Problem with n52 gamepad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with n52 gamepad

I recently switched from the n50 to the n52 gamepad. With the n50, I had helicopter/jet throttle mapped to the scroll wheel. I tried to set the same control on the n52, and it doesn't work. The scroll wheel seems to work in steps, instead of a sliding scale.....If you look in the programming controls, when you scroll the wheel five clicks forward, the software thinks you have clicked a button five times. Even after you stop moving the wheel, the software still thinks you're clicking the button.

Does anybody know how to do what I'm trying to do??

Re: Problem with n52 gamepad

It's a different type of button now. The old scrool wheel on the n50 actually acted like a joystick axis with upper and lower limits.

Now, the scroll wheel acts exactly like a mouse scroll wheel. So you could try mapping helicopter throttle up to mouse scroll up and throttle down to mouse scroll down. And leave the n52 scroll wheel properties set to default values.

Comment

I use the scroll wheel on my mouse for things when playing on foot. Will I be able to use those same functions like I have been, and still map throttle to the wheel on the n52? Any idea?

Comment

Yes, go into your profile editor and do the following:

click on the Mouse Scroll Wheel Up box
        select DI Axis Up
        select an unused axis from the drop down list (e.g. rz axis)

repeat for the Mouse Scroll Wheel Down box

that SHOULD work

Then go into BF2 and under 'throttle', try and map it by scrolling with the n52 wheel and tell me what happens and if it works.

Comment

That's actually what I already tried. If I map DI axis up and down as X axis and then set that as my throttle, it shows Joy Axis 0. This is where it gets wierd.......it also shows that as my Roll Right/Left.

If I use Y axis and set that as throttle, it shows Joy Axis 1....which is already assigned as my Pitch control.

If I use Z axis, it shows Joy Axis 2, which is not assigned as anything else....so I thought that might work. That's when it does what I described earlier. I have to constantly roll on the wheel to stay in the air.

I sent an e-mail to Belkin this morning, we'll see if they ever get back to me. More importantly, we'll see if they have anything constructive to add.

Comment

I see your point

Did you try the OTHER 3 axes, the R axes?

You'd figure they would have thought that people would be using the scroll wheel this way as they have included a way to map it to these various axes.

If BF2 had a button for 100% throttle, you could simply map it like that.

But since the interface and functionality of the scroll wheel between the n50 (axis) and n52 (scroll) are COMPLETELY different..I doubt you'll ever be able to get it working the way you want.

I never even thought about it until you brought it up. But then again, I never used the scroll wheel on my n50 as a throttle..I always used my joystick. I was GLAD the n52 scroll wheel was changed to be more like a mouse scroll. Because now I can map 3 different commands to it. Scroll up (cockpit view), click (camera view cycle), and scroll down (chase view).

Comment

I tried X, Y, Z, RX, RY, and RZ. I also tried one of the other three choices (mouse X axis, or something like that). The only one that came close to working was the Z axis, and it only came close to working.

This is unfortunate.....I like having the extra four buttons for the fingers and the extra two thumb buttons on the n52, but I prefered the scroll wheel from the n50. I guess you can't have everything.

Comment

Well, if you hear back from them, I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say.

Comment

Hey..have you tried this?

Create a macro on scroll up.
                  In the macro editing screen hit the 'Insert' button
                  Select 'Throttle' from the list.
                  Move the throttle slider to 'Throttle 100%'.

Create a macro on scroll down that sets throttle to 0%.

Try that.

Comment

Have you noticed that it's just you and me having a little conversation here??

I'll give that a try when I get home from work tonight. That would certainly be better than nothing....but not ideal. That solution would only allow me to be at 0 or 100% throttle from the sound of it. That's far from an ideal way to fly a chopper.

Still no word from Belkin. If you come up with any other suggestions, please let me know.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's probably because a lot of people either:

a) never owned the n50
                      or
                      b) never used the scroll wheel on the n50

I loved that scroll wheel when playing Mechwarrior 4!

Comment

It was worth a try.... I programmed the two macros in the nostromo software. When I went into bf2 control setup, it didn't do anything when I scrolled the wheel. It was like it didn't even recognize that I was doing anything.

Still no reply from Belkin.

Comment

Do you have any other USB game controller devices plugged in at all?

If so, try unplugging them. It SHOULD at least recognize the axis that you bound it to...

Comment

The only game devices I have plugged in are the n52 and my joystick. Removing any other devices is certainly something to try, but removing the joystick to fix the gamepad would be a fairly pointless fix since I'm trying to find a way to use the gamepad as throttle on a chopper.......

Comment

Originally posted by Second Gunman
                              It was worth a try.... I programmed the two macros in the nostromo software. When I went into bf2 control setup, it didn't do anything when I scrolled the wheel. It was like it didn't even recognize that I was doing anything.

Still no reply from Belkin.
                              Did you remember to update the profile and load that in with the profile loader? Otherwise it won't have any effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X