• Show
Clear All

• Freezing with sound skipping on new rig

I recently invested in a new SLI rig

AMD 4000
    2 7800GTs in SLi
    2 gig RAM
    Creative Audigy 4

Been playing SF and BF2 no problems. Last two nights however It has been hard locking on me. It usually happens on a SF map toward a map change or tonight it did it on devils perch just as it was getting busy round a spawn point and we were about to win.

ALL drivers are up to date when the system shipped (and still are). Heat is not the problem. All temperatures are within limits (using ASUS probe).

Am trying reducing sound acceleration to basic as i think it maybe sound related. Anyone had similar or any solutions. It has only happened after an extended amount of play i think.

Cheers

Re: Freezing with sound skipping on new rig

Ok so played this morning for an hour with no issues at-all. This seems a randon lockup issue maybe with my soundcard. Speaking on a server with a few others, they are also haveing random lockups too.

I can only put it down to drivers and this game. All other games run OK. Any other folk having this unusual issue please speak up.

Comment

All I can say is that putting sound acceleration to basic in dxdiag and setting it to 'software' in the BF2 game menu has solved a lot of problems of lag and freezing for a lot of people.

Comment

Are these known issues then? Cant see them anywhere on EAs forum, but that dosent surprise me. New drivers be the cure-all?

Comment

Personally I had a problem with lag and VOIP where no one could hear me. I changed the sound acceleration to basic to solve the VOIP problem but the game was still blocky. (Realtek AC97 cards will mute the mic in BF2)

When I installed a cheap soundcard rather than using the built-in one on the motherboard it fixed the lag problem.

Comment

Ok its just happened again, within 5 mins of playing. Do not know what else to try except upping drivers to 81.98. There are beta creative drivers which are out which may help. Should i raise a support ticket with EA?

My mate is getting crash to desktops, other people are having freezing. This seems a little bit of a cluster **** to me.

No other games freeze on me excep this.

Comment

What type of power supply do you have? (list specs). I had the same problem and found that it was my power supply after trying everything else (including sound). I began monitoring the voltages and found them fluctuating horendously especially while playing. I upgraded the power supply and nothing else, and have not had one of these lockups since, its been about 4 months. The screen would either freeze or I would get a bunch of lines and I would have a terrible "digital" screeching type of sound until I shut off the power on the computer.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I wish it were so simple as a power supply upgrade. I have a 540watt brand new supply (PC is literally bought and tested and shipped only last week). That should be more than man enough for this rig. Specs are at the top of my post.

The annoying thing is It has just played two rounds with no glitch whatsoever. This and other folks problems leads me to believe in a sound or graphics driver conflict. Im leading toward sound as the problem here.

We will persevere. As said previous. All other games are fine (apart from a hang on exit in black and white 2 which is a known issue). The problem is entirely random.

Comment

Well, if you can't figure anything else out try downloading speedfan and monitor your voltages. There are many other specs in a PS besides the maximum wattage to look at like how many amps on the 12 rail. It may be inadequate. It is the exact problem I had.

look here

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/a...y_Guide_1.html

Comment

If you have not already, try turning off all the EAX crap that sound blaster likes so much. I use my computer mostly for making music. I had an Audigy 2 Plat. I was having alot of sound issues so I finally wipped out all the frilly sound control crap that comes with the sound card and installed the drivers only. I have had no problems after that. Good luck.

Comment

Ok, there are massive threads about Creative Sound Cards and Asus MB. Check the Creative forums. Or google type in x-fi crakling. This will get you to the forums quickly.

As far as turning off the sound card and going to software mode, wtf of course this will solve the problem, you aren't using the card, then why buy it to begin with. Turn off EAX? again, why buy the card?

I was able to solve my problems by changing some settings in the Creative control panel.

Creative says it's a problem with ASUS, ASUS says it's a problem with creative...

Forget all that and get your card working.

What I did was go into the creative control panel and made sure that SVM was off. You don't need that for gaming. What really worked for me was to turn down the EAX effects just below normal settings, -0.7 dB, and the other setting I changed to turn on the 24 bit crystalizer to 40%

I understand you don't have an x-fi card, but when I read the threads on the creative forums, all kinds of people were having the same issues. Different solutions worked for different people as well. So you can start with what worked for me.

My symptoms were very nasty, btw, I not only had crackling throughout the game, but on occasion it would go into into a complete audio meltdown, screeching like someone taking a vinyl record and scraping the needle back and forth on it.

hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Mr Lizard

I will try these workarounds. Where exactly in the creative console do you mean, what is SVM?. I suspected the sound issue as said, the crackling is almost ear piercing and hard locks the mofo.

Thanks again

Comment

You could try this, you said a Audigy 4 right, looks like there is a console there, now I am not sure that this console will be the same as mine because I have X-fi. Give it a shot.

Comment

Ok i have turned the eax volume down in the console. Where and what is SVM. The console came installed with my PC. I dont see how turning EAX volume amounts down will solve it to be honest. Also where is the 24 bit crystalizer?

Thanks again

Comment

Played a round this morning no problems. Some more help with above posts would be nice Lizard man

Comment

Working...
                              X