Fixed my choppyness issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed my choppyness issues

Before I fixed this, my infantry play was pretty much OK, but I couldn't fly a chopper at all because I would get slideshow.

Becaue the moderators here are lazy to make a sticky with links to issues and FAQs, I'll contribute (to probably one of many posts).

I made the following changes at once and I'm listing them in order of highest fix probbabilty:
    - PCI latency in BIOS set from 32 to 64 (per suggestion ofr ATI drivers)
    - Upgraded punkbuster (not 100% sure if there was anything to upgrade, but the tool checked).
    - All settings (were) medum reduced effects and geometries to low.
    - Made sound setting to Hardware acceleration, but switched to Basic Acceleration in dxdiag because I had sound issues otherwise.

System:
    AMD 2400+
    1GB RAM
    AGP GF 6600GT

Re: Fixed my choppyness issues

what do you recomend i do in the bios for a nvidia card?

Comment

dude uve just turned down ur graphics settings O.o hardly worth making a sticky over, everyones been telling everyone to turn down their graphic settings, none of the other things u done made a difference, even the bios setting

Comment

Originally posted by kamenjar
        Before I fixed this, my infantry play was pretty much OK, but I couldn't fly a chopper at all because I would get slideshow.

Becaue the moderators here are lazy to make a sticky with links to issues and FAQs, I'll contribute (to probably one of many posts).

I made the following changes at once and I'm listing them in order of highest fix probbabilty:
        - Upgraded punkbuster (not 100% sure if there was anything to upgrade, but the tool checked).
        - Made sound setting to Hardware acceleration, but switched to Basic Acceleration in dxdiag because I had sound issues otherwise.

System:
        AMD 2400+
        1GB RAM
        AGP GF 6600GT
        Switching off the gudgeon pin interface will help also !

Comment

Originally posted by bisley
          Switching off the gudgeon pin interface will help also !
          Not as important as formatting your RAM...

Comment

I'm betting changing that graphics option was the only change that made a real difference

Comment

did anyone else catch that he changed his PCI lat timings per suggestion ATI drivers?

He is running a Nvidia 6600GT

what ATI drivers would he be using?? I think THAT could be his problem. lol

Comment

AGP GF 6600GT

Maybe.... Just Maybe the mods here didnt sticky your post to prevent eveyone from seeing how uterly useless it truely is.

As with the previous poster... Why are you messing with ATI recomendations for an Nvidia card?

And.... Wow... Lowered your resolution. That must be the 1st time I head that recomendation... at least in the last 10 seconds.

Comment

Before u guys start ranting about my post why don't u contribute and help others fix the issue???

Originally posted by amish marauder
                  did anyone else catch that he changed his PCI lat timings per suggestion ATI drivers?

He is running a Nvidia 6600GT

what ATI drivers would he be using?? I think THAT could be his problem. lol
                  I don't have a problem. Do you? When I pilot a chopper I get perfect framerates ever since I updated those listed things.

I AM running an Nvidia card and I'm not stupid. What I read (in reference to ATI) on ea forums is that they suggest that people who are running ATI drivers chenge the PCI latency in driver settings, or so I unserstood the recommendation. As Nvidia does not have that option, I had to change it in BIOS, not the drivers. There are also some tools u can download to adjust this if BIOS doens't have the option.

Comment

Originally posted by guidon666
                    Maybe.... Just Maybe the mods here didnt sticky your post to prevent eveyone from seeing how uterly useless it truely is.

As with the previous poster... Why are you messing with ATI recomendations for an Nvidia card?

And.... Wow... Lowered your resolution. That must be the 1st time I head that recomendation... at least in the last 10 seconds.
                    I wasn't asking the mods to sticky my post, but rather a post that solves this issues that's proly dug deep in the junk on this forum. The mods do an awful job on this forum of maintaining a collection of useful information.
                    And who the **** said that I lowered my resolution? I'm running 12__x1024 right now I reduced geometry and effects, and I didn't even notice the difference in-game. It looks as beautiful as it did before. And who the **** said that I was refering to any AIT's recommendation for nvidia crads? If u wanna be useful go check my list and see which one of the changes actually helps and make a new post that finally friggen solves this thing for all of us! I did my job and I'm done. Now you do yours, and contribute rather than rant!

