Massive RAM realization...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive RAM realization...

Greetings to all ! As a newer player and instant addict of BF2, I naturally wanted to increase my game performance as much as possible. I did'nt come here to gloat about my system, but it is important to mention since I have been reading so many different opinions as to the problem with initial server launching and map load times. I have a pentium dual core processor with an ATI PCIe X700,serial ATA HDD,and a gig of PC2-4200 DDR2 memory... Now, one would think that would be enough. I was having trouble with freeze up and choppy play, especially when there was artillary exploding near by. I tried partitioning with just the operating system and game, upgrading my internet to 7mbps, eliminating my router, NOTHING! so just for he heck of it I added another gigabyte of memory, Fixed!!!!

WOW!!! I cant believe that this game could possibly need that much RAM! Even the special forces expansion runs flawless now! I'm very happy that the game is fixed, but could someone please explain how it could need SO MUCH?

Thanks!

Re: Massive RAM realization...

I only have 1 gig and my game runs smooth. I play on low graphics though, but thats cool with me because it actually helps to have no shadows in the game to see people better.

Comment

Someone REALLY needs to stick a post on this subject. Yes... yes yes yes yes. 2GB really helps.

Comment

Only if runing high settings, and i saw a test about this, what it does is keeps teh FPS more consistant, instead on the card going from 20 to 50 up down, it will probably go something like 40 to 50, just and example.

Comment

also to add to help strengthen this post or w/e: when I had a gig of ram, and a 6800gs, I could run at high pretty smooth. When I bought a second 6800gs, I could basically not get any FPS gain, and lost Fps when turning lighting to high and AA to 4x. I got another 512 stick and its awesome!

Comment

if u run all high settings u need 2gb

Comment

So you're saying with just 1gig you should run on all low/med?

Anyone got any specific stuff on what to run med/high/low with a medium to low end system?

Comment

well i have one gig of ram, but i have an athlon 64 3400+ (2.41 GHz), and a radeon X800 Pro... so i think the video card and processor have alot more to do with it. and i run everything on HIGH and AA is on 6x and everything runs smooth.

Comment

My computer hasn;t been shipped yet but I just bought a gig off of newegg just today just incase.

Comment

Before I got my 2 gigs, I had 512 mb of sony ram. With the rest of the specs same, I could run at everything low pretty smoothly. With my 2 gigs, I can now do medium everything and still have it smoother than before.

Comment

really, for the people having fps issues with one gig, they are gonna need 2 gigs. But there are those people out there who can run it perfectly with one gig, such as metallicaguitrst, or my friend who had a gig of ram, and a 6600gt and could run at MAX perfectly. It all really is kinda random. But for the most part, 2 gigs at high settings should do.

Comment

I'm glad you all are able to run the game so smoothly with your varying hardware configurations. I just figured I'd post here to let some people know that it's not just the RAM or the video card that can cause your frame loss. It can also be your mobo/processor, as is the case with my setup. I currently have a 3.0 ghz P4 and a Gigabyte (piece of sh*t ...) mobo, and my game will essentially not run at playable levels. Initially I was using an ATI X700 Pro and 1 GB of RAM, which would run the game on all low/off settings at around 25 FPS while I was walking around, and around 5-10 FPS whenever ANYTHING was happening on screen ... such as a teammate running through my field of vision. Fun. So, being as though I enjoy this game, I upgraded pretty much everything - video card, sound card, RAM, you name it. I went up to a 6800 GT, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, the whole shebang ... and what did it get me? When somebody ran by my screen I now only dropped to 20 FPS. I read somewhere that 30 is the minimum to have any sort of decent smoothness to your game ... Yeah, I could see that.

So by process of elimination, I have come to the conclusion that it must be the mobo/CPU that's causing the problems here. New board should arrive early next week, and hopefully my numbers will increase accordingly, once I can actually stay at a smooth framerate whenever a bullet whizzes by, or a helo flies overhead. So ... yeah; sometimes just adding the RAM won't do you any good. Sometimes you have to shell out for a new board entirely.

Comment

can you put 2 Gigs on a laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by Luvitin@k
                            Greetings to all ! As a newer player and instant addict of BF2, I naturally wanted to increase my game performance as much as possible. I did'nt come here to gloat about my system, but it is important to mention since I have been reading so many different opinions as to the problem with initial server launching and map load times. I have a pentium dual core processor with an ATI PCIe X700,serial ATA HDD,and a gig of PC2-4200 DDR2 memory... Now, one would think that would be enough. I was having trouble with freeze up and choppy play, especially when there was artillary exploding near by. I tried partitioning with just the operating system and game, upgrading my internet to 7mbps, eliminating my router, NOTHING! so just for he heck of it I added another gigabyte of memory, Fixed!!!!

WOW!!! I cant believe that this game could possibly need that much RAM! Even the special forces expansion runs flawless now! I'm very happy that the game is fixed, but could someone please explain how it could need SO MUCH?

Thanks!

I can help you a little with an explanation of the memory issue.
                            DDR2 is fast memory granted. It however is also exceptionally laggy memory especially the 4200:
                            The typical DDR2 latency is 15 ns, which gives us 3-3-3 for DDR2-400 mode, 4-4-4 for DDR2-533 mode, and 5-5-5 for DDR2-667 mode. Memory modules with such timings are quite typical. At the same time, a number of manufacturers offer (for a higher price, of course) modules with reduced timings — for example, popular DDR2-533 with 3-3-3 and DDR2-667 with 4-4-4 (as DDR2 cannot have the key timing CAS# Latency below 3, "advanced" DDR2-400 modules are not available). You can actually find higher-performance modules, if you pay through your nose (an example is not far to seek).
                            You are experiencing higher than CAS 3 latency with your memory, so yes bumping the memory up will help, but I am sad to report that regular old DDR400 PC3200 memory will run circles around lower end DDR2,
                            My Kingston Hyper-X ddr400 modules have a CAS Latency of 2, which is great for game playing as the calls to the memory are more rapid in graphically intensive games.
                            I know I am beating a dead horse with this next part but I have to say it, INTEL is not a gaming CPU. Ok I feel better. I see a lot of guys complain about the gameplay being laggy on their "supercomputers", a large part of these complainers are Intel users. Any game who knows what's what knows that Intel dropped off over a year ago. If you want performance with room to spare, go with AMD, save yourself a lot of time, $$ and hassle.

Comment

I have an intel pentium 4 3.0 gig with 1.5 gig of ram and I have know problem with gaming. Doom3, BF2, BF2SF, COD2, BHD, JO, and JOE. I run all my settings on High. My son has an Intel also that runs with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X