Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to command??

Hmm...

I have a reasonable commander point average (175 points/hour) , and maybe a 4:1 win/loss ratio as commander.

I didn't play as commander a long time, so I decided to apply yesterday. I applied twice, and my team won 189-0 and 125-0 (300 total tickets). As you guys know, the commander points are calculated as the average of your teams points...

So if I simply stop helping my team, or even helping the ENEMY (but ensure victory when necessary) I will get more points, right? Would this be better to rack up some commanding points?

Re: Best way to command??

The answer is "The best commanders dont do it for points".

The question to you is "Do you want to be a good commander, or just get commander points ?".

Comment

Well..... Putting on my commander googles I would say there is 2 way to command....

Which is the "best" I wont say...

1 . The active way to get your team to win.... Do tactics, inform squads.. UAV constantly, Anticipate where supplys is needed before ppl need to ask, Arty the crap out of the other team before a squad attacks a flag....

If you have good squads and players, this will get you the win quickly and ensure total devestation of the other team... But this wil again mean you wont get so many points (because the round ends quickly)....

2. Maximizing your points (and also your teams), by dragging the round out.... if in a position where you can see you will win if doing #1... simply cut down on supplys, and only give UAV's when your team is attacking a flag.... If you see the enemy attacking a flag.. let them take it, you can take it back afterwards...

I will point out that this ONLY works if you feel you have the advantage and will win anyway... then you can maximize yours.. AND your teams points by doing your part in prolonging the round... actually in principle your giving the ENTIRE server a better game....

--Your getting your team to win (allthough they probably could do that without you).
      --Your giving everyone (incl. the opponent) a more exiting game, ie. closer.
      --Because the round lasts longer your giving EVERYONE more points pr. round.

But let me make this absolutely clear.... a commander does NOT win a game.... no matter how good he is, if the entire team runs around as lone wolfs, vs. a complete Squad system as the opponent, you will loose anyway... I see alot of commanders doing the (prolonging) even if your grosely behind... this is also wrong...

Basically, its simple..... the longer the round lasts, the more points everybody gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Moke
        Basically, its simple..... the longer the round lasts, the more points everybody gets.

That really shouldn't matter. Whipping the other teams arse should give a good amount of points/time, so the net result would be no different.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilist
          That really shouldn't matter. Whipping the other teams arse should give a good amount of points/time, so the net result would be no different.

Havent really spent anytime as the commander but from reading these forums, isnt the commander points made up of the teams average (ie no points for killing etc) could anyone point out what the commander needs to do to get points (this is simply for the commader badges).

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilist
            True... Points pr. hour is not affected (much anyway)..... but there are no badges that require points pr. hour... they all require points IAR...

So for those who care about stats, and their badges/ribbons, the longer the round lasts the better...

(And I'm assuming that the OP is one of those, since he asked how to get more points)

Comment

Originally posted by Moke
              But let me make this absolutely clear.... a commander does NOT win a game.... no matter how good he is, if the entire team runs around as lone wolfs, vs. a complete Squad system as the opponent, you will loose anyway... I see alot of commanders doing the (prolonging) even if your grosely behind... this is also wrong...

Commander does not win a game - my ass. I have had so many rounds lost because of a crappy commander - and many many many more won because of the direct action of the commander.

The commander is the single most influential person on the team - hence the name and position.

I been out on pub servers and been on the losing side - taken over commander and had our team pull a 180 and win every map from then on - and win by landslides of 100-200 pts...when previously they were losing by that amount.

Most of the time when a team is losing, when you look, they do not have a commander, or they do not have one that is doing thier job.

As for someone taking the commander position only for the points - you are a ****ty commander. There are much better ways of getting larger scores if that is what you are after. Get off your ass and figure them out. If you are just trying to be lazy and earn an assload of points - going commander and wasting that position while you just sit there - is only going to make your team lose, and I will laugh at you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerStein
                Commander does not win a game - my ass. I have had so many rounds lost because of a crappy commander - and many many many more won because of the direct action of the commander.

The commander is the single most influential person on the team - hence the name and position.

I been out on pub servers and been on the losing side - taken over commander and had our team pull a 180 and win every map from then on - and win by landslides of 100-200 pts...when previously they were losing by that amount.

Most of the time when a team is losing, when you look, they do not have a commander, or they do not have one that is doing thier job.

As for someone taking the commander position only for the points - you are a ****ty commander. There are much better ways of getting larger scores if that is what you are after. Get off your ass and figure them out. If you are just trying to be lazy and earn an assload of points - going commander and wasting that position while you just sit there - is only going to make your team lose, and I will laugh at you for it.
                a commander does NOT win a game

Let me guess... you stopped reading after that, and forgot to read the rest ??

No matter how good he is, if the entire team runs around as lone wolfs, vs. a complete Squad system as the opponent, you will loose anyway.

Comment

I just started this thread. I was going to post in here as well but it's a different topic even though still about commanding. But I think it's appropriate to mention it here. After commanding for my first time last night, I can't understand what the hell most commanders are busy doing when I'm screaming for UAV scans!

Comment

I agree some of those point, but basically, a good team can fight w/o a good commander. I saw a lot of cases where the majority of the team was just camping @ the flag even (even tho that might be the last flag), And they just waiting to get killed.
                    Also, 1/3 to half of the team won't join the squards and half of the squards won't listen to your command.

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
                      So if I simply stop helping my team, or even helping the ENEMY (but ensure victory when necessary) I will get more points, right? Would this be better to rack up some commanding points?
                      Yes, you will get more points. Would it be better? No, not for your team. If you're denying them intelligence they could use to better kill the enemy, attack / defend bases you're causing some unnecessary deaths on your team's part.

The only thing I do remotely resembling this is if I as CO know we're going to win, I'll stop doing arty strikes. I continue to do UAV, satellite scans, resupply and spotting though. I don't care about the points...I do it because I want the other team to enjoy the game more. When I'm fighting, I hate to lose a lopsided round...the only things worse is losing big AND having the opposing CO continuing to bomb the crap out of me. Often that's enough for me to quit and find another server or something else to do.

Comment

You answered your own question, the commander does NOT win the game (his team does it for him, with his assistance). But a commander can LOSE a game by being crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by jlspence
                          I do it because I want the other team to enjoy the game more. When I'm fighting, I hate to lose a lopsided round...the only things worse is losing big AND having the opposing CO continuing to bomb the crap out of me. Often that's enough for me to quit and find another server or something else to do.
                          Nice. As a commander, I'll quite often turn a blind eye on the enemy taking over a certain flag. People often forget that this is a game and the opponent isn't our enemy- And besides, it's more fun to win an even round. Hell, I'd rather lose a really intense, close game than win one hands down.

Comment

Ooops. I give hell to the end... =P

And today commanded two or three times and never left the command screen. I REALLY love commanding. But I made some mistakes today as well. I need to learn better communication prior to my arty strikes, and I need to place them better. The delay is so great that usually instead of the huge hit I was going to make, I get just one or two.

My favorite part is the Zoom3. You can't beat it.

Comment

Zoom function is great! If a oppenent is entering the captured flag, you come out off you're hide-out. And Defend the captured flag.
                              When you're playing little- or no arty-maps its good to attack sometimes undefend flags. Dont risk you're life and go to the command menu when you're in a save hideout because you cant hear battlesounds. Dont defend non-captured flags and play as engineer, because you're team needs supply drops constantly. Those supply drops dissappear after amount of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X