Ranked vs. Unranked Server Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranked vs. Unranked Server Question.

I'm doing some looking around for my clan. We'd like to join a ladder in the near future but have a problem. We run a Ranked server and my understanding is that we cannot password it for matches. Do we need to pick up an additional unranked server just for matchplay, or is there a way around this? I've been told some servers have the ability to switch off Ranking during a match to allow a matchplay server config. Is there any truth to this? If so, can anyone point me towards a good server provider. Thanks.

Re: Ranked vs. Unranked Server Question.

Originally posted by Mikevolta
    I'm doing some looking around for my clan. We'd like to join a ladder in the near future but have a problem. We run a Ranked server and my understanding is that we cannot password it for matches. Do we need to pick up an additional unranked server just for matchplay, or is there a way around this? I've been told some servers have the ability to switch off Ranking during a match to allow a matchplay server config. Is there any truth to this? If so, can anyone point me towards a good server provider. Thanks.
    You aren't allowed to PW a ranked server. So you need to get a separate server for matches. Doesn't someone in your clan have a nice pipe and the room to host a match server?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikevolta
      You cannot password a ranked server that is true however you have 2 options. If you use BF2CC daemon to admin your server, simply click settings then general settings you can untick rankings enabled then restart your server and it will restart as unranked, then you can password it. If you don't have daemon access you can "effectively" password your ranked server by simply removing the name of it, then just pass out the ip.

Comment

We have a couple of guys with 6-8mb connections. What kind of bandwidth does BF2 require? I come from a Medal of Honor: Allied Assault background and in the past 6-8mb connections on member pc's were only good enough for 3-4 players. My understanding is that we'll need a server with FTP access for most ladders as well for the required server configs.

Comment

Our ranked server has a 100mbit connection but its the upload speed thats important. Whilst some of your guys may have 6-8mbit connections what are their upload speeds? 256k upload can handle 3-4 players or so. If you base it on about 80k upload speed per person that should help you work out how much you need.

Some hosts run TWL and CAL configs which you can switch too otherwise if you want ftp access you will probably need to get a separate unranked server with ftp access.

Comment

Working...
          X