a few noobie questions about RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few noobie questions about RAM

what is Dual Channel....what's the difference?
    do heat spreaders make any difference?
    *is it true that you should not mix 2 different company's RAM?
    ex. Samsung and Corsair?!

Re: a few noobie questions about RAM

Dual channel speeds up the computers ability to read/write information. Yes heat spreaders help. And generally its a good idea not to mix companies. For sure don't mix speeds, but try not to mix companies if you can avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos
      Dual channel speeds up the computers ability to read/write information. Yes heat spreaders help. And generally its a good idea not to mix companies. For sure don't mix speeds, but try not to mix companies if you can avoid it.
      Thanks...I have the exact same speed, and all the that... The only difference is addition of Heatspreaders, Dual Channel kit....and companies---new RAM

My computer crashed today while playing BF2 with 2 mixed ram
      2 x 512mb's Samsung + 2 x 1GB's XMS Corsair(new)...I had to take out the new ram so I could start windows

I also heard that I should not mix the old and new RAM...and that I should try just using the new sticks and see what happens

Also, here aree my specs:

3.2 speed
      RAM---you already know it
      111GB's hardrive...50+ free
      Nvidia 6800GT 256mb
      Windows XP Home Edition
      PC company - Alienware, Area 51 extreme edition

Comment

The Corsair is the better RAM that is for sure. You can run MemTest86 (do a google search for it) and see if it fails any tests. Chances are it will, but you can atleat narrow it down. Run it with just the Samsung, then run it with just the Corsair, then run it with both. It will take the better part of a day so be prepared to spend some time getting to know your machine

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos
          The Corsair is the better RAM that is for sure. You can run MemTest86 (do a google search for it) and see if it fails any tests. Chances are it will, but you can atleat narrow it down. Run it with just the Samsung, then run it with just the Corsair, then run it with both. It will take the better part of a day so be prepared to spend some time getting to know your machine
          okay, ill do it over the weekend, or something...thx

Comment

Yeah the XMS is pretty good ram. I would stick w/ it for sure.

Comment

That sucks you got a Alienware, they just suck you dry (Financially speaking). KingOfKhaos hit the nail on the head so to speak... There is no need for you to bother with that Samsung ram. I would just leave it out if it is giving you problems. 2 gigs is fine. I have 3 gigs and there is 0% performance difference. I basically just got 3 gigs for later on, I won't have to upgrade.

What are the speeds of the RAM. Because, lets say your Samsung is (PC 3200), and your Corsair are (PC5400) Which I am sure they are, you would most likely be getting problems from that. So if I were you, like I said earlier, just ditch the samsung since 3 gigs won't benifiet you at all.

P.S.: You used to go by the name "St0n3d W0lf" didn't you? Bahahahaha

Comment

I have 1.25 GB of Corsair (1GB of XMS 256 of non) and I have never had a problem. I have 2GB of Kingston Hyper-X and I love it.

Comment

Well, basicly, I was just hoping to have 3GB's of RAM..but I guess I was wrong, because you can't mix them

My BF2 runs much better now, but SF is still ****ed up...and I realized that if I want SF to run smooth, I would have to get one of those expensive video cars -- 7 series...but then I also realized that it's a waste of money for a $30 game...I get 60-80fps for BF2 and low 20's - 35 for SF on max settings with max resolution.

Thanks for help though.

btw, my Corsair is exactly the same as Samsung except a few things
                  ---DDR 400, PC3200, Dual Channel, with heat spreaders, unbuffered

Comment

Also, what's Screen Refresh Rate...is it the higher the better?...I have it at 60

Comment

*bump*

Comment

Working...
                      X