Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashing to blue screen / freezing

Just got BF2 back up and running...
    now it is crashing to desktop during play...
    sometimes it crashes to a blue screen and freezes, other times it shuts down bf2 and crashes to desktop...

any ideas...

ATI X850 XT
    CCC 5.13 drivers....Which are the newest thing on my pc.... (maybe the issue)

Re: Crashing to blue screen / freezing

If you are on XP, when it goes to the blue screen try to get the error number, that will help out. Update drivers, and run windows update. Then try, and post if it worked or not.

Comment

i havent been getting any errors.. thats what was kinda weird...
      I will look further next time
      ty

Comment

Weird to say the least...
        I had installed 5.12 then 5.11 drivers... seeing if it was a driver issue.. no going back to the 5.13 drivers..

I think it must be video related... maybe vid card ****ting out on me...
        but it could be a ram issue maybe???

anyone have any thoughts???

Comment

My x800pro (flashed to 16 pipes) does this to me with cat 5.12. Never had it until patch 1.12. I'm betting it's some game/driver issue to do with the extra effects brought in with special forces (you get those even if you dont have SF).

I have 4 sticks of 512 DDR500 ram with an athlon64 3200 (2.0ghz) and if I run at 2.2ghz with DDR440 speeds I get lockups and reboots. If I run at a lower 2.1ghz with DDR420 I only get the occasional CTD. Before 1.12 I could run at 2.4ghz with DDR480 for hours and hours so the patch has destroyed my overclock, where memtest/prime/other games all run fine. This is where you should be looking. Try running with no overclock at all and see if it still happens. Also I found lockups were more frequent with 5.12 driver - earlier drivers were less troublesome for me. I find high overclocks on my x800 increase problems where other games will run fine for hours and hours and hours (including FEAR etc).

Just compare how many other people are getting CTD/lockup issues - they broke the game with this latest patch basically. And it seems more common with ATI cards (usually X8xx series) than with any other card. Lol I wonder if they built in some code to detect if you are overclocking, and if so it will crash the game and force you to upgrade

Comment

your computer might be be overheating

Comment

I have been wondering about the 4 sticks of ram. They have heatspreaders and there is little space between them for air to circulate. GPU/GPU environment, CPU and mainboard are all running cool according to speedfan/everest/atitraytools, the only thing that doesn't measure temp is my PSU and my ram. I guess it could be the ram. The nature of the problems certainly suggests ram.

Comment

My buddy has the same problem with his PC. He doesn't have a ATI card though, he has a 6600gt and it gives weird freezes and BSOD with no error message. Sometimes it kicks him to windows, sometimes it's a hard freeze and he has to turn the PC off by turing off the power supply. IDK, he just plays though it. He loves the game .

Comment

Originally posted by evil.rusk
                  I have been wondering about the 4 sticks of ram. They have heatspreaders and there is little space between them for air to circulate. GPU/GPU environment, CPU and mainboard are all running cool according to speedfan/everest/atitraytools, the only thing that doesn't measure temp is my PSU and my ram. I guess it could be the ram. The nature of the problems certainly suggests ram.
                  that has crossed my mind before...
                  I am going to back of the OC and see if that helps.. I have sufficient upgraded cooling throughout the case though...
                  Baby steps, baby steps... :laugh:

My buddy has the same problem with his PC. He doesn't have a ATI card though, he has a 6600gt and it gives weird freezes and BSOD with no error message. Sometimes it kicks him to windows, sometimes it's a hard freeze and he has to turn the PC off by turing off the power supply. IDK, he just plays though it. He loves the game .
                  Yep...
                  Sometimes it's a hard freeze to the blue screen and most times it just closes BF2... and I'm playing against the Desoktop..

Comment

Working...
                  X