Advanced Server Admin Scripting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Server Admin Scripting

Are there any server scripters out there?
    Anyone know anything about how to interface with the server?

I've gots some thoughts that could help smooth out some of the grief we've been seeing lately, but I'm not familiar with server scripting at all.

Some basic assumptions I've made (please correct me if I'm off base with any of these):
    - I assume that there's some sort of logger built in. If this logger can be set to output kill/death info (as I would think it should), it can be used to power scripts that do interesting things.
    - Since there's remote admin apps out there, scripts should be able to interface with servers directly. Kicking, banning, teamchanging, and map changing should all be possible via scripts.

A couple ideas based on these assumptions (please note, these are all intended for particular admins to have more power to enforce their own particular tastes in what they want to see on their servers. No one would be forced to use any/all of these):

- Auto-kicking players that TK with the M95 against vehicles. It would be a reasonably simple matter to check the killer's weapon against what the victem was in. If the weapon was an M95 and the victem was in a vehicle, it's a very safe bet that the killer needs to be kicked.

- Auto-scaling map sizes depending on player counts. You should be able to check the number of players connected at the end of each round and modify the map list accordingly. If there are less than 16 players, change to 16 player maps. If there's more than 40, change to 64 player maps. Exact numbers and thresholds should be configurable by the admin.

- Auto-Kick commanders that fly. Nice and simple. If the commander is in a plane, kick him. It would be better to auto-mutany or force a resign, but I'm less sure that it could be done via scripting.

- Auto-kick commanders for exessive Artillery TKs. Another simple one. You can track how many times a commander has blown up his own troops and boot him once it passes a certain number. Again, the threshold is something that should be settable by the admin.

I'm sure there's more thoughts on things that could be done with this, but I'm gonna let it rest for now. Feel free to add any ideas of your own.

If there's enough interest in this sort of thing, but no talent willing to work on it I might consiter getting my hands dirty and delving into it myself. That would take awhile tho... there's lots of stuff I'd have to bone up on.

Re: Advanced Server Admin Scripting

Why would admins do that?

How will they make sure they dont kick the clan members that has the exclusive rights to TK? People join clans so they can act like an ass in their own server without getting kicked, this defies the whole point.

Comment

Originally posted by iewgnem
      Why would admins do that?

How will they make sure they dont kick the clan members that has the exclusive rights to TK? People join clans so they can act like an ass in their own server without getting kicked, this defies the whole point.
      For staters, not all clans are the same. I play with some very good clanners although I haven't joined any myself. By "good" I mean like to play the game as intended and make sure that everyone is having fun on their pubs (except the griefers).

However, it's also a very simple matter to check for a clan tag and excuse any player that has the correct one. You can go a step further (to avoid iligit tags) by making a master member list that the scripts can check against.

I'd personally hate to see this abused that way, but it's totally possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
        - Auto-scaling map sizes depending on player counts. You should be able to check the number of players connected at the end of each round and modify the map list accordingly. If there are less than 16 players, change to 16 player maps. If there's more than 40, change to 64 player maps. Exact numbers and thresholds should be configurable by the admin.
        that was one of those things they advertised when the game was coming out. I thought 'cool, when more ppl join the map will adjust', but no, imo 3 different maps is not 'auto scaled' EA.
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Working...
        X