WTF is up with EA & BF:2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is up with EA & BF:2 ?

Sorry for the rant but I'm wondering wtf is up with EA?

When I bought BF:2 back when it was released, it had craptacular performance, crashes, lagging etc.

After many reinstalls, changing BIOS settings, installing new video drivers, reinstalling punkbuster, defragging my HD, performing a voodoo ritual and many days spent scouring these forums and others I finally got BF:2 to run properly. A very frustrating procedure.

Monday, I bought BF2:SF (I waited and bought a cd copy didnt want to deal with the downloaded version I'm not a sadomasochist)

Downloaded the patch, installed the game, and reinstalled the patch.

The game now has craptastic stability, is laggy and takes forever to load. Sometimes the game will load and I'll get a black screen were the game is playing but I cant see anything. Sometimes the game crashes on the interface screen into a multicolored screen. If I do get into a game, it only after trying at least 3-4 servers unsuccessfully and having had to restart the app multiple times.:hmm:

I've uninstalled both versions, resinstalled, patched, and have all the latest drivers. I have a pretty decent rig that has no problems playing any other games. WHY, oh WHY does BF2 cause such grief?!

Do I have to cut off my hand and place it in the goblet of fire to actually get this game to work??

Could someone who actually has SF running smoothly please tell me what I need to do to get this crappy game running or direct me to a post that has some explanations?:cry:

Thanks

Re: WTF is up with EA & BF:2 ?

lol I had th same porblem with Bf2, the cashing and what-not and it took forever to get running porperly, but now it does and it runs like a dream, but SF is another story, occionaslly i lose all of my garhpics while playing online, when i get into a server i got about 30 secs of continous laggyness, but its still very playable and i dont really mind, the expansion pack is so great I dont really care about the laggness

Comment

No need for this to turn into a flame war, but Chippewa, it does sound like your computer had major issues. Sure, the game isn't perfect, what PC game is, but there are many thousands of us out there who made sure our systems were up to speed, threw in the install CDs and loaded up the game, and have been playing trouble free ever since.

Comment

When I bought SF, installed it, the the 1.12 patch. Loaded up a map, let me press join and whaa laaaah, "Please revert your BF2 to its original unmodified content". I deleted the Bf2 mod folder and reinstalled all 3 things again, same crap. I had to completely wipe EA/Battlefield 2 off the harddrive, remove the registry crap and resinstall everything for the billionth time. SF was about 2 seconds from becoming a Frisbi Disc! Once installed my FPS dropped, I have terminal "Verifying Client", literally, I can take a tour of the african interior before this loads up. If it went ANY slower it would go BACK IN TIME! Im glad that $30.00 WASN'T HARD EARNED or I'de be ****ed! lol

Comment

Back in the day when i bought BF2 i had some small performance issues but the game runs fine now, however when i bought BF2:SF i started getting massive lagg anywhere everywhere, im putting SF on my shelf until some of the problems are fixed...

Ok you can start flaming now.

Comment

I dont think all the flaming is helping any. Anyone can tell you how bad your momma is or whatever. Its gonna take a community effert to fix most of these problems. While Im at it it might be helpful if people added what kind of a connection and provider you are using. Also what type of power supply your computer has, how many watts, manufacturer. Since we really dont know for sure whats causing the problems we dont know what the critical info is. We might be able to find a common element connecting the people with the worst problems. Anyone who does repair work knows the first step is to identify the problem, then back track it to its source.....Red

Comment

clean out old vid drivers, with a driver cleaner, then install latest ones, helped me alot, Uninstalling driver through Windows wont do

Comment

A lot of people don't know how to troubleshoot games by themselfs.
                For example, a lot of people don't restart after installing/patching a game.
                I do this all the time. How many problems have I had? 0. How many problems has my friend has who constantly tells me restarting is stupid ? A lot.
                A lot of people use other programs while games are installing/patching...
                Every little thing matters.

Some tips for you...
                Try updating your sound and video drivers.

