BF2 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Problem

Ok so this problem has been going on for a while. I have the PC CD version of BF2 and here's my specs.

Chaintech VNF4
    AMD 3200+ winchester
    Sapphire x850XT pci express
    3x512 Kingston value ram pc-3200
    250 GB Seagate barracuda
    Soundblaster audigy 2 zs
    CoolerMaster Centurion 5
    Antec Truepower 430 W
    Sylvania 17" flat
    Logitech MX500
    Steelpad QcK
    Sennheiser PC150

Ok so here's the problem, I haven't played this game in a while because of the problem, and then the other day i installed the 1.12 patch to see if magically it would be fixed. So after installing the patch I got in, and surprisingly started playing. I got it going for a little bit, and then the problem occurred again, freezing. What happens is i'll boot up the game, get to the server select screen. When i'm here, my game will minimize and I get a message from Norton asking if i want to permit this action. If I click yes I do, then it just goes back to the game and after looking for a server, it comes right back up and minimizes the game. So I just leave the norton window open and go back into the game, no biggie. Then I'll find a server and get in. Sound works, cursor moves and as I go to select a kit, the game freezes. Visuals don't move, sound loops, and mouse locks up. I've also had a problem where the game doesn't freeze (at least I don't think so because the sound doesn't loop) but the mouse locks up and won't move. I've changed drivers, tried to uninstall, and when I do, the game works for a bit like when I installed the patch, then it freezes soon after. I've been told this may be a ram problem andI have 3 sticks of ram. 2 are exactly the same and 1 is the same type, but slightly different code or something, still Kingston 512 like the other 2. I've tried taking that one out and booting my computer up but when I do that it won't even get to windows, so I'm in single channel mode with 1.5 gb of ram, instead of 1 gb of dual channel ram, I don't know why it won't boot to windows in dual channel. I am gonna be getting another gb (2x512) of RAM, the same as the 2 sticks, and hopefully that will fix the problem (if it at least gets to windows). Would that solve it? Maybe I should get a new version of the game like the PC-DVD, perhaps the disk is damaged. I REALLY want to play it since I'm tired of CS and such. Any help is appreciated. (Sorry for the long ass post)

EDIT: just turned off the Norton Auto-Protect and started up the game. I got the pop up again but more specifically it's the Internet Worm protection. I got into a server and got playing for about half an hour or so then right mid game it froze again. Rebooted tried to turn off the Norton internet worm protection, this time it didn't pop up but it froze on the kit select screen like before. Just teasing me by giving me that half hour

Re: BF2 Problem

Moved to Support.

Comment

Check to make sure the key bindings aren't getting lost as BF2 has a tendency to do this.

Also the power supply although it is a good maker seems a bit on the smaller side for your setup. I'm powering a little more beefy of a setup with 450 and I'm barely getting buy until my new OCZ stuff comes (I'm swtiching to AMD from Intel).'

You may also want to look at graphics card temps. My X850 runs Xtremely hot until I got the artic cooling rev 5 on there. Now it runs between 39-55.

Comment

Make sure that you have no Firewall running like the XP firewall or any other program. I have Zonealarm on and I can play but since its doing its job my ping goes hecka high so I turn it of and my XP firewall is off also. If you turn off the Norton program by going file quit or clickin second botton on Norton iconin the task bar the mouse and exit. The Norton still might be running in the back ground so to make sure its off press. Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get the windows task manager and click on process and find the file for Norton. Im not sure what it should say something with Norton.exe I think

Comment

Working...
        X