How to mix mods & safe Punkbuster play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mix mods & safe Punkbuster play

This past weekend I discovered that after I updated my games and server to the 1.12 (server program not an actual machine), that I couldn't connect to my own LAN. I kept getting booted for having modified content.

Now, I did have unofficial mods on earlier installs, but I had uninstalled them all, and both BF2 and Special Forces, and reinstalled everything official. But I was still getting booted.

In my cleaning process I discovered traces of the mods in my registry and figure this is what really fixed the problem for me (removing them), but that now leads me to question: How can we ensure that multiplayer gaming won't be affected by modified games? I'm sure tons of you have mods or are paying attention to mods in development. A large part of this site is about modifying the games (ie the bfapocalypse.com mod). But now I'm afraid to install any of those.

I know some suggest a multiple install, but the only mods I could find when fixing my LAN problem were based in the registry. Regardless of what folder I run the game out of, the mods are still going to have registry keys.

Anyone know of a safe way to mix the two? Thanks!

Re: How to mix mods & safe Punkbuster play

I stay away from mods. I only play on ranked servers, problem fixed! I know somepeople enjoy mods, but I don't trust them. BF2 is buggy enough all on it's own, I doubt it would be very stable with bloated modifications.

Comment

Re: How to mix mods & safe Punkbuster play

Well that doesn't really solve this particular problem. I want to be able to play the mods. The won't affect BF2 as long as there's a duel installation.

Comment

Working...
      X