Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you really need a Joystick for flying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you really need a Joystick for flying?

Just wondering, I have been pretty bad at flying with a keyboard. I mean why is it so hard just to make flying easier instead giving a go's sign for people who have joystick.

Re: Do you really need a Joystick for flying?

In my opinion, yes. If you want to keep up with a joystick without straining your arm, yes. It won't make you good off the bat, but with a few weeks of practicing you'll be pretty good, and a few months later you'll own the air.

I also use my stick for choppers and it's incredible.

Comment

You do not need a joystick.....you will want one when you consistently get owned by men who have them. When I get behind another jet, I can tell fairly quickly if hes using a joystick.

Comment

Joystick's are a necessity to survive in the air. The Logitech 3D Pro is like $30-40 at Wal-Mart. That's what I use and it works well. Programmable buttons, etc. Just wish there was an easier way to spot what's in front of you (Q + Left-Mouse-Click). There's no way to simulate the LMC in the software. This would be VERY usefull when pursuing another jet, as you could tell what direction he is relative to you after you spot him!

Comment

Before BF2 i played combat flight sims so i got really good at flying with a joystick. Now flying in BF is really easy. However i hate the heelicopters and planes if BF so it doesn't really help me...

Comment

If you dont get a joystick flying the helicopter will work ok, but flying a jet wont work at all. A joystick increases your flying ability in a jet ten fold. If ur going to be flying regularly its worth picking up a joystick

Comment

I'll second the joystick recommendations. Anyone can learn to fly the helos just fine with a keyboard, but flying jets without a joystick is out of the question. It's just way too complicated and you have too many axes to keep up with. Throttle modulation, pitch, yaw, rotation, you name it, it's too many keys but a joystick makes it easy. Especially joysticks with decent throttle control (Saitek Cyborg Evo) that you throttle up and then concentrate on not hitting trees.

Comment

joystick my ass... just turn up ur sensitivity to like 5.50.. u'll b set to go.. just practice..

Comment

You don't need it but it's good to have one.

Comment

No not to fly, but Yes to fly well.
                    You can use it for a chopper aswell though I've seen many people better with a mouse for a chopper.

It was a decent attempt for them to make it workable with a keyboard/mouse but gaming wise it was a life.

Comment

Joystick all the way.

Just buy a cheap one if you're not sure. It's always nice to have options.

Comment

Originally posted by -(PK)-DarkIllusion
                        joystick my ass... just turn up ur sensitivity to like 5.50.. u'll b set to go.. just practice..
                        Thats what i did and im fine in the jet.

Comment

If you dont get a joystick flying the helicopter will work ok, but flying a jet wont work at all.
                          I have two joysticks, one from logitech and one just on a gamepad, however i find it much easier to fly on keyboard, i dunno why and maybe im the only one. I can do flips and stunts which is pretty neat, and as someone said above jsut turn up your sensitivity a lot. Follow your heart pedro, thats what i do.

Comment

I have a Saitek Cyborg EVO and love it. But I use mouse and WASD for helis and I'm getting pretty durn good. I'm using trails as practice for precision flying (basically a corridor of trees) staying as close to the ground as possible. It's fun to watch the bots scatter as I zoom over their heads and it makes for beautiful Battlefield Recorder shots. The only thing I'm noticing is that although my flying is getting very good, I tend to stay within three patterns (but thats probably because I almost always play single player): infinite C loops, reversing O loops stopping for ammo and repairs when necissary which also allows me a peak at the home base for any sneaks, and variations of full map 8 loops. Unfortunately, in single player, the bots, while powerful in the AI department, tend to become predictible for each map after you've done the run several times.

The heli also takes on a new purpose when you play the merc mod and can blow up the UAV trailer with a string of rockets (then loop back and get spawning bots as they head towards battle from the behind).

I'm really interested in trying out the Logitech G5 and it's customizable weight =).Wireless definately is NOT the way to go for flying though (which I currently use).

Comment

no joystick..no control becuase its nearly impossible to do a slight turn on a keyboard perfectly...u mite try tapping the left button in a pattern, but its too hard like that

Comment

Working...
                              X