Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Significant Point differences between Ranked & Unranked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Significant Point differences between Ranked & Unranked?

Uncanny...

Ranked servers, I'm always outside the top 3.
    Unranked servers, I'm mostly inside the top 3.

What's the deal here? At first I thought "well, all the top guys are going to be on the ranked servers", but then I've seen threads were players with particularly good skill have gravitated to unranked.

Just 'musing...

Re: Significant Point differences between Ranked & Unranked?

personal choice, nothing more than that, I haven't been all that impressed with the game play on unranked servers (I get the impression people just use them to practice, not play)....perception does not necessarily equal reality

Comment

Originally posted by Vasquez
      Uncanny...

Ranked servers, I'm always outside the top 3.
      Unranked servers, I'm mostly inside the top 3.

What's the deal here? At first I thought "well, all the top guys are going to be on the ranked servers", but then I've seen threads were players with particularly good skill have gravitated to unranked.

Just 'musing...
      Well isn't it obvious? You can't use all of your hacks and cheats on the ranked -- that's why you're so good on the unranked.

:^}

Comment

True. However at the moment, there are few and far between good BF2 ranked servers with decent pings for me... I'd say when I go to the server browser, there's 1 ranked for every 5 unranked BF2...

Oh well, I'll keep waiting

Comment

Originally posted by Rafterman
          Well isn't it obvious? You can't use all of your hacks and cheats on the ranked -- that's why you're so good on the unranked.

:^}
          Har har

Comment

The ranked servers are loaded with people that are there for one thing: points. Chances are, half the server are actually better than the people in the top 3 in most cases. However, the people near the top are the ones sitting there camping spawns just to get points.

Unranked servers keep getting a negative view because of this ranked server crap. The ranked server phenomenom is rather sad because you find like, 1 in 500 that has a good community, good admin base, good ping, and all of that, things that used to be common in BF1942 because everyone wasn't out for ribbons and points in some shallow and fake ranking system. They were there for fun.

The ranked servers will lose their appeal soon after the beginning of the new year though when the mods come out. Either EA accepts mods officially, or their ranked servers are going to take a big hit when the mods and their respective followings go to unranked community server running their favorite flavor of mod.

Comment

T-minus 5 minutes before someone from Tactical Gamer comes in here handing out pamphlets and offering free stress tests.

Comment

Originally posted by ||ass||variable
                T-mins 5 minutes before someone from Tactical Gamer comes in here handing out pamphlets and offering free stress tests.
                Do I get a free blood pressure test and some orange juice and cookies too?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse

The ranked servers are loaded with people that are there for one thing: points. Chances are, half the server are actually better than the people in the top 3 in most cases. However, the people near the top are the ones sitting there camping spawns just to get points.
                  Yeah dude, that's all we do, Spawn Camp?

T

Comment

Originally posted by Tobacco

T
                    Way to mold words around your own interpretation. I didn't say that's what everyone in a ranked server does, but a lot of them. You prove to me that people don't exist in ranked servers whose sole purpose in the game is to spawncamp, and I'll gain a little respect for the ranked server phenomenom.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobacco
                      You too? Glad I'm not the only one!! :laugh:

Comment

Tell you guys a secret, once i get all my unlocks, im not playing on ranked servers. no point really, blazin has taken #1 in less time than i can shake a stick at, and points hungry children tk for vehicles, or even more sadly, weapons. plus, mods will prove to be the final answer to bf2, as EA has produced incompetancy as to dealing with bugs and even providing decent expansions.. dont get me wrong i like SF, but, it feels same old same old in recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by ||ass||variable
                          T-minus 5 minutes before someone from Tactical Gamer comes in here handing out pamphlets and offering free stress tests.
                          HAHA!

To be honest, top-scoring is not that difficult for a skilled player, you just sometimes need to ignore some game fundamentals like teamwork and chain of command. I find it to be quite the opposite to what is reported above. I find it much easier to top score on ranked than unranked, it all depends if you feel like playing the lone wolf game. The simplest method is basic hardware whoring. If you're good with hardware, then you'll rack up the kills, especially if you spawn camp.

On unranked, I almost always play CO or SL and in an environment where teamwork is emphasised, you will find that a SL needs to protect themselves somewhat from the action to preserve a spawn point for his squad. If your game follows a chain of command and is objective-based upon CPs and following orders, then a SL will rarely score in the top 3. If you are directing your troops properly, giving waypoints and providing proper SITREPs, then you are simply not going to be killing as much, capping flags or handing out goodies.

So, if you are into lone wolfing it, or can team up with a good squad who are hell-bent on scoring, then you can do it often. If your objective is to follow CO orders and provide the best support for your team to win, then you will likely sacrifice that top score.

Comment

Working...
                          X