This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your specs and performance

Apparently many people are having performance issues. I believe a lot of these are system configuration issues and not BF2's coding. Perhaps if we all list our PC's specs and how well BF2/ BF2:SF runs we can get an idea of how well our configurations should run.

My PC:

ASUS P4P800 AGP Motherboard
    Pentium IV 3.4E (Air Cooled, stock speed)
    2 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (Dual Channel)
    ATI X800XT AIW
    SB Audigy Gamer

My Settings:

1280 X 1024 @85Hz
    All settings on high
    4X AA
    Sound set to Hardware and high (EAX enabled)

With this configuration BF2 and BF2:SF run fantastic. I used to run at 1600 X 1200 and would run BF2 at 60 fps average. I lowered the resolution because I actually like how it looks at 1280 X 1024 better, but there is no major notice in framerate drop when I go to 1600 X 1200. Although I would probably drop to 2X AA if I raised resolution just to balance.

Re: Post your specs and performance

Athlon XP 3200+
    6800 GT
    1GB RAM

vanilla BF2 pre patch 1.12:
    avg 30+ FPS

vanila BF2 after patch 1.12:
    avg 15 FPS

SF:
    haven´t tested it thoroughly yet, my gf bought it although I tried to talk her out of it.

I´m 100% positive that the cause isn´t system configuration (at least not in the sense of "it´s my fault"). I installed the BF2 demo again to test this. The demo runs 30+ fps on a 64 player Gulf of Oman server, while 1.12 BF2 seems to be magically capped at 15 fps. This is on 100% the same system configuration with equal settings, so it´s official: The patch sucks, something with the patch screwed a lot of people´s framerates. A friend is also complaining, he uses a ATI X800 XL (IIRC) and BF2 never stuttered on his comp, after the patch he now has times where it´s unplayable due to framerate drop.

Some screenshots of 64 player Sharqi on my system:
    http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7702/15fps19vb.png
    http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7874/15fps25da.png
    http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3883/15fps45nu.png
    http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9746/15fps51pu.png
    Note the red 15.0 in the upper left, strange eh?

I also started a vote on the EA forums:
    http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10260

Comment

In my opinion and experience I would say it is your 1 gig of RAM that is holding you back. You have a nice system and I would expect much higher framerates. I have played BF2 with 1 gig compared to my 2 gig's and it is a noticable difference. My system is not much better than yours and I can achieve 60 + fps @ 1600 X 1200! Of course that is with no AA. I understand your frustration...I went through this with BF:V, but I think it is more likely a compatibility issue than a patch or coding issue. Remember, the card series just below you (i.e. 5900) has to run on low just to be playable. Perhaps I'm just an ATI fanboy, but I would try an X800 and another gig of RAM.

Comment

In my sig, anyways, sound on med, no EAX. All high on 1024x1280, 6xaa, and 16xaf. About 60fps when using 1.03 patch, like 35-45 with the new 1.12 patch/xpack.

BTW, wrong section, hardware or support is where it belongs.

Comment

As I said: The demo is completely playable on my system, the only difference between the demo and patch 1.12 is 4 new unlocks that have to be loaded, and the flashbangs. I don´t think that those together with my 1GB RAM can be made responsible for cutting my framerate in half and making the game unplayable.
          I had 512 MB for a pretty long time btw, and the game was much more playable with 1.03 then, than it is with 1GB and 1.12 now.
          What remains as a cause is some bad code deep in the 1.12 patch, that cripples framerates on certain computers (which combination of system specs+1.12 causes this seems pretty random and is unknown).

Comment

Originally posted by Battlefresh
            Apparently many people are having performance issues. I believe a lot of these are system configuration issues and not BF2's coding. Perhaps if we all list our PC's specs and how well BF2/ BF2:SF runs we can get an idea of how well our configurations should run.

