new security software is jacking up my latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new security software is jacking up my latency

all of a sudden i get kicked from servers for high average ping. the only thing that changed is this new security software suite i installed. anti virus, anti spyware, firewall, etc.

at first i didn't use the firewall, and just went with the windows firewall, but it lags eitherway. I even tried shutting the new software down and playing without a firewall and it still lagged. bf2 is on my exceptions list for the windows firewall, and i added it to the new firewall, nothing helps.

any thoughts? suggestions?

the reason i'm using this new software is that the free intro period on my Computer Associates software ran out and now I'm using the software provided by my ISP. maybe it's just crap and i'm going to have to pay for good stuff?

thanks

btw, i posted a similar thread in the tech support forum over 8 hours ago and didn't get a single reply, so sorry if this is out of place here.

Re: new security software is jacking up my latency

i use the free zonealarm and use ad-aware for my spyware program. i also use fix it utilites 5 for my antivirus. thing is i allow zone and fix it to run even when i play bf2 and dont have a single prob. sometimes what ur ISP provides u isnt always the best. like i said zonealarm is good for a software firewall and a rounter is good for a hardware fire wall wich i have both. the new microsoft beta anti spyware program is good. also ad aware is good also. all three of those are free. try those and see what happens

also how manytimes has ur ping gone up since u installed the new software. i know for awhile i was having prob with my ISP for high pings and it was on there end. they finaly fixed it. check with ur ISP to see if they are having probs

Comment

thanks for the reply Stilla. Yeah, i've used zone alarm before, might have to go back to that. I don't think it's on the ISPs end, because I haven't had any problems playing bf2 since i installed it in July. I get really high latency on steam games too, so It's not bf2.

Comment

If you have a router that will have a firewall in it anyway so you don't really need one on your computer unless you are really paranoid.
        I maybe the antivirus is updating perminatly, which would do this, there is probbaly an option to set a time for teh automatic update, or you can turn it off and manually do it when you wish.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, problem resolved. I just paid for the actual software and re-installed it. BF2 works like before.

Comment

Working...
          X