Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I DL'ed SF, now i have to reinstall but it gives CD Key error?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I DL'ed SF, now i have to reinstall but it gives CD Key error?!?

I DL'ed SF and used EA's installer. My HD crashed. I still have SF files that I DL'ed but nothing else. I reinstalled BF2 just fine from DVD, applied all patches and it works.

Then I try to run SETUP.EXE from SF download dir. and near the beginning it says BF2CdKeyCheck.exe caused a crash of some sort and then the process gives you no choice but to quit.

Since I got no key because I DL'ed it, how do I reinstall now that I have a new HD??

TheDR

Re: I DL'ed SF, now i have to reinstall but it gives CD Key error?!?

Moved to support.

Comment

Ok..when you say your 'HD crashed'...did you completely re-format?

I'd recommend you do a complete MANUAL uninstall of BF2 as follows:

The above step is important as it wipes out all registry keys that can screw up future re-installs.

Then:
      -Install BF2 from DVD
      -Install SF from downloaded files
      -Patch to v1.12

You SHOULD still have had a key sent to you for use in installing SF...otherwise people would be pirating the EA downloader version of SF all over the place.

I bought my copy retail so I'm not entirely sure...

Comment

The problem is that he's lost his key, which was in that folder when he downloaded it. Just, see if there is a lost key option or just call up Ea. They have to have a sureproof way of fixing this, considering a few people might have lost their keys in the downloaded version of Sf. Did you give Ea your email when you downloaded it ?

Comment

Sounds like his downloaded files are still intact..he's getting an .exe error while re-installing.

Comment

Might be a corrupt version of the file.

Did you reformat and copy the files onto your HD ?

Because sometimes files corrupt when they are moved or copied.

Comment

No guys... you are getting off track. First, yes I meant a total HD crash and total reformat. I am not dealing with registry issues or other old BF2 remnants. This is a clean install. The problem I am having I have learned after doing more searching is a known issue for those who have DL'ed SF instead of buying it retail.

When you DL SF EAGames does *not* give you a SN. Stupid huh?? Somehow, built into their goofy system they force you to DL an app called EA Downloader and from that app you click a button called "INSTALL". This button only appears after you have paid for and DL'ed the product. After I purchased and got to this point I thought to myself 'I wonder what happens if/when I need to reinstall'. And now I know. People all over have been getting the same error I got and EA's official response it that they do now know but "call our support". Great answer, huh?

So, moving on, I decided to try and fix it myself last night. I have 2 systems (home/work) both have separate and legal copies of BF2 and SF. By comparing differences between the working system I was able to piece together a fix. I posted that fix in another forum but I will repost here.

If this info is in the wrong place hopefully someone can move it to the right place?

TheDR

Comment

Working...
              X