My PC:

ASUS P4P800 AGP Motherboard
            Pentium IV 3.4E (Air Cooled, stock speed)
            2 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (Dual Channel)
            ATI X800XT AIW
            SB Audigy Gamer

My Settings:

1280 X 1024 @85Hz
            All settings on high
            4X AA
            Sound set to Hardware and high (EAX enabled)

With this configuration BF2 and BF2:SF run fantastic. I used to run at 1600 X 1200 and would run BF2 at 60 fps average. I lowered the resolution because I actually like how it looks at 1280 X 1024 better, but there is no major notice in framerate drop when I go to 1600 X 1200. Although I would probably drop to 2X AA if I raised resolution just to balance.
            Wow a gamer that still uses a Pentium? Strange.
            AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939 Clawhammer
            2GB of Kingston Hyper-X DDR400 CL2 Memory Dual-Channel
            Maxtor SATA-150 200GB HDD
            Power Color X800GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E
            ASROCK DUAL 939 SATA2 Mobo
            Creative Audigy 2 Sound Card

Comment

Originally posted by j-train
              Wow a gamer that still uses a Pentium? Strange.
              AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939 Clawhammer
              2GB of Kingston Hyper-X DDR400 CL2 Memory Dual-Channel
              Maxtor SATA-150 200GB HDD
              Power Color X800GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E
              ASROCK DUAL 939 SATA2 Mobo
              Creative Audigy 2 Sound Card
              I'm sure there are many of us still running Intel processors out there. My 3.4E has treated me very well and I see no need to change complete motherboards/processors and re-install windows just to use the "gamers" processor. I'd consider an AMD San Diego core in my next system, but with quad core Intel chips on the horizon I may just stay with them.

Comment

P4 Prescott 880Mhz FSB 1MB Cache (HT enabled)
                Gigabyte Mobo
                2GB Corsair XMS3200
                256mb Sapphire X800XT PE (540/1.4Ghz) Cat5.12 (AGP)
                Audigy 4pro
                WD Raptor raid0 HD

since new patch i've had to drop everything to medium except for geometry and terrain which is high @ 1280 x 1024 2xAA + adaptive AA enabled & 4 X AF

er.. no...actually it doesn't

Comment

Specs below

1280x1024 / 4x AA / 8x AF / all settings to high and set to Creative X-Fi for high quality sound. In BF2 I run anywhere from 45-90fps, in SF its anywhere from 26-90fps.

I don't agree with your opinion that there isn't a coding problem. I've built well over 100 computers in the last 10 years, and I do know how to properly configure a rig. There is no excuse for what Dice did with SF.

All reviewers agree there is a serious problem with SF that should be fixed, and that is why the so-called expansion pak is getting poor reviews.

Comment

Question: is there a conveniant way to gather all the specs for your system?

If not, how do I know what processor I have?

Comment

Originally posted by 2000sDigitalBoy
                      Question: is there a conveniant way to gather all the specs for your system?

If not, how do I know what processor I have?
                      Download Sandra SR5. It will tell you more than you need to know about your system. Or you can find out manually, but I assume you wouldn't ask if you knew how to do that. Download here..it's free:http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

Comment

Awesome

Let's see...

Intel Pentium4 Processor (2.80GHz)
                        512MB DDR-SDRAM
                        ATI Radeon 9200 AGP

Is that bad? Because it runs rather horribly. :P

Comment

P4 2.4c @ 3.0
                          Abit IS7-E2
                          2G PC3200
                          NVIDIA 6800 Ultra AGP
                          Audigy

1024x768
                          everything on high 2x AA

who says you need an A64 to play the game..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ght-vision.jpg

Comment

Inspiron 8600 Dell Laptop 1.8GHZ Pentium M Processor
                            1 GB standard RAM
                            Radeon 9600 Turbo 128 MB Graphics Card
                            Lapcool 2 laptop fan with 4 port usb (very important since games heat this sucker up)

I have never had issues running BF2 and SF on LOW settings with NO AA or Dynamic Lighting. When I raise anything to medium the game will lockup in about 30 minutes since it heats up so much it cannot handle the stress. The only beef I have is how low the FPS are during Night Vision. Otherwise I am very satisfied running on low and my stats are pretty good to boot.

Comment

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939
                              GeForce 6800 Ultra 256 MB PCIe
                              2 GB GeIL PC3200 DDR RAM 400Mhz
                              Albatron K8SLi ATX AMD Motherboard
                              Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
                              Western 80GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer

This is the computer that I'm currently building. From what you guys have posted, it looks like it will run the game just fine

Comment

Working...
                              X