Choppers and the Mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choppers and the Mouse

Ok, so far I've been flying my choppers (transport and attack) with my joystick and I'm quite good at it. However, I feel like I've come up against some limitations in the joystick hardware, for example, I just can't make any real sudden movements with it. So I crash once in a while where I am just pulling on the joystick for dear life but to no avail.

Last night I flew with this guy, =BlueSeal= or something, who's using his mouse to fly. He could do barrel rolls and all sorts of moves, just feet above the ground.

I'd like to try flying with a mouse and am wondering if anyone does it and what their configuration looks like. What axis does what, etc.

Anyone willing to share?

Re: Choppers and the Mouse

use keyboard only for choppers.

Comment

Thanks for the advice but that's not really what I was asking for...

Comment

I use mouse for Helo and joystick for jets.

For the mouse/kb, its the usual wsad for up/down and tail rotor movement, the mouse handles tilt forward/back and side to side.

One KEY to this is having your mouse sensitivity set very high. A trick is to start with it at a level that feels comfortable for you, then move it up every so often. With it at higher settings you'll be able to pull up easier and not plow into the side of buildings/mountains, etc..

Comment

Exactly why, I hate buildings

I've got a Razor mouse so I can change the sensitivity on the fly. That should help I guess.

So I would use W/S for the throttle basically?

Comment

Originally posted by peekj
            Thanks for the advice but that's not really what I was asking for...
            yes i know, but what im suggesting is if u use keyboard only, u will find it much easier to control the choppers and u will be able to do any movement u want. at least, that's my experience.

Comment

Very true. I found that you can't do much with joysticks when flying choppers as you can with keyboard. You can make sudden movements and do some outragious stuff. You should really use a keyboard for choppers and joystick for jets

Although my love for the choppers have gone ever since flying jets and getting gold medals almost everytime Choppers too vulnerable to stingers, tanks, HMVVs etc. Jets are king of the skies and can pretty much take out everything you see!

Comment

I find that a trackball is best with the choppers, you can make quick movements by rolling the ball with your thumb and overcompensate fairly easily should you need to.

I scare the hell out of my gunners.

$.02

Comment

I guess I'll give this a try. I'm good with the joystick so I can always fall back on that. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Comment

I use a Joystick for both Choppers and Planes. I can pull back flips and barrel rolls with my joystick

I haven't treid a mouse/keyboard yet...

Comment

I can pull barrel rolls and stuff with the joystick, too, but they're nowhere near as tight. I drop about 50ft with a roll...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Misfit
                        I use mouse for Helo and joystick for jets.

For the mouse/kb, its the usual wsad for up/down and tail rotor movement, the mouse handles tilt forward/back and side to side.

One KEY to this is having your mouse sensitivity set very high. A trick is to start with it at a level that feels comfortable for you, then move it up every so often. With it at higher settings you'll be able to pull up easier and not plow into the side of buildings/mountains, etc..
                        why not use a joystick for the chopper? is can move faster, smoother or better with a joytick to overwhelm all my chopper ennemies... why mouse? that dont make no sense at all....

oh!,maybe your joystik dosen't have the "lacet" side-to-side movement you can do... and if you dont have a sensitive trottle command that's even worse :hmm:

Comment

what is "lacet" side to side movement?

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bad
                            what is "lacet" side to side movement?
                            i think he meant the rudder control.

Comment

My joystick has rudder control (ie twist the handle sideways)

Comment

Working...
                              X