medic. The support guy can help out any with any C4 (very useful for over taking an enemy's capable main base) and AT missiles. Also, with the primary weapon, they can help protect themselves if they are holding back a bit.

A medic kit can help keep yourself alive and to also revive and heal your squad members after a tough battle to take a flag. You keeping them alive will only encourage them to stick with you.

6. Give verbal praise from time to time. If a squad takes a base effectively, give them a "Good job". If some one is driving a jeep your in and manages to avoid a blast from the oncoming tank, give them a "nice driving there". This is free and goes a long way. Just don't suck up to them.

7. If you choose to defend a base, you might want to briefly explain why. I think most players don't like defending. If you give them a good reason why, then they are more than likely to follow the objective.

I actually play the "Sargent" roll in our squad and will help the SL to get things done. This can be directing the squad in his absence (away from the keyboard) or when he died during a flag capture. I will also help with transportation for bigger squads.

I actually wrote an "article" on The anatomy of squad" for a website that never happened. I wonder if people would find it interesting and helpful. It's a bit long, but might be useful to those who are new to the game.

Comment

CWV_Odege,

Excellent suggestions. I hadn't thought about the hanging back part ( I usually lead, so the squad will follow) but it's actually smarter to advance just shy of the flag you're trying to take then staying put as they advance. Good point.

As for playing medic as a squad leader the only problem I've found with that is you get exposed to enemy fire quite a bit when you're attempting to revive and thus have a higher chance of getting killed. Still a great idea.

And for defending a flag, I do verbablly tell them why, because most players want to keep on attacking. I've found when you first cap a flag on the map, you're usually counter attacked pretty quickly and if you move out right after you've taken the flag, you will lose it in short order.

Plus when you've just capped a flag and set up a determined densive position, spreading out, fields of fire AND get a UAV up between your flag and the next enemies flag (where they'll most like counter attack from) you can repell quite a few attackers that way. Once that's done you can move out. (it's always easier to defend than to attack a flag, IHMO.)

My squad has surprised many a counter attackers when the rush in figuring we've already moved out, plus having the UAV over head to highlight the enemies really puts the hurt on them.

Lastly in defending I try and verbally call out where attackers are coming in, even if we have the UAV overhead. Like on Wake 2007, when you take the South or North Village flags, then defend, I'll use the mic to say, "OK team let's defend this flag for a few minutes as they'll be counter attacking." or "Team, we have two guys coming in along the beach to our flag, the UAV is highligting them."

Anyway, complete personal preference here. I don't always defend a flag I just took, epecially if the next enemy flag is lightly defended. (Like on Strike at Karkland for example.)

This is turning into to quite the squad leader thread! Hope they can sticky it.

Comment

Originally posted by cwv_Odedge
                        I actually wrote an "article" on The anatomy of squad" for a website that never happened. I wonder if people would find it interesting and helpful. It's a bit long, but might be useful to those who are new to the game.
                        Sounds like it would be relevant to the thread, so post it.

Comment

Yes I agree, would love to see it.

Comment

Yes I agree, would love to see it.

Comment

- When done right, running a squad is an amazing, rewarding thing. I take personal pride when even though we may lose the game, my squad gets 'Best Squad' at the end of the score. Or when toward the end of the map, a guy on my squad thanks me for being some organized and communicative. It's immensely rewarding.
                              That is the best feeling in the world, and its one of the reasons that i try to be the best and most interactive SL out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X