If that dont work, and you get desperate, I suggest reformat, install brand new drivers, install bf2, patch it, install SF, patch it.

Comment

Also terminate all those crappy progs you dont need while playing, eg. p2p-progs, virusprogs, mailprogs etc etc
                  But best tip is reinstall everyting without any creative tweaks
                  If that aint working either, buy a new rig (yeah most likely)

Comment

My best advice is to run the game on low to get it to run if all else fails. Also be sure to update everything(drivers, sound card files, bios, etc). The only real thing that ****es me off is the insane load times. As previously said you can literally call your grandma for five minutes and still not be in the map.

Comment

That and the lag in helis. All I hear on maps
                      [and rightfully so] is "L A G in Heli? wtf?".
                      A defrag and 2GB RAM keeps my load time short...
                      most of the time. But SF has increased them a bit.

Don't think it's right to flame the poor guy, he's
                      just looking for a few helpful people and good advice.
                      Or an answer to why the game was made so badly.
                      BF2 and SF are easily the most demading and problematic
                      games I've owned, so I sympathize.

Comment

Originally posted by Chippewa
                        Sorry for the rant but I'm wondering wtf is up with EA?

When I bought BF:2 back when it was released, it had craptacular performance, crashes, lagging etc.

After many reinstalls, changing BIOS settings, installing new video drivers, reinstalling punkbuster, defragging my HD, performing a voodoo ritual and many days spent scouring these forums and others I finally got BF:2 to run properly. A very frustrating procedure.

Monday, I bought BF2:SF (I waited and bought a cd copy didnt want to deal with the downloaded version I'm not a sadomasochist)

Downloaded the patch, installed the game, and reinstalled the patch.

The game now has craptastic stability, is laggy and takes forever to load. Sometimes the game will load and I'll get a black screen were the game is playing but I cant see anything. Sometimes the game crashes on the interface screen into a multicolored screen. If I do get into a game, it only after trying at least 3-4 servers unsuccessfully and having had to restart the app multiple times.:hmm:

I've uninstalled both versions, resinstalled, patched, and have all the latest drivers. I have a pretty decent rig that has no problems playing any other games. WHY, oh WHY does BF2 cause such grief?!

Do I have to cut off my hand and place it in the goblet of fire to actually get this game to work??

Could someone who actually has SF running smoothly please tell me what I need to do to get this crappy game running or direct me to a post that has some explanations?:cry:

Thanks
                        I was running bf2 vanilla all ultra-high 6xaa 100vd 1280x1024 , ran like an escaped prisoner.... Tried running SF with the same settings and maps like iron, warlord , or soemtimes night maps would get all laggy here and there.
                        What ive done that has helped is in video.con ive changed everything to high:

VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 3
                        VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 3
                        VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 3
                        VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 3
                        VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 3
                        VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 3
                        VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 3
                        VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 3
                        VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@85Hz
                        VideoSettings.setAntialiasing 6samples
                        VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 0.9
                        VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 3

Now everything is set to high , still 6xaa but with 800x600 resolution. Runs well now even when inside the palace on warlord.... should I have to lower my settings to play the exp. pack smoothly? no but EA/Dice couldnt give a flying f*ck since they already have my 30$ They didnt fix the bf2 problems before mentioning another xpack "who gives a dam sweden/switzerland or dice canada" now that we have this buggy -yet fun- xpack they are already talking about the next xpack to come and this thing here is riddled with bugs out the a'ss (long load times , desktop crashes , horrible performance , fps drops , etc etc)..I suggest copying my video.con and see if it helps you because from what im seeing we may not be in for a fix anytime soon if at all.

also grab some more ram if u can. I upped to 1.5 and at the most ive noticed on my pc bf2 takes about 1 gig when under full load you may need more ram but the xpansion has more bugs than an ant farm so dont expect much without dropping some settings

Comment

-moved to support, if you need help ask in the right forums.

-don't rant, nobody wants to read it-

Comment

Working...
                          X