First day in a jet =)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day in a jet =)

Well, after some heli fun I decided to learn how to pilot jets...

I've been playing BF since the first game but I never used jets or helis...
    I had 1 kill (as copilot, spawned at squad leader, shot a single missile and hit something =P ) and 9 deaths (all crashes) as aviator. But this is changing =).

After 1-2 hours of Singleplayer pratice, I realized that:

1. Piloting jets is extremely fun and EASY; way easier than helicopters (and much more rewarding).

2. Once you take off, almost nothing can take you down. If you are smart enough, you will die only because of enemy jets.

3. You can rearm while you are FLYING and like 20 ms. above ground level.
    Uber cheap.

Then, I was playing a 64 Gulf of Oman as USMC and there was a squad in their Airfield. I spawned in there and luckily there was an empty plane!
    The round was ending, but even so I managed to get 3 KILLS in a single "bomb run"!!! I know, very few, but not for me; it's 3 times more than in the other 170 hours!

I am still practising, but I need some tips...

1. Why I can't hit the enemy jet even if I get the "locked" message and he have no flares?

2. When you have no bombs, do you use rockets and the cannon to hit ground targets or go back to rearm?

3. Is it better to use the mouse or the keyboard (arrow keys) if you don't have a joystick?

4. How can I hover with the jet and cap flags?

Thanks =)

Re: First day in a jet =)

Originally posted by Churrasco

2. When you have no bombs, do you use rockets and the cannon to hit ground targets or go back to rearm?

3. Is it better to use the mouse or the keyboard (arrow keys) if you don't have a joystick?

Thanks =)
    well,

2- (answer) You can go back and fly over a airstrip or carier and resupply your bombs, or you can just circle and just cannon what ever you see, but make sure your weapon is the bomb one so you can see cars etc..

3- I don't have a joystick and I use keyboard, I don't know what other people use, its really just a preference that you have, try both and see what you like better.

4- hard to explain, what you do is you let go of W and let your seed decrease and once it gets around 500 start hold S and you will come to a stop but you will be hoverying, make sure you pitch your plane back aswell or you might crash, but you have to estimate the time from you and the flag pole so you can stop over top and hover.

~daNgLez

Comment

Originally posted by daNgLezz
      4- hard to explain, what you do is you let go of W and let your seed decrease and once it gets around 500 start hold S and you will come to a stop but you will be hoverying, make sure you pitch your plane back aswell or you might crash, but you have to estimate the time from you and the flag pole so you can stop over top and hover.
      lol u are telling this guy how to get killed.

Comment

Planewhoring, a common practice. Check out the stats of kklklkl or Pugpug, both Pilots and earned their medals whilst in flight.

Trick is to go to a hit altitude, slow down, use the guns, after burner out. Go Play on wake, Plane whore Galore !

Oh and use the J-10.

No matter how good a "keyboard/mouse" pilot you are, you will get owned by good pilots with joysticks. Its a fact.

Comment

1. Why I can't hit the enemy jet even if I get the "locked" message and he have no flares?
          Because AA missile tracking is broken. This is the same reason that you don't have to worry about stinger emplacements.
          Go rearm. Missiles don't do much damage to non-aricraft are tend to vear off and chase friendlies. Some Canadian pilots discovered this in real life during the first Gulf War, BTW. They were armed for AA, but saw an enemy ship during their patrol. Bounced a couple Sidewinders off the hull and straffed 'em a few times. Managed to kill 3 people on board... and get their arse chewed on perty good by command.

Note: This is assuming you're flying a bomber. If you're in a fighter flying patrol looking for enemy choppers and planes is a better thing to be doing in most cases.
          "Better" is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the mouse myself, but your arm will get tired after awhile.
          Don't. That's not your job.

Comment

1. Cuz the missles suck ass and only work sometimes wen u dont think they will....

2.Use the cannon in Bomb mode and try to shoot at things u see at the ground such as jeeps and infantry....

3. Joystick...U will find manuevering much easier...

4.Dont.. ull die quickly...

Comment

"1. Why I can't hit the enemy jet even if I get the "locked" message and he have no flares?

4. How can I hover with the jet and cap flags?"

1. Well to fight other jets what i do is first get a good tail on them, if your in a
              J-10 you have the upper hand, if there in a J-10 they have the upper hand.
              Firstly, fly with bombs on, with AA missles on all your doign is lettign them knwo your behind them, get behidn them bombs on, there missle alert isnt going off, start pumping bullets into them, sooner or later they figure your behidn them, then the chase is on, switch to missles but still onyl use guns, wait for them to throw flares..switch back to bombs and just wait for that moment there leveled out and you are close to there tail QUICKLY switch to missles and fire them off, there flares wont be rdy since they just spent them.
              Plus having there Alert go off for 1.2 seconds before the missles are shot 90% of the time doesnt give them a chance to evade....best time to shooot anyone down is follow them to there air feild when the level otu to re-supply, blast them, they usally want more bombs or missles then save there arses. youll find its much easier to take out enemy jets with cannons.

2. with the bomber I never use it to attack fighters, unless there noobs, Ill chase down a bomber if its close and easy, other then that I will pump the cannon into ground forces as I fly back for bombs. In the fighter bombs are my least used thing, I occasinally go back if I dont see enemy bombers or fighters around to hassle my guys. But Ill usually save my fighter bombs for a important bombing like when a flag goes white, other then that I use my cannons for ground troops, you can get alot of kills off jeeps and assist from tanks.

3. I used both, Joy stick is much better imo for cannons and evading good pilots, makes air to ground with ccannons a ton easier.

4. if you hover more then just taking off...your dead meat if im in the air or next to an AA.

Comment

I found out how easy it is to kill stuff with the bomber yesterday, sorta rediculous, all i had to to was point at the box in the distance, track it, wait for the tone and fire. Almost sertain kill.

Comment

If he is turning very sharp, or his path of travel is not lined up within about 30 degrees of parallel to your jet, chances are it won't hit.

Make sure there is no friendly aircraft within the vicinity of your jet when you fire them off, if there is a friendly air unit in the area and your missile happens to see it after it has been shook, you mite end up with a tk.

There are a couple other things that can improve your odds of a good missile hit, but I'll let that be up in the air for now.

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Another question, how should I drop the bombs/fire the missiles?
                    I mean, one at once or do "missile runs" like in helos?

Comment

just fly behind E jet whit ur bombs
                      so that he dont knows that ur behind him
                      just wait until u heard the thrust of the E jet
                      en then Swicths 2 misslie and fire like crazy
                      it works for me

Comment

I like to think i'm quite good. I've taken down over 50 peeps to 9 deaths but i've only killed 2 of them lol. I normally let them chase me and they eventually crash becuase I dive and change direction constantly. I dive down to the sea and pull up just before and they crash. 70% of the time it works. Don't bother flying under pipes and bridges as they just fly over easily. Bank left and turn right etc. Dive down and change to up and loop over. I rarely use my rockets. I use bombing mode and shoot them down. So the only way they know if you're still there is if they look behind them.

But I wouldn't say you get as many points as choppers lol.

-Ben

Comment

A map like Oman is screwed up because its to easy to see vehicles and AA-players.
                          One of the reasons I like SF more is..... there no planes in it

Comment

Here's a good tip for you, when your behind an enemy plane turn off heat seekers and go for machine gun, unless that pilot hears alarm bells he's going to think first it's ground fire. Get up real close to him switch to sindwinders and let him have 2 of them.

Comment

Dont waste your time bombing 1-2people. Try and get tanks and APC's. Also, bomb the "typical" places.

Comment

Working...
                              X