Crashing to desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashing to desktop

I just recently got this problem, the game just goes black and then to my desktop and shuts the game down.

I also notice on clean sweep map my game goes black and then i can play again and then it crashes.

My specs are:
    amd 2800+
    Geforce 6200 agp
    512mb ram
    350 watt power supply

Re: Crashing to desktop

Same problem here lolonly I cant play any map what so ever

My PC I built last week at the cost of £300
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz Socket 939 (Venice) @ 2.5GHz
    Hyper 6+ CPU cooler (Coolermaster)
    nFORCE 3 Motherboard (E-POX)
    512MB of RAM (will be a gig in about 3 days) (Manufacturer = Teamgroup)
    160GB SATA Hard drive (Maxtor) 7,200 RPM
    nVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB - AGP (inno3d)
    500 Watts PSu (Sumvision)
    Windows XP x64 Edition

Comment

300??Give us a breakdown of component prices....I'm getting ripped off here in sweden..Mind you with 25 % VAT on everything i guess it does add up

Comment

same thing happened to me i went to start the game and the screen went black and then went back to desktop i just turned my com of then turned it back on and it was fine

Comment

I have been having this problem too. I think it is the graphics card, driver, profile issue. I have upgraded to the latest driver (82,12 beta), cleaned my profiles and deleted the cache.

Played ok last evening with no problems. I was thinking this may be a heat issue with the video card......if it comes back I will install a fan. will report back if anything changes.

EDIT 30 DEC 2005: I am now thinking it may be a heat/power issue. During the day I did not have issues, but at night, black screen and crash to the desktop (during a decent game for me - lol). So I am back to looking at heat and power issues.

I have an ATX 250 W PSU that came stock with the comp, will replace with a 400-500W unit and will purchase extra cooling for the video card. I am only 50% confident this will work, but it will be beneficial to the rig if it turns out to not be the issue.

Will TOFTT to see if this solves the issue.

Comment

i can join and play until the end of the round. at the first screen that shows everyones score it will pause then click back to desktop. happens everytime.

got a error message only once...

"The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally"

I am using 79.11 drivers, tried newer ones but they always boot to 640*480 on the monitor and its just a black screen. With the 79.11 it boots to 1280*1024 which is my usual desktop. Before I install the default winxp driver wont go any lower than 800*600. I have no idea but others with the CTD at map load problem have updated all and still have a problem so maybe thats not it. Tired of trying over and over restarting with new drivers and them not working. Never had a problem with installing drivers before. I delete drivers from control panel>add/remove, delete the nvidia folder, and install from safe mode with no other programs running.

Gigabyte GA-7DX+
            2.1 XP
            PNY 6800GT 128
            1GB + 256 + 256 OCZ
            Audigy 2 Gamer

2x160GB Maxtor
            NIC Card
            USB 2.0 Card
            Liteon DVD8x
            CoolerMaster RS-450-ACLY Power

Its a tired rig but it has played BF2 for hours with no problem before this glitch started.

Comment

welcome to the club guys. I allready got another thread posting this. My oppinion is that it's that new patch (v1.12) that is screwing up everything. I never had a problem with my grafix driver untill I downloaded that patch and 5.13 version of my grafix driver (ATi Radeon 9600).

Comment

I am having similar problems. I can play for different amounts of time and then sound stops and black screen then desktop. I have not tried downloading the latest driver for my x800lx because the last time I instaled it it made my computer restart after I loged in to windows.

Comment

yes im having the same problem.......can anyone help please send me a link if you can

Comment

what version are the TNT drivers and are there any better ones?

Comment

UPDATE - Another thread talking about long wait time to initially get into the account server when you start the game... it may just be my imagination but i think mine started doing that about the same time i started crashing at the end of every map. The post said to do this:

Go into "My Documents > BF2 > Profiles > 001 > General.con

Edit the general.con file remove all the lines about favorite server and all the lines with "addServerHistory" in it. I didnt see any fav servers but i had a good amount of the history lines, each one for a single server, i removed them all and now my game does not crash to desktop at the end of EVERY round, it still crashed but it did it about 3 times over a whole evening. Its playable again. I have no idea if that did anything but i am thinking that helps. Good luck!

Comment

Im still crashing to desktop, has anyone thought of calling EA about this issue?

Comment

Don't even bother sending them an e-mail. Since I allready tried that with an other issue and they sent me an auto-message. But maby if you call, you might get a possitive responce. Someone contact EA about this issue then post it in this thread or a new one so this issue could be solved!

Comment

Working...
                          X