Special Forces Cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Forces Cache

Besides the various bugs and problems that most of us seem to be experiencing, ranging from mediocre computers to gaming powerhouses (and sprinkled with the occasional person who hasn't had a single problem and can't figure out why the rest of us are so stupid), one of the biggest bugs I personally feel, is the fact that Special Forces shares the regular BF2 cache files. These are the optimization files based on the in-game video settings. Basically, this means since most of us are experiencing different framerates in Special Forces (generally I see people saying that they're getting around half the FPS, which is about where I am), you either have to dumb down BF2 quality, or delete the cache, refrag, and reoptimize each time you switch between the two.

So my question is this: Why does xpack have a cache then? And why is it empty? I understand that Special Forces is really just a big "mod". The target to open Special Forces is the standard bf2.exe with a code string to callup the xpack mod. But there has to be a reason that there's an xpack cache folder.

I'd be a hundred percent happy with Special Forces if I could at least dumb down the graphics for it and it only. I like switching between the two kinds of play (I have never played online and rarely LAN) but I can do BF2 with everything on HIGH, and for Special Forces I have to cut my resolution down to 1280x1024 and anti-aliasing by 2/3 (and still stutter a little).

I'm pretty sure no one has a fix and that it won't be addressed until the next patch (hopefully), but has anyone else noticed this, and does it bug you as much as it does me? Is there, by offchance, a way to use the xpack cache?

I'm thinking of maybe making backups of both optimizations and interchanging them as the case may be, but I'm afraid that It'll still have to optimize each time and after hours of messing around with the games I really don't have it in me to stare at another optimization screen for 20 minutes...

Re: Special Forces Cache

Make 2 profiles, one for SF and one for BF2. I understand you will lose all your earned unlocks and ranks, but it is a temporary work around to what you are experiencing.

Comment

Re: Special Forces Cache

Great idea! I'll try that. Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X