upgrading to 2 gigs of ram but?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading to 2 gigs of ram but?

I have a athlon xp 3200 and right now I have a 1gig of pc2700. I wanted to upgrade to 2 gigs of pc3200 but my motherboard only supports pc2700 and 2100, even though my fsb is 400mhz max. I thought with ram you could go as high as your fsb. Why do i have to use pc2700 which is 333mhz. When pc3200 is 400mhz which is the max of my fsb. Am i missing something here?

Re: upgrading to 2 gigs of ram but?

I suggest you just take a 1GB of PC2700. It's pointless to take PC3200, because it will always follow the speed of the slower version. And with two identical pieces they will perform better because of the DualDDR feature.

Comment

Battlefield 2 eats ram ...

Comment

i only have two slots available so the 2 sticks of 512 are going to come out and I wanted to put in 2 sticks of a 1gig a piece.

Comment

Hi,

You can either get a new motherboard and some Faster RAM or just buy the pc2700 RAM .

Comment

I would recommend a new Mobo, buying non PC3200 Memory is like throwing your $$ down the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by SaUrOn
              I suggest you just take a 1GB of PC2700. It's pointless to take PC3200, because it will always follow the speed of the slower version. And with two identical pieces they will perform better because of the DualDDR feature.
              you are so right.

Comment

Originally posted by j-train
                I would recommend a new Mobo, buying non PC3200 Memory is like throwing your $$ down the drain.

it may not run on his computer if it does not support pc3200 and the specific 3200 that he buys has problems running at 2700

Comment

Originally posted by -_J0N0_-
                  Battlefield 2 eats ram ...
                  yep i have 510mb of ram not 512 it says i have 510 lmao think about how i feel

Comment

u can do it!!!!!!!!

Comment

So when I look at ram and it says pc3200 and then has the number 400. Does the number 400 have anything to do with fsb? Or is that number 400 just the speed of the ram?

Comment

Working...
                      X