Comment

Ok, well with respect to Talus's remark, this IS a bug. I am not saying that it is expected that people get this lag because it their systems are just not good enough. We know for a fact hat BF2 original had not (and I think still has not) issues with choppers and lag. For them to acknowledge a bug ... We aren't going thru propper channels. To be honest I don't think there are any, because we keep seeing the smame issues over and over.

And as far as ATI recommendations... Let me put it this way... If you want to you can read http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0 and figure out for yourself why I thought this would be useful. I don't really feel like explaining myself about a setting that has besically no noticable effect on system performance. PCI latency is a general tweak that is not ATI nor nvidia-specific.

And to address your "lowering settings" comment. I have read the exact post which is one of the many you are refering to. The post says to lower your settings, it doessn't say which setting specifically to lower. I narrowed it down to a few for you! And to tell you honestly, I think that both effects and geometry are a huge FPS and memory hogs. I got only 1GB of ram and 128 MB video and and I'm happy I set those to low. The rest are Medium, which is appropriate for my stystem. Now if someone has a system that can run everything else on high whey will suffer the most. I just hope that any of the other ones get rid of the stutter in fact.

Edit: got no clue why this reply shows out of order but it's a reply to guidon's post below.

Comment

I wasn't asking the mods to sticky my post, but rather a post that solves this issues that's proly dug deep in the junk on this forum. The mods do an awful job on this forum of maintaining a collection of useful information.
                        You got me there. Misread. BUT nowhere does it say that mods of a site that is not paid for by EA or DICE need to maintain a fixing forum. Why dont you start one and post fixes on your site.

And who the **** said that I lowered my resolution? I'm running 12__x1024 right now I reduced geometry and effects, and I didn't even notice the difference in-game. It looks as beautiful as it did before.
                        I will kind of give you this one too.. As I meant more towards "Quality" settings than resolution. who wants to run on Med when they can run on high. Sure... lower it to LOW and you will get even less chopyness... Everyone and their mother has been making this recomendation from day one.

And who the **** said that I was refering to any AIT's recommendation for nvidia crads?
                        You did.
                        PCI latency in BIOS set from 32 to 64 (per suggestion ofr ATI drivers)
                        And you state you have an 6600gt (ATI doesnt make that card... so why are you using their drivers? and their driver recomendations?)

If u wanna be useful go check my list and see which one of the changes actually helps and make a new post that finally friggen solves this thing for all of us! I did my job and I'm done. Now you do yours, and contribute rather than rant!
                        Why would I want to follow ATI driver recomendations for my nvidia card?
                        Or run in a lower setting than I allready am?

Wasnt ranting. No need to. (Unlike yourself and all your little temper tantrums that were blocked out by the forum software.) Runs fine on my system so I wouldnt even know where to start in offering others advice on their own. BUT in seeing yet another thread that states they fixed it by lowering things... etc. It's old.. been done.. and weeds out the potential really helpful posts.

Comment

And to address your "lowering settings" comment. I have read the exact post which is one of the many you are refering to. The post says to lower your settings, it doessn't say which setting specifically to lower. I narrowed it down to a few for you! And to tell you honestly, I think that both effects and geometry are a huge FPS and memory hogs. I got only 1GB of ram and 128 MB video and and I'm happy I set those to low. The rest are Medium, which is appropriate for my stystem. Now if someone has a system that can run everything else on high whey will suffer the most. I just hope that any of the other ones get rid of the stutter in fact.

Firstly, sorry all for digging up this useless thread, but kamenjar you really must be told as now ive read a few of your posts and saying to people about doing their research but it would seem to me how you conduct yourself and then explain is not correct and borders on being downright rude.

Secondly, the settings that will hardest hit your system are lighting dynamic lighting/shadows and AA (do YOUR research).

and Thirdly, when your telling people about "Fixed my chopiness issues" that it is an actual fix and not some work around by turning the game into original doom (ie lowering settings).

**Heres some research** you should also tell the people that the PCI latency timer tool does not work with PCI GPU's , it will only work with AGP cards (as PCI cards do not have/use latency timers).

again sry all but i had to say.

Comment

Working...
                          X