why the heck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why the heck

can i never download a freggin battle demo?
    i have bookmarks saying i can download battle recorder files but i always get some sort of ****in error like server failed to send file or some ********
    why do they always do this is it the ****ty server?

Re: why the heck

Yes, I once actually wanted to go back and just relax, and re-watch a battle in thirdperson unfold before my eyes. I went to download the battlerecorder demos, yet they would never initiate, with some sort of error regarding the server.

Comment

Just another lame, pointless and useless feature that adds absolutly nothing to the game -- like the commander. Well, atleast commander mode works..

Comment

Are you kidding me? Are you even aware of the functionality and purpose of the battlerecorder utility?

With that, you can make replay all your saved demos from any perspective. This is good for simply sitting back and enjoying watching the battle from a spectating perspective. Gunfire everywhere.

Also, Battlerecorder is great for producting cinemas, screenshots, and movies.

Comment

Originally posted by D|sso
          Are you kidding me? Are you even aware of the functionality and purpose of the battlerecorder utility?

With that, you can make replay all your saved demos from any perspective. This is good for simply sitting back and enjoying watching the battle from a spectating perspective. Gunfire everywhere.

Also, Battlerecorder is great for producting cinemas, screenshots, and movies.
          I know what it's for. I was deriding it for the fact that there aren't any servers that have it enabled, much less working when it IS enabled. Pointless feature. Might as well remove it if admins are too stupid to work it.

Comment

I didnt think many did either, but using the filter setting, There actually are a wide variety of servers with it enabled.

Come to think of it, does having battlerecorder enabled on a server reduce the performance? I mean to think of it having to record every action, move, and occurance for hours at a time for up to 64 players, I'm sure it HAS to have some affect?

Comment

I didnt think many did either, but using the filter setting, There actually are a wide variety of servers with it enabled.
              Yes, that is very true. This has already been discussed on this forum before. The vast majority of those servers that you see with battlerecorder enabled do not have it set up properly.

Come to think of it, does having battlerecorder enabled on a server reduce the performance? I mean to think of it having to record every action, move, and occurance for hours at a time for up to 64 players, I'm sure it HAS to have some affect?
              I doubt it has much of a performance hit. DICE probably uses a similiar method to "record" game events like quake style demos. But a 64 player server that is running constantly would probably create huge files, and huge files aren't something server admins want 64 players to download all at once methinks.

Comment

The problems you're having are with the servers you are playing on. Most have the battlerecorders either off or mis-configured.

Many also disable the in-game ability to DL the files in favor of hosting them on passworded FTP sites.

Raging Rebels is the only server I've seen with BattleRecorder set up properly. If you find any others, post 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by bitvomit
                  But a 64 player server that is running constantly would probably create huge files, and huge files aren't something server admins want 64 players to download all at once methinks.
                  Properly set up, all the game server does is make a pointer to an outside FTP server that hosts the files. Thus, no extra load on the gameserver.

Comment

Roger on it being a server-side misconfigeration problem. That clears it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
                      Properly set up, all the game server does is make a pointer to an outside FTP server that hosts the files. Thus, no extra load on the gameserver.
                      I'm aware that not many people in their right mind would allow large downloads from the same box that's running the server process. I was just pointing out the fact that server admins don't want that kind of costly traffic on top of whatever they pay for game server bills.

Comment

Ah. Good point.
                        Unless you're lucky enough to have a comercial BW source.

Comment

You'll prolly find that you don't have access to the files. For example, in Australia the Internode servers record battledemos, but unless you are with InterNode as your ISP, you can't download those files :/

Comment

Havn't had problems so far on most european clan servers to download recorded demos.
                            Some servers only host the demo files for a few days then delete them. Maybe that's why you are not being able to download them. Aside from faulty server side configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
                              Raging Rebels is the only server I've seen with BattleRecorder set up properly. If you find any others, post 'em!
                              Just checked that and it doesn't work either... Doesn't even show up in the list...

Comment

Working...
                              X