Low FPS with x800 ati pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low FPS with x800 ati pro

I've been trying to fix this problem since I've had this game. Ive ran virus scans, spyware scans, system optimizers, defrag, newest drivers (BIOS, sound, video).... the works. Ive tried overclocking, and setting all settings to low. No matter what I do, I maintain a FPS around 10-20. I have the same problem with Battlefeild Veitnam. Does anyone have any advice... or suggestions? Thanks. All help is appreciated.

P4 2.66, 533mhz FSB, Intel chipset
    1 GB o' Ram PC2700
    ATI x800 Pro
    Soundblaster Audigy 2
    Atleast 30 Gigs of HD free

Re: Low FPS with x800 ati pro

i'm no expert, but if your fps sucks even after you've done all you've done, if i were you, i'd reformat and reinstall. even on low, you should be able to play with no problems with your pc specs.

Comment

As I said in the other thread about FPS. It's all about the ram, get 1 gig more.

It's crucial for BF2.

Comment

yup 2G owns

Comment

Yeah, but ram is not the root of his problems...try turning down your DIMM timings in your bios mabye?

Comment

Thanks, I'll try both of those.

Comment

Set your sound settings to low as well.

Comment

Originally posted by theguy
                Set your sound settings to low as well.
                Yeah, and make sure that the EAX stuff is disabled.

Comment

Your problem is not the X800 it's the P4. 533FSB with single channel memory most likely. Not an optimal gaming rig. Look for chipset drivers at Intel's site. Check that AGP aperture is set to 256MB in the BIOS. Run sound on hardware setting and medium quality with EAX enabled. Turn off VOIP. Run graphic quality on all medium except view distance 100% and texture filtering on high. Moderate overclocking should also help.

Go into My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache and empty that folder. It will make BF2 redo the optimisations which can help. Go to www.guru3d.com and look for NGO Optimized ATI drivers. I used their 5.8 and it was good for my X800XT. If you overclock be careful with ram timings. Try to find out what your memory supports first.

Normally you should have 4 memory settings. On the memory chips they are often printed like this: 7-3-3 CL 2.5. The highest value is called Min Ras# Active Time or something similar. Good ram can use a value of 5 but often they are set to 6 or 7. The next is called Row Precharge time and good memory can use a setting of 2. On a PC2700 memory stick the value 3 is often used. The next value is RAS to CAS delay and again good ram can use 2. Most likely your ram will use 3 here. The last setting is CAS latency and is often CL 2 or CL 2.5.

You can most likely overclock a bit and keep your memory at the specified timings. They tend to have a bit of tolerance for that. You should also consider looking into how to turn off some services and functions in XP to reduce the number of processes in the background. Some antivirus programs use a lot of resources. Especially Norton. TuneUp Utilities 2004/2006 has a registry cleaner and registry defragmenter which I use often.

Comment

Working...
                  X