Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I played some Desert Combat last night... first time in well over a year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I played some Desert Combat last night... first time in well over a year.

After much downloading, I reinstalled BF1942 and DC last night.

Impressions:
    • Holy hell do the soldier models suck. They definitely did a better job with the animation and proportions in BF2
    • Air combat is significantly more fun in DC. The balance created by AA > Fighters > Bombers is much more enjoyable, and spreads the fun around to a variety of playstyles. I spent most of my time in a ground attack plane working on armor and AA emplacements. And when I got shot down by a fighter it didn't seem quite as deplorable, since that's its specific purpose (and it wasn't owning everything on the map... just me).
    • Small arms action felt much the same, though it seemed like it was much easier to kill someone.
    • Helicopters are a whole different world - I used to be good at them in DC, but it took some real re-learning. You have to "counter-steer" every action since DC choppers won't settle or re-center on their own. But wow, the AT Hellfire missiles were fun. You can also hold down the trigger to chain-fire the rocket pods - a very nice touch.
    • Buggy looks cooler (big, meaty tires) but is a b1tch to drive. Apparently neither DC nor BF2 figured out how to code realistic tire traction
    • All around HUD interface elements are crisper in BF2 (I am still impressed by the innovative commo-rose), but the loading times and menuing system in BF1942 are FAR SUPERIOR to BF2 - especially when handling key conflicts. That's odd, since the same team created both.
    • I recall the DC maps being a lot more fun, so I wanted to confirm whether or not that's fact or nostalgia. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to play through most of them last night - I'll update when I do.

DC's a blast. I think it's a better game than BF2 except it's limited by the refractor2 engine, and not having SDK access. Definately has a higher learning curve than BF2 though. I think Trauma is working on a new project with the BF2 engine, although I'm not positive and haven't heard anything about that in a long while.

Comment

Re: I played some Desert Combat last night... first time in well over a year.

Yeah but the choppers in DC are so unrealistic its not even funny....

Yeah I have found after playing BF2 it is much easier to kill people in BFV and 42 along with any mods for the previous stated...

Have you ever played DCX (Desert Combat Extended)

Comment

I loved Battle of 73 Eastings. Pure armour. And when a teammate actually used the scud properly and you see it hit US's main base, brings back fond memories.

DC was a nice mod, it had ALOT of content, for example, The no fly zone map, which wasn't a fun map, but still different in its own way.
        It had tons of planes to choose from, which back then i didn't recognize one from the other. Desert maps, and city maps.

I still feel like reinstalling it, but i just cant get myself to play with the outdated graphics.

Comment

I also played DC again a few months ago.......and just LOOK AT IT.

cant believe there is ppl actually playing that anymore.

Big meety tires or just big pixels?:laugh:

...though 73rd easting & El Lamein were good maps...and the helis was good to fly to.

Comment

I still play DC & DC Final great fun I also play GC, Pirates & FH. I have a freind I play some other mods with cause there are no servers like StarGate, Sureal, CIS & Transformers.

GC=Galactic Conquest the medic lethal injection kill is still the best.

Pirates AARRGGHH! just run'n around spamming "I'll slit your gizzard" makes it worth the dnload.

FH= Forgoten Hope great tank action

Stargate staff weapons are cool.

CIS infantry fighting & realistic Helos physics

Transformers jetpacks & blasters nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny
              Big meety tires or just big pixels?:laugh:
              Meaty tires:

Comment

Were you on Dead Meat? That's about the only populated DCF server I saw last time I looked (which is fine since that was always my preferred server anyway). One of these days I'm going to try DCFX:Joint Arsenals (http://widowx.com/phpBB2/index.php).

Comment

I usually fire up DC every now and again too, great fun.

Comment

i cant get bf1942 to load:locked: :banana:

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoSnowMan
                      I think Trauma is working on a new project with the BF2 engine, although I'm not positive and haven't heard anything about that in a long while.
                      Trauma doesn't exist anymore, and the members were offered jobs at Dice. Who took the jobs and who didn't, I don't know.

Comment

lol why would you put yourself though that sh!tty ass game :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDonkey
                          Yeah but the choppers in DC are so unrealistic its not even funny....

Yeah I have found after playing BF2 it is much easier to kill people in BFV and 42 along with any mods for the previous stated...

Have you ever played DCX (Desert Combat Extended)
                          Not really, DC choppers are far more realistic then any chopper in BF2 and bfV.

DC is a far better game than battlefield 2 in nearly all aspects.

Comment

I miss the desert maps from DC. The rolling sand dunes that stretched out for miles. Really gave a feeling of being in a stereotypical desert..

Comment

I don't get it. BF2 is DC, just loaded with more features. Only difference was the helo's were fun to